Why not ban users from a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking out loud, if there were a placeholder in the thread showing that a post had been removed, it might cause other posters to think twice about re-igniting the flame. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.
There was a flag that was set on "hot topic" threads where the users were warned to adhere to the rules. I haven't seen that flag used as much lately, but earlier this year there were a few. Of course this may be due to me avoiding "hot topics" threads too!

Same here!

Thank you for explaining that. I appreciate that there is at least some discussion of the option of removing just the offending post. And I recognize that this might not be effective in all cases.

Just thinking out loud, if there were a placeholder in the thread showing that a post had been removed, it might cause other posters to think twice about re-igniting the flame. But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.

I wish that were the case, but in my experience (in life, not just on several internet forums) problems arise when a small handful of individuals are more interested in being "right" than in being civil. :( :nonono:

I think the mods on this forum do an outstanding job of keeping things civil. And they certainly don't get paid enough :)laugh:) to play kindergarten teacher.

In the unlikely event you ever receive an infraction point, you will be informed via private message from the moderators.

Reminds me of the old John Hausman commercial for Smith Barney -- "they make the most ignored list the old fashioned way, they earn it."

lol! Been awhile 'since I heard that one Gumby.

It is not a stealth system. PM’s inform the infracted user of the reason and number of points.

So just because someone has a post removed and is warned by the mod team does not necessarily equate to a points infraction?

So just because someone has a post removed and is warned by the mod team does not necessarily equate to a points infraction?

That is correct. However, I had a signature line removed along with receiving a points infraction. However, the points infraction was removed after a specified amount of time.

......... However, the points infraction was removed after a specified amount of time.
I've had one on another sister site for going on 4 years. They seem to hold a grudge.

Correct. As I stated above one knows when they receive an infraction, it is a formal and scripted process similar to receiving a traffic ticket.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/new-infraction-system-35251.html

To make our jobs easier and improve tracking of repeat or severe offenders, we are implementing an "infraction system." Similar to traffic tickets, infractions might be given for rule violations advising the member of the issue.

.........I have since learned to read over my postings before hitting the submit button.
I've found that posting while sober helps for me....at least most of the time. :blush:

I've found that posting while sober helps for me....at least most of the time. :blush:
Ah yes, same here. On the other forum I frequent, there seemed to be an unusual correlation between my alcohol consumption and corrective notes from the moderator. :D

Attachments

• duck.jpg
    duck.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 24
Ah yes, same here. On the other forum I frequent, there seemed to be an unusual correlation between my alcohol consumption and corrective notes from the moderator. :D

My issue is I frequent a bunch of sites that only a direct threat would get moderated then pop in here and have to become a kinder gentler poster.

My issue is I frequent a bunch of sites that only a direct threat would get moderated then pop in here and have to become a kinder gentler poster.
True. But, to stay with my earlier metaphor, some places are more refined than others. And so, the respective behavior required of the guests is different as well. :cool:

This is precisely why I avoid 99% of all other forums. This site is an oasis of civility in an internet sea of rudeness and disrespect, where personal attacks abound.

If I wanted to experience the above conditions (and I don't) I could always spend more time with my extended family. :D

Have the mods and admins ever looked into the possibility of only putting Patriots fans or haters on ignore? I think this would make some threads much more pleasant to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom