Wills, planning, etc

Right. Aren't you the guy with a $5 million net worth and more coming in every second.

Go see a lawyer. We paid $1200 for a package of the the 4 biggies for 2 of us.

Funny DW and I were talking about doing ours too. Cripes how hard is it to make something that says I give all my stuff to you and you give all your stuff to me the end. Lawyer time I guess.

LOL! said:
Right.  Aren't you the guy with a $5 million net worth and more coming in every second.

Go see a lawyer.  We paid $1200 for a package of the the 4 biggies for 2 of us.

Hey, CFB spent a lot of cash on new cars this year, give him a break.

I ran onto a similar problem with other software. Just reset your computer clock to the old date.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I got the 2005 and it'll cost me $28 after rebate from buy.com

Martha - my understanding of this s/w is that its not just forms, but gives you all the info, asks a bunch of questions and then fills the forms in for you based on your answers.  Besides the s/w is a book with more detail in it.

I'm not setting up any trusts or anything at this time.  I just wanted to placeholder a will, medical directives, power of attorneys and the basic stuff like that.  Been pondering it since we knew Gabe was coming along.

Once thats in place I can move to do the heavier lifting later.
Why in the world do you want a will. You're clearly too evil to die. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

We went over my Mom's will last week with her. It's a good thing that we did it while she was alive. A lot of "no, that's not at all what I meant." For example, in one paragraph it said "...and anything left over will go to Sister 1..." She said, "No I meant that anything left over should be distributed to the others by Sister 1."

There was no mention of what to do with the body, and no accomodations for circumstances that change after the will was made. For example, $11,000 to x, $2,000 to y. But what if there is only $7,000 left?

It's a total mess up, but luckily the estate is small. I think the lawyer, who, it turns out is a very good friend of my sister's, should not be allowed to create wills. My guess is that he's never done it before. I recommended that it be redone.

Bottom line: I have a newfound respect for the complexity of wills, and the importance of doing it right so as to avoid bad feelings and squabbling. I see now that a will has to foresee all the possible changes that may occur between the signing and the dying.

I'd choose a good will program over a bad lawyer, but a lawyer specializing in wills is what I'll use if we ever redo our "Willmaker" will.

My wife and I just had our wills done. We were married almost 1 year ago, but have been together since late 1996. Once we had the baby we got into gear.

I took advantage of our local JAG officer and had him draft up wills, power of attorneys, health care PoA and living wills. Nothing complex since neither my wife or I were married before or had children.

When my dads cancer came back the third time, he and my mom went from the Docs office to an estate lawyer and took care of everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom