Wildfire in Los Angeles-Route Fire

Dude- real Californians don’t say “Cali”

I didn't used to - but it's become more common and I've picked it up. Probably from my son.

FWIW - born in San Diego. Spent about 12 years in other states in my late 20's to late 30's. But I've got about 50 years in San Diego. I think I qualify as a Californian.

16 years here and people still call my place the Peterson place.

LOL!!
Those names of landmarks just keep following the new generations because the older folks use those names, and it sticks.

Dude- real Californians don’t say “Cali”

I didn't used to - but it's become more common and I've picked it up. Probably from my son.

Perhaps LL Cool J was responsible for the term "Cali" making it's way into the popular lexicon? This reminds me of something that's a bit of a bugbear of mine (although I know you said it in a light-hearted fashion Irishgirly). That's the folk who seriously debate the correct way to refer to cities, towns, etc, implying that you're not a worthy "insider" if you're not using the correct terms. For instance, some folk here in the Bay Area are very insistent that you're not a "real" San Franciscan if you call it "San Fran" or "Frisco". If you want to show your true cred, you either call it San Francisco, or simply, "The City".

I say humbug to all of that. Call it what you want. In my opinion, only relatively new transplants get so overly concerned about such things, as they are the ones trying a little too hard to prove that they have fitted into the culture of their newfound city.* Besides, culture and language shift over time. They are not absolutes.

OK, I got that out of my system. Thanks for bearing with me :)

(*Plus some of the natives who are stuck in their ways.)

Last edited:
Perhaps LL Cool J was responsible for the term "Cali" making it's way into the popular lexicon? This reminds me of something that's a bit of a bugbear of mine (although I know you said it in a light-hearted fashion Irishgirly). That's the folk who seriously debate the correct way to refer to cities, towns, etc, implying that you're not a worthy "insider" if you're not using the correct terms. For instance, some folk here in the Bay Area are very insistent that you're not a "real" San Franciscan if you call it "San Fran" or "Frisco". If you want to show your true cred, you either call it San Francisco, or simply, "The City".
QUOTE]

My mother was third generation San Franciscan and calling it San Fran or Frisco would definitely set her off. I guess I inherited that from her since "Cali" bothers me :)

the folk who seriously debate the correct way to refer to cities, towns, etc, implying that you're not a worthy "insider" if you're not using the correct terms.

And they're probably the same folk who blithely say Munich, Cologne, and Florence instead of München, Köln, and Firenze.

QUOTE]

My mother was third generation San Franciscan and calling it San Fran or Frisco would definitely set her off. I guess I inherited that from her since "Cali" bothers me :)

I’m a 5th generation Californian and my mom’s family was from the Bay Area - although I grew up east of there we visited frequently.
I don’t recall anyone ever calling it Frisco or anything but San Francisco or The City.
I’m assuming it wasn’t allowed!

I say humbug to all of that. Call it what you want. In my opinion, only relatively new transplants get so overly concerned about such things, as they are the ones trying a little too hard to prove that they have fitted into the culture of their newfound city.* Besides, culture and language shift over time. They are not absolutes.

OK, I got that out of my system. Thanks for bearing with me :)

(*Plus some of the natives who are stuck in their ways.)

LL Cool J- an east coaster- born in New York. [emoji848]

I’m glad you realized I meant that light heartedly. Life is too short to take these things too seriously.
Although- I don’t ever say “cali” [emoji38]

FWIW - born in San Diego. Spent about 12 years in other states in my late 20's to late 30's. But I've got about 50 years in San Diego. I think I qualify as a Californian.

My sister lives in the San Diego area. It’s probably my most favorite city. Except for the cost of housing.

And they're probably the same folk who blithely say Munich, Cologne, and Florence instead of München, Köln, and Firenze.

I think there is a difference between being unable to pronounce something correctly and using a nickname. If someone who is not from here and pronounces California the way they do in their native tongue? No problem. Hopefully their pronunciation will improve over time. Someone who speaks the language and has decided to rename it? Well, of course, the locals won't like it.

I’m a 5th generation Californian and my mom’s family was from the Bay Area - although I grew up east of there we visited frequently.
I don’t recall anyone ever calling it Frisco or anything but San Francisco or The City.
I’m assuming it wasn’t allowed!

If I remember correctly from my mother, a lot of the offenders were military. Locals definitely did not call it Frisco.

(Maybe we're cousins!)

Seems there must be a a lot of sensitive folks who live in Cali, er, Kalifornia.

Full disclosure: I've become sensitized to folks pronouncing Honolulu with Hon rhyming with Ron instead of sounding like "hone." But since I used to do the same thing, I offer a lot of grace. YMMV

Someone who speaks the language and has decided to rename it? Well, of course, the locals won't like it.

I'm not so sure. I don't think the locals in most places are bothered by such things to anywhere near the degree that San Franciscans are.

A friend is driving up north today to visit us from southern Cal. He says there’s a 90 minute bottleneck on the northbound I-5 from the Route fire because the asphalt on several lanes were damaged from the fire.

I'll add one more.

During my time in DC, I got to appreciate the shorthand used by radio traffic reporters. There is a major highway (I-495) that circles the DC area. Many cities have such bypass routes, but DC is one of the few that calls it "the Beltway". Such an appropriate name.

But the part I liked was that since it was a circle, the cardinal directions (NESW) were useless, so traffic reports would specify locations on the "inner Belt" or "outer Belt". Since all such highways are two-way, it was immediately obvious that the outer belt was traffic moving counter-clockwise, and the inner belt was clockwise. A most sensible way of describing things. I haven't heard that technique used in other cities.
You are reminding me of a big family kerfuffle when my dad tried to insist that the inner beltway was the portion to the east of the DC and the outer was the portion to the west. He was vetoed pretty intensely!

I'm old enough to remember when DC traffic reporters still called 395 the Shirley Highway.

For instance, some folk here in the Bay Area are very insistent that you're not a "real" San Franciscan if you call it "San Fran" or "Frisco". If you want to show your true cred, you either call it San Francisco, or simply, "The City".

I'm an easterner who came of age in the late 70s, so I've always called it The City by the Bay-e-ay-e-ay.

https://youtu.be/dIRkowObTQM

Wildfires are a scary event. I wish you well and all to whom maybe in dangers way.

+100
I well remember two years ago when we were packed and ready to evacuate for several days, at the "ready to go" Alert. Daily haze and smoke making breathing uncomfortable.
Very frightening. It did make DH and I stop and really drill down to what was important to take on a moments notice. At the time, it was the two of us, plus a large dog in one car. We already keep emergency food and water in the car, just added medications, dog food, a change of clothes and the contents of our safe/important papers. Thats it. At that point, I was leaving all the family pictures, etc.

Big rigs tried detouring past the damaged I-5, and got stuck on twisty narrow roads, causing more road closures. In the meantime, near record-breaking triple digit temperatures are causing firefighters to be pulled off the ground efforts to contain the fire due to heat related injuries.

Seems there must be a a lot of sensitive folks who live in Cali, er, Kalifornia.

Full disclosure: I've become sensitized to folks pronouncing Honolulu with Hon rhyming with Ron instead of sounding like "hone." But since I used to do the same thing, I offer a lot of grace. YMMV

"Hone- a loo-loo"? I didn't know that.

But then I didn't know the 4 string little guitar was an "ook-a-lay-lee", not a "Yuke-a-lay-lee" either (learned that from Jake Shimabukuro)

Things like "Cali" and "Frisco" bother me too, even though I'm not from there. If the locals don't like it, it is disrespectful to intentionally use the term (and hopefully, a local will gently correct you if done out of simple ignorance). IMO.

Oh boy, this is the worst case of thread drift of a serious subject yet!

-ERD50

North closed through Labor Day

"Hone- a loo-loo"? I didn't know that.

Maybe more like "Hone-oh-loo-loo"? :)

And if you come to New Orleans, just don't pronounce it "New OrLEENS", except:

1. You're singing that song about "Do you know what it means, to miss New OrLEENS",

2. You're talking about Orleans Parish (=County), the Parish in which New Orleans resides, and which is pronounced "OrLEENS".

As for the correct way to pronounce New Orleans, it depends on what neighborhood you're from. So, type it into Youtube and you'll hear various ways to pronounce it. The way Frank and I pronounce it is "Nyu Aw-lee-uns", which apparently is sort of Uptown.

Back
Top Bottom