Where was your hometown 750 million years ago?

Walt34

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
That is interesting, thanks. At least where I live was on land 750 million years ago, and not underwater. But the continent is unrecognizable.

I was intrigued at how many "mass extinctions" have taken place throughout earth's history.

Bummer, I couldn't go back 750 million years. I think this place was under water. At 200M it shows us in the water just off the West Coast (we are near San Francisco). Then a large finger of land moving up to Canada split off and floated into the Pacific at 150M. We got left on the West Coast. Whew that was close.

But then the West Coast apparently went under water. Bummer. At 20M we were still on the continental shelf in the water. Now today we are part of the USA. So we are newbies here. :)

Nice app, thanks!

Thanks!
I can see the house I grew up in.

I plugged in my birth city, so central europe did not exist then:confused:

"Could not resolve location for "Miskolc, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén, HU"

Its tectonic plate doesn't track that far into the past - try switching to a more recent year!"

For the other regions: Re-unite gondwanaland!

Did not apply to me, as I was still in my peripatetic phase 750 million years ago and had not yet selected a "home town".

That is interesting, thanks. At least where I live was on land 750 million years ago, and not underwater. But the continent is unrecognizable.

Ditto. But I was surprised not to see central MS under water. Back when I was in Jr College a science professor took us on a field trip on a hill not far from school. For the purpose of finding sharks teeth. They were very easy to find so I know we were under water at some point. Doing a Google search looks like the Gulf of Mexico formed some 300 million years ago so I guess that sheds some light on it.

Back
Top Bottom