Will We Get A Santa Rally in 2022?

Looks like we have our answer. with only an hour and a half left No rally this year. I read a stat that it occurs 3/4 of the time. But not this time.

Well there are 3+ days left. Could it be Santa is in an ugly mood? Or were we just naughty in 2022?

Well there are 3+ days left. Could it be Santa is in an ugly mood? Or were we just naughty in 2022?

In general, in my experience, Santa Claus rallies are far less likely to happen during strongly down market years. But who knows?

Perhaps he was flying Southwest.

(I'm here all week folks. Don't forget to tip your server.)

3 days this week plus 2 more next week. It's a floating range of dates but traditionally that's the dates they consider.

Last edited:
Some stocks that went up the most in 2021 are getting a heck of a whipping in 2022, to the last week of the year. It's brutal.
Yeah, it's funny what happens once sane interest rate policy takes hold. Musk whining about the Fed is the equivalent of the drunk complaining that the punch bowl has been taken away at a party. I think Nat King Cole sang it best:

Nope. Stay the course.

YMMV

Yes, I always stay on my course.

I have some stocks that go up today for me to sell some OTM call contracts.

Make only about $650 today on option premium, unless I spot something more before market close.

Santa is so mean this year, he does not even give coal to naughty children. Coal is useful to burn for heat.

Santa gives rocks!

Santa is so mean this year, he does not even give coal to naughty children. Coal is useful to burn for heat.

Santa gives rocks!

Perhaps Santa is becoming more environmentally friendly. I hear he is considering going back to something renewable - namely a bundle of switches instead of coal, but YMMV.

Perhaps Santa is becoming more environmentally friendly. I hear he is considering going back to something renewable - namely a bundle of switches instead of coal, but YMMV.

Are you saying Santa is turning into a child abuser? :facepalm: :confused: :( :eek:

Yes, I always stay on my course.

I have some stocks that go up today for me to sell some OTM call contracts.

Make only about $650 today on option premium, unless I spot something more before market close.

Totally out of curiosity and none of my business but interested in your success rate on, say, a yearly basis. No need for numbers, if your willing. Just curious if we're talking "strictly hobby" level or "fat stacks" or (as a friend of mine admitted one year) "lost shirt" level. Heh, heh, enquiring minds want to know - even though we're not entitled, thus YMMV.

Totally out of curiosity and none of my business but interested in your success rate on, say, a yearly basis. No need for numbers, if your willing. Just curious if we're talking "strictly hobby" level or "fat stacks" or (as a friend of mine admitted one year) "lost shirt" level. Heh, heh, enquiring minds want to know - even though we're not entitled, thus YMMV.

The only way to measure any investment or trading tactic is via the total portfolio return.

This, I already report on the YTD Performance thread.

PS. I have been averaging more than $1K each day the market opens. This year the market is bad, and my total return is negative but the gain from options reduces the loss.

Last edited:
Santa reward the good guy (and girl) value stocks as he has all year. The growth stocks got another beating. SP500 down because it's biased to the naughty growth stocks.

Remember when Exxon was the top SP500 stock? Maybe a minor replay?

Santa reward the good guy (and girl) value stocks as he has all year. The growth stocks got another beating. SP500 down because it's biased to the naughty growth stocks.

Remember when Exxon was the top SP500 stock? Maybe a minor replay?

I never do "naughty growth stocks". I only do "nice growth stocks", meaning stocks with nice grades from school (low P/E). They still get punished this year, but not spanked as badly. Perhaps Santa will reconsider next year.

I'm not NWB of course but just a thought. I only compare my portfolio performance to other ones I can duplicate should I choose to do so. I would need a full level of transparency to do that compare. The other portfolios might be too difficult for me or out of my comfort zone.

I never do "naughty growth stocks". I only do "nice growth stocks", meaning stocks with nice grades from school (low P/E). They still get punished this year, but not spanked as badly. Perhaps Santa will reconsider next year.

Do they have names? :)

The only way to measure any investment or trading tactic is via the total portfolio return.

This, I already report on the YTD Performance thread.

PS. I have been averaging more than $1K each day the market opens. This year the market is bad, and my total return is negative but the gain from options reduces the loss.

Thanks. Here's hoping for a better 2023 for all of us - options trading or not.:greetings10:

Santa gives rocks!

Indeed, coal performed well over the past year!
https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/HNRG/competitors?quoteSectors=-COAL&orderBy=weightedAlpha&orderDir=desc
Unless you were only in METC.

Rocks can also be useful, but maybe better luck next year?
https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/VMC/competitors?quoteSectors=-BULT&orderBy=weightedAlpha&orderDir=desc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom