White Coat Syndrome is Driving me Crazy!!!

Went to an allergist yesterday. He told me that he could not find my pulse. He moved around on my wrist and finally found it. I used to participate in a mall walker's program that the local hospital was doing. They asked me to go walk for 15 minutes and come back, because it was so low. I get confused by it all. I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in 2014. I am on a beta blocker to lower the heart rate. Which is it--high or low:confused:

Went to an allergist yesterday. He told me that he could not find my pulse. He moved around on my wrist and finally found it. I used to participate in a mall walker's program that the local hospital was doing. They asked me to go walk for 15 minutes and come back, because it was so low. I get confused by it all. I was diagnosed with Atrial Flutter in 2014. I am on a beta blocker to lower the heart rate. Which is it--high or low:confused:

Beta blockers lower your heartrate, or mine anyway. I was on atenelol for years, heart rate was always 55, till it wasn't, they deceided that 35 BPM was too low. I don't know why, I kept thinking I was going to pass out!

Now I really think my BP is too low as I'm feeling like I'm going to pass out again. I see PCP in a few weeks, we'll have a nice discussion about it. Meanwhile a teaspoon of fish sauce 3 times a day has me feeling normal.

Yes the beta blockers do lower your heart rate. The first incident, mall walking, was prior to being on beta blockers though. I guess that it was low, then went high and with the beta blockers, it is low again.

If I was feeling like I was going to pass out, I would definitely be seeing my doctor again. Hope they get your meds straightened out for you.

I've always had high BP and am on meds (family history on mother's side) and monitored it periodically. I am now monitoring it daily & at different times of the day because I started losing consciousness 2.5 weeks ago while at the kitchen counter chopping veggies for our lunch salad. Apparently my BP bottomed out. No history of these issues although I had symptoms for the 2 days prior where I would suddenly get very light headed for about 3-5 seconds.

I've learned you have to monitor your BP at the same time each day. Your BP is lowest in the a.m. and increases. My BP in the a.m. is around 115/80 or so and before I go to bed, it's around 145/85.

I'll get the results of the heart monitor I've been wearing for the last 2 weeks soon and will review all this w/the doctor.

I always tell any type of medical professional that it's hopeless to measure me, as my white coat syndrome is severe. I've been using an Omron at home for years where I'm typically a bit on the high side at 125-130/low 80's but get me near a doctor and it can be as high as 170/110.

I always tell any type of medical professional that it's hopeless to measure me, as my white coat syndrome is severe. I've been using an Omron at home for years where I'm typically a bit on the high side at 125-130/low 80's but get me near a doctor and it can be as high as 170/110.

Wow - you make me feel better madsquopper!

Went in for my colonoscopy this morning, and BP was 137/? and pulse 113! I pointed the high pulse rate to the nurse and told her about my syndrome. By the time I was wheeled into the room it had come down to 123, and pulse was "only" 100 with no meds yet.

I was actually glad it was only 137 to start, because when I've been in for an actual procedure in the past, my BP has exceeded 145 or worse!

What do you think your BP numbers might be if the doc came to your house wearing sweats and stayed in another room while you used your Omron to take your blood pressure?

The same thing happened to me. About a month ago I went to the Doctor to check my BP and refill my prescription. I felt fine. No anxiety. I took my BP before leaving for the Doctor's appointment. It was fine. It was like 117/80 or close to that. When I went to the doctor's and he checked it , it read high. I went home and checked it again and it was going back down and soon thereafter was within normal range. I can only assume I saw the white coat and my BP went up. I know my BP monitor works and works well.

Back
Top Bottom