Who Is Still Writing Checks

Just a few. My township has an up charge for electronic payments for taxes and our quarterly sewer/trash payments. Also, my handyman is old school. No Venmo or PayPal. A total of 10 to 12/year. Not like the old days - 30 to 40/month.

For those service providers not set up to take electronic payments why aren't people just using their online bill pay to mail paper checks for free?

If I need to pay a person I also do the above...little more of a delay that way, but the check still gets mailed within a week.

For those service providers not set up to take electronic payments why aren't people just using their online bill pay to mail paper checks for free?

If I need to pay a person I also do the above...little more of a delay that way, but the check still gets mailed within a week.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

And, yes, I do shave with a straight razor every day.

A week?
Our handyman expects payment when the job is done. I’m pretty sure my check to him gets cashed as soon as possible. It would be an imposition for him to wait a week I’ve seen him pay his helper on the spot if I pay with cash.

Most service providers expect payment at the time of service. My doctor’s collections agent seems to struggle with matching up checks mailed by the bank with my account.

Three checks a year for property taxes.
Checks to settle estates of relatives who’ve passed.
Checks for major home repairs.
Maybe two a year to send gifts to out of town recipients.

My barber is strictly cash. I've never had a barber that didn't want cash.

My main cash spend is the barber. And then tips when traveling.

Otherwise my cash spending is pretty sparse. Use of both checks and cash are minimal.

this is what I do with everything except my property tax. This is the one time of year I stop in at the courthouse and say hi to the folks in the finance office and the bailiff outside the courtroom. Just a small personal tradition and I can normally do it in conjunction with a library run so no extra work.

Service folks still prefer checks from regular customers, saves credit card fees. For us it's the monthly gardening service and our acupuncturist. All our regular bills are paid electronically, and our contractor uses QuickBooks payment.

Some service folks. Not all.
Some prefer electronic payment via CashApp, Venmo, PayPay, Zelle, etc. Some of these apps create a QR Code for you. The person paying them can scan the QR Code and then their info pops up on your phone making it even easier to pay.

Most service providers expect payment at the time of service.

Exactly.

We have some new furniture coming next week. We have to pay upon delivery. The only 2 options are cash or check. I’m not going and getting $1,800 in cash so I’ll be paying by check.

Checks are also the only option for some things like attending events from organizations we belong to. No cash. No electronic payments. Checks only.

Me. about 6 every quarter.

Sometimes the old ways are the best.

And, yes, I do shave with a straight razor every day.

I couldn't afford the extra toilet paper (to stop the bleeding from razor cuts.:LOL:) Some of the old adages have their limits - shaving with a straight razor would be a bit much for me, but YMMV.

^^^^
No razor shaving for me anymore since I grew a beard a few years ago. Never even tried a straight razor but my beard sure saves me several bucks each week not buying all the disposable razors I was buying. And no, to get back on topic, I never wrote checks for razors. :)

Last edited:
^^^^
No razor shaving for me anymore since I grew a beard a few years ago. Never even tried a straight razor but my beard sure saves me several bucks each week not buying all the disposable razors I was buying. And no, to get back on topic, I never wrote checks for razors. :)

Never really got into the disposable razor thing - though I bought a ton of those blue plastic jobs (was that Gillette??) plus the Yellow plastic jobs (Bic??) for 10 cents each when they were more or less going to the 2 then 3 then 4 then 6 bladed jobs. I'd easily get 30 shaves out of each of them (heh, heh, if DW didn't "borrow" them for her ablutions routine.) Now I use strictly rechargeable electric. Not worried that it does a poor job. I wear shorts and an Aloha shirt when I dress up, so a bit of stubble and my wiry chin whiskers are good enough (or I won't go.) Heh, heh, went to court to do jury duty that way.

Never really got into the disposable razor thing - though I bought a ton of those blue plastic jobs (was that Gillette??) plus the Yellow plastic jobs (Bic??) for 10 cents each when they were more or less going to the 2 then 3 then 4 then 6 bladed jobs. I'd easily get 30 shaves out of each of them (heh, heh, if DW didn't "borrow" them for her ablutions routine.) Now I use strictly rechargeable electric. Not worried that it does a poor job. I wear shorts and an Aloha shirt when I dress up, so a bit of stubble and my wiry chin whiskers are good enough (or I won't go.) Heh, heh, went to court to do jury duty that way.
Seriously? I was lucky to get 5 shaves out of one of those throwaways. I probably could have got more but I "liked" a sharp razor and close shave. In any case, no need to worry about that anymore.:)

To quote Bill Cosby on razors vs electric shavers... (back when he was funny) All I want is a clean shave, not a self-sacrifice. Electric for me!

Some service folks. Not all.
Some prefer electronic payment via CashApp, Venmo, PayPay, Zelle, etc. Some of these apps create a QR Code for you. The person paying them can scan the QR Code and then their info pops up on your phone making it even easier to pay.

We wouldn't know about any of those electronic options since we do not own a smart phone. We pay most bills online or, if there's no fee, with a credit card which we pay off each month. We get points (and free 6-day shipping!) by paying with our credit card. :dance:

I still write checks. lol my HOA recently started charging a 1.7% fee for using a credit card or on line. which gets my goat, so I write them a check. there are a few charities I send checks to.

I still write checks. lol my HOA recently started charging a 1.7% fee for using a credit card or on line. which gets my goat, so I write them a check. there are a few charities I send checks to.

I'd expect the opposite. My HOA no longer accepts checks but instead only takes payments electronically.

A week?
Our handyman expects payment when the job is done. I’m pretty sure my check to him gets cashed as soon as possible. It would be an imposition for him to wait a week I’ve seen him pay his helper on the spot if I pay with cash.

Most service providers expect payment at the time of service. My doctor’s collections agent seems to struggle with matching up checks mailed by the bank with my account.

and why is that my problem?

last handyman got paid via paper check from bill pay.

he even emailed an invoice, and had set up a LLC to receive payment.

cashed the check, so I'm sure all is fine.

if they choose not to take some form of electronic payment the above is the way they get paid.

Last edited:
We are building a garage, so I have written a couple checks to our contractor. Don't know that he takes credit cards, and I am not paying a 4 figure payment in cash. I expect to pay him another this week, in which case he will have gotten 3 consecutive numbered checks.

The guy that services the pellet stove will get a check. Property taxes get a check.

Normal monthly bills are all online autopay.

If you're writing a check at the grocery store or any other retail establishment you're annoying the rest of us. ;)

And I love doing that!! Talk about fun!!

Back
Top Bottom