Why EMC keeps dropping

perrytime

Recycles dryer sheets
Picked up some after the drop Jan 9, but it continues to dribble down and I cannot find a reason, in all my research, seem to be well liked and written about everywhere I look, seekingAlpha, Fidelity's long list of reports, etc. I just can't find the reason for the coninuted weakness, what new news since Jan 9, any ideas?

Picked up some after the drop Jan 9, but it continues to dribble down and I cannot find a reason, in all my research, seem to be well liked and written about everywhere I look, seekingAlpha, Fidelity's long list of reports, etc. I just can't find the reason for the coninuted weakness, what new news since Jan 9, any ideas?

Most likely it is primarily due to Vmware (EMC owns 80%, maybe more now, of VMW). Vmware has had very high growth for many years but it is slowing down now for a number of reasons.

First, Vmware is up against harder competition now than in the past. Microsoft beefed up Hyper-V a lot and includes it for free with Windows Server 2012. In addition the open source hypervisor KVM is getting better and it is included by default in linux (i.e. a very good free os with a free hypervisor).

Finally the virtualisation market is pretty saturated already. We will probably see more and more enterprises putting servers into a "public cloud" (Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, HP Cloud Services, etc). This is going to cut down on the need for physical on-site storage (EMC's main business) and also on-site virtualization (Vmware's main business).

EMC needs to find a new avenue for growth which is what the pivotal spin out is for. EMC is spinning out a couple of products into a new company called Pivotal, in the same manner as how they let Vmware operate as an independent company. They are going to try and find growth in platform-as-a-service and in "big data" analytics. Of course, many other IT giants are doing the same thing.

The IT industry as a whole is getting squeezed. So everyone has been getting into each other's business for the last few years. I think there will be more consolidation in the industry.

I personally would not bet on EMC because their huge breakout success (Vmware) is being disrupted and I don't see Pivotal being near as big of a success as Vmware was.

I'm long HPQ, CSCO, and IBM in the tech sector.

Back
Top Bottom