Who travels with their pets?

I did look up Rover.com and a few others and that is a cool industry that I was impressed with.

If you use Rover.com or similar, I'd suggest a tryout for say a long weekend first. That way if there's any issue, you find out quickly and won't have to worry about it causing problems for your vacation. Most sitters also require a meet and greet which is useful. I like that there are ratings but also repeat customer stats which probably says more than ratings alone. We also like when there is a fully fenced back yard and a doggy door all of which info is usually available about the prospective sitter. Also we prefer someone home during the day. We considered kennels but decided that Danny would be best in a home environment and that seems to be the case.

If you look at as "what would be best for the pets", as a pet lover likely would, then leaving them in their own home environment with a good "present" pet sitter ( emphasis on present = being their most of the day), would be best in my opinion. Many pet sitters work though and are only at the site during the evenings. In that case a pet sitter is not ideal. We leave our beloved pet for two months every winter. Taking our pet is not an option so we kennel her. She has much more socialization that way and the staff has very little turnover, so she is in a familiar environment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

If you use Rover.com or similar, I'd suggest a tryout for say a long weekend first. That way if there's any issue, you find out quickly and won't have to worry about it causing problems for your vacation. Most sitters also require a meet and greet which is useful. I like that there are ratings but also repeat customer stats which probably says more than ratings alone. We also like when there is a fully fenced back yard and a doggy door all of which info is usually available about the prospective sitter. Also we prefer someone home during the day. We considered kennels but decided that Danny would be best in a home environment and that seems to be the case.

Yes, I second the idea to do a shorter trial stay and see how it goes before a longer trip. DH and I aren’t willing to have a sitter stay in our home while we’re away, but rover.com works well for us. Good luck and I think you’re making the right decision to leave the doggies behind. If you get a good sitter, they’ll enjoy a little doggie vacay while you enjoy your trip.

Ok, we are planing a 17 day trip both by car and plane. We have 2 small Yorkies that fit well in an approved carrier. DW wants to bring them along but I’d prefer they stay at home and we get a house/ dog sitter. I don’t want to be unreasonable but looking after those guys while traveling can be stressful. For those of you who have furry friends I’d love to know your preferences and pros and cons. Maybe you can help us decide!

Except for camping trips, out dogs have always stayed at the Kennel. Yep, it adds to the overall cost of our trip, but I know they'll be taken care of. We love our pup, but our vacations are also a time away from all regular life activities - even pet care.

You can see my dog in my avatar. I would never travel with her. I love her dearly but she is a little brat. I have to take trips away from her for my own sanity. Just really KNOW your dog before you decide to travel with them.

My pet Anaconda likes the the hors d'oeuvres in first class but after four large attendants she is still be a bit peckish!

Back
Top Bottom