Where to spend the winter months

Thirty years next November 10th since the "Fitz" went down. Seems like yesterday. BTW, for you trivia buffs,
the Captain's last words (broadcast) were "We're holding our own!" Hopefully, those of us in ER can say the same, with a different outcome of course :)

JG

Several driveby shootings happen down Texas way with people who hog the left lane. Or get cut off and harassed when the vehicle behind them can get around them. I don't see the point of playing Russian roulette with 4 out of 6 chambers loaded.

If I'm not keeping up to the vehicle ahead of me, then I pull over.

New Orleans, 71 degrees, cloudy, rain on the way.

Can't wait for warm weather so I can get my Jimmy Buffett shirts out of the closet.

Maybe a month to spring.

Northern Illinois - 37 degrees, rainy and windy. But.......
the ice is out of the river and so I will soon be fishing
again. Just need to check the motor, and boat, and gear, and gas, and trailer wiring, and bait,
boat seats, anchor lines, etc etc. Next year at this time
we will be ensconced in Texas. Even DW is on board with it now. Once snowbirding begins, I can fish
year round, right out my front door. Whoo-hoo :)

JG

Yuba City CA...been in the upper 60's and low 70's with a light breeze the last 10 days. Rainy and 50 now.

Not a good place to be in the summertime though, unless you want to melt into the sidewalk.

I like the heat though...it builds character.

Aloha arctic blast...

... it was 68 degrees F this morning.

It's almost enough to make you want to wear socks!

Although I am not retirement age (25yrs old) and will hopefully be able to retire in 28 years or so, I would suggest looking at Cozumel. I was there last month and it is a great location. I know there is a San Miguel on the island, so not sure if it is the same one mentioned before or not.

I've been to Cozumel several times to dive. It was a real hoot about 17 years ago. Tiny little town, and a lot of monkeys (someone brought some to the island and they multiplied like crazy). When I was there last, about 7 years ago, the town was huge and starting to feel like a typical mexican tourista locale. I didnt see the monkeys anymore. The diving was still divine. At least there were a lot more good options for food with the increased tourism buildout. Cruise ships stopped there every afternoon and disgorged tons of pasty white people who wanted to buy lots of Mexi-Crap ("today for you, almost free!") :p

I hope thats where it stopped. Cancun was a similar place 20 years ago. Last time I was in Cozumel I took a hop over to Cancun...thought I was in Miami only cheezier.

I have done very little international traveling, but I've been pretty much all over the lower 48. I spent a lot of
time since 1993 scouting warm weather locations in the USA,
assuming I would relocate permanently at some point.
After I remarried in 2001 my efforts redoubled as
DW and I agreed that was the goal. My point here is that I believe it takes a lot of time to fiind the "right"
ER relocation destination, no matter how you slice it.
As support for this, 4 years later and one year after buying our Texas condo, I can't think of another location
which would have been my second choice. This is in spite of all the time we spent looking and discussing.
I know there are many many places that would have suited
our purposes. I just never found them and got
awfully tired of looking.

JG

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/feb2005/nf20050211_7492_db026.htm

According to this article, 7 of top 10 are in Florida. Duh?

Article also links taxes by State: http://www.retirementliving.com/RLtaxes.html

Oh, it mentions living in a gated community. How many thought about that? As I age, I realize that I become a target for the "young and restless" here in Texas. You can hear stories of older people (I worked with one couple) who are robbed and killed, simply because they appeared to have a little money. Maybe gated is safer.

h As I age, I realize that I become a target for the "young and restless" here in Texas. You can hear stories of older people (I worked with one couple) who are robbed and killed, simply because they appeared to have a little money. Maybe gated is safer.

Or move to Minnesota.
:D

Well, don't come to Texas ...... it was 85 last
Saturday as we basked in the sun watching my
granddaughter score 2 goals for her soccer team.
:D :D :D

Cheers,

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom