Where to stay in Chicago?

Thanks for the tip on the Groupon, I got some passes for my trip too. The apartment we're staying in has parking included and I'm just as happy parking the car and leaving it for the 4 days we're there. Especially after driving from Austin!

After hours of Internet searching different properties, i found a 3 BR place on vrbo.com.
It is in an old Swedish neighborhood, Andersonville. 4 nights, with all charges, comes to $781. This includes one garaged parking space.

37 reviews are all positive, including many comments on how easy it is to take bus downtown and to Wrigley Field and how the Andersonville community is fun after a day in the city.

I feel really good about it.:)

Sounds good! We've vacationed with extended family, and a home rental worked out well for us.

My Swedish in-laws head to Andersonville to stock up on Swedish food staples (lingonberries and Limpa bread are great, potato sausage - meh, lutefisk you can keep). It will be a bit of a ride/drive to get downtown, but not too bad (Clark street bus takes you the whole way). And if you take Devon Ave from the lake and head west, there are interesting Middle Eastern neighborhoods. Or take Lawrence west to hit Korea Town.

Enjoy!

-ERD50

Well that was quite a change in finding a place. I never would've guessed on Andersonville! I grew up < 4 blocks from there and had an apt in Andersonville yrs ago too. You're < 1 mi from New Chinatown (Broadway/Argyle) too. If you like duck, there's only one place (that I've read) that serves Peking Duck in Chicago, Sun Wah BBQ and you need to order in advance ($35). Personally, I've only had this twice (LA and Hong Kong). Going downtown is much faster by "L" than by bus. If you're closer to Broadway, there's a stop just north of Foster. The Clark bus is mostly one lane traffic and many stop signs/lights.

It was quite a turnaround....was certain we would go with two hotel rooms + cwazy parking fees.

While i had checked vrbo, apparently my search was quite cursory. Enough folks suggested vrbo, i thought it best to check again. Plus, a forum poster shared a place she had found and it looked so very nice.

Then, turns out two posters have ties to Andersonville...a place i had never heard of 48 hrs. ago.

I love this forum...so much to learn. Maybe i will write a song. ; )

We had a great Chicago trip and enjoyed the stay in Andersonville neighborhood quite a bit. Pretty, tree-lined streets, walked to Foster Beach and the Clark 22 bus took us to most other places.
Second City, Cubs game, Million Dollar Quartet at the Apollo, Art Institute and plenty of sightseeing "downtown".

Doubt we will return as there are so many places to see in this country, but the Andersonville apt was perfect fit for us. Chicago Transit Authority buses/subway made getting around easy. We never felt uneasy/threatened/murdered (my fears).

Thanks again for the advice and help.

Try Wicker Park!

There may be opportunities on airbnb https://www.airbnb.com/s/Chicago--IL

omni

Last summer I took my two adult daughters with me to Chicago for three nights. We stayed at a two bedroom condo in Wicker Park we found through airbnb and took the El downtown when we needed it. Much nicer and less expensive than a hotel, and there were no parking fees or taxes!

Back
Top Bottom