Who is and where is John Gault? A.S. P I out 4/15/11

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
-- John Rogers

I have a suspicion that Ayn Rand might not find the Wonderful World of Corporate Capitalism to be entirely satisfying. Dagny Taggert wouldn't have survived the hostile takeover engineered by Goldman Sachs, as Eddie Willers trusted their advice a little too much. John Galt was reduced to living in a tarpaper shack outside Lincoln, Montana, and Midas Mulligan, the poor guy, was wiped out when he found that all the liquidity he thought he had was tied up by Lehman Brothers in securitized debt obligations offset by a massive overissue of credit default swaps.

The movie is going to have to spin things a bit to be at all believable in a modern setting.

The movie is going to have to spin things a bit to be at all believable in a modern setting.

The concept of the individual company owner/manager doesn't work in today's world. Today there are share owners and managers. If one manager quits there is another one to take his place. I don't think they will change the book in any way. I think the producers are members of the Rand institute or some such.

To make it work in today's world professionals would have to walk away - accountants to zoologists.

I remember the size of Atlas Shrugged, and I'm not going to regard the "Part I" aspect of that movie with the same sense of eagerness that I had for the Lord of the Rings trilogy...

I wonder how the heck the producer raised the money and found a distributor.

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.
-- John Rogers

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I am very excited about this project. Ayn Rand is a tremendous influence in my life and my favorite of her many excellent books is Anthem. Those who enjoy her philosophy would love it and I find that it is a great introduction to her work to recommend to those who are put off by the comparative size of Atlas Shrugged and the Fountainhead.

Wasn't Ayn Rand an illegal alien at one point?

(Yes, yes she was.)

Back
Top Bottom