Why is Starbucks so popular?

Actually, 'French Fries' (aka pommes frites) are Belgian ... but you knew that, didn't you?!. ;)

I did not know that and am so disillusioned and shocked. But thanks for the info.

I looked it up on wikipedia...

Although in most anglophone countries (outside of Europe), French fried potatoes are called "French" their true origin is Belgium, as in 1781 Joseph Gérard wrote:
"The inhabitants of Namur, Huy and Dinant have the habit of fishing in the Meuse River, frying their fang, to expand their menu (especially poor people). If the water is frozen and fishing is hardly possible, the inhabitants then cut potatoes in the shape of fish and fry those. This kind of procedure is over a hundred years old."
In North America, "French fries" became known much later when US soldiers returned from Europe after WWI. As they knew the new food predominantly from France, they called them "French fries".

So the name comes from what the Doughboys called em' , not where they originated. Besides who wants to eat a burger and Belgium fries with your Coca Cola ?

saluki, you're getting hosed too ($3 for a small container of milk?). :crazy:

It's fine by me. I'm paying for the convenience and I'm ok with it. $3 isn't going to kill me.

At the risk of being ridiculed for attempting to compete with unclemick as the cheapest b@stard on the forum (I pale in comparison to His Frugalship), I've never had coffee - or any other beverage - from Starbucks.

Neither have I.

There are Starbucks in some of the local grocery stores (Kroger).

Back
Top Bottom