Windows 11 is now live

I consider myself pretty Tech savvy, (30 years in IT will do that for you). I still use Windows Classic Shell Startup with Windows 10, as opposed to the iconic shell. If I ever go to 11 it will HAVE to support Windows Classic Shell.

This is my Current DeskTop under Windows 10.

Attachments

• DeskTop.jpg
    DeskTop.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 39
I consider myself pretty Tech savvy, (30 years in IT will do that for you). I still use Windows Classic Shell Startup with Windows 10, as opposed to the iconic shell. If I ever go to 11 it will HAVE to support Windows Classic Shell.

This is my Current DeskTop under Windows 10.

I've used it ever since Win7. The developer stopped working on Classic Shell in 2017, but development continued as Open Shell on GitHub. https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

It is not yet listed as supporting Win11. From the discussions it looks like it works but does not yet "fix" some 11-specific annoyances.

I've used it ever since Win7. The developer stopped working on Classic Shell in 2017, but development continued as Open Shell on GitHub. https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

It is not yet listed as supporting Win11. From the discussions it looks like it works but does not yet "fix" some 11-specific annoyances.

THANKS! That is good to know. I have never had an issue with the original classic shell. I will play with Open-Shell.

Thanks again.

Day 3 with Windows 11. Every time I tried to do something I discovered a new bug or odd behavior that just made things harder. This morning it was something as simple as the volume control. It didn't show the numerical setting when adjusting with the mouse wheel, and different app windows kept popping up with the volume control? What the heck is that? The calendar also popped up every time I went to look at a notification.

I kept trying to tweak settings in Win11, or use 3rd party replacements for other things, but why am I wasting so much time trying to fix a broken OS.

Enough is enough, it's awkward, unfriendly, and it's slowing me down. So, I rolled back to Windows 10 this morning. Thankfully, this was easy to do in the Recovery section of Windows 11 and only took a few minutes. Whew! It feels so good to have my familiar Windows 10 back. It may not have the new "modern" features, but it just works.

I might give Win11 a try again later if they fix some/most of the annoyances, otherwise I'll just stay with Win10 as long as possible.

No problems/issues with Windows 11 on my laptop, installed a couple weeks ago. Have been getting a lot of Win11 updates that require a restart, seem to get one almost daily.

I'm not upgrading now. There are too many issues with Windows 11 and AMD CPUs. The last update made the situation worse.

No problems/issues with Windows 11 on my laptop, installed a couple weeks ago. Have been getting a lot of Win11 updates that require a restart, seem to get one almost daily.

+1 Totally happy with Windows 11. No issues so far at all.

I'm glad it's working well for you. The teeny tiny clock, missing labels in the taskbar, cut off filenames on the start menu, and the ugly new scroll bars were the most annoying for me. I could probably adapt to other items over time.

I was finding a new problem every hour or two and submitting comments on their feedback hub. In most cases there were hundreds of other folks with similar complaints.

I kept checking for updates, but most problems still remained. I don't remember where I read it, but Microsoft said because of the holidays they wouldn't release a major upgrade to Win11 till January. So, I'll keep using Win10 for now.

Updated to Windows 11 last night. No bugs, so far. In reading about Windows 11, it appears to be marketed towards the corporate users. Nothing wrong with individual users, just it has many features that would be useful for corporate groups working together in many locations.

The literature does mention that Android Apps (some? all?) will be available. Have not explored that. And they bringing widgets back.

Those who have upgraded/updated, what do you see?

Android apps "included"/available?
It sounds like a feature of Google Chromebooks that people like. Believe that is part of Windows 10X, which is included in Windows 11.

Plan on upgrading to Windows 11 +/-1 year after it's released. Same plan as Windows 10.

Android apps "included"/available?
It sounds like a feature of Google Chromebooks that people like. Believe that is part of Windows 10X, which is included in Windows 11.

Plan on upgrading to Windows 11 +/-1 year after it's released. Same plan as Windows 10.

Let me explain about apps. Most like android apps. Little cute tools that easily perform one function. Windows 10 had a store and the hopes that developers would come up with apps for Windows 10. Never happened. I am sure that I oversimplified so don't beat me too bad.

I read that Windows 11 was going to have a store that had a bunch of android apps. I was looking forward to this. So far, I am not seeing many apps that I want. Some examples of apps on my android phone that are not available for Windows 11: Honeywell Home (talks to my smart thermostats), Fill Up (to log car gas purchases), My AcuRite (online temperature and weather gauges around my house), Our Groceries (keeps my grocery and other shopping lists). They are all android apps but not available for Windows 11.

Windows 11 is finally here. I haven't upgraded it yet since I'm waiting for the perfect review, which will take a year. Can Microsoft break the cycle of excellent and poor operating systems? LOL. Hopefully, Windows 11 will be able to break free from the curse. To be honest I'm really excited about the inclusion of the Android app part and I'm hoping it works out well.

Windows 11 is finally here. I haven't upgraded it yet since I'm waiting for the perfect review, which will take a year. Can Microsoft break the cycle of excellent and poor operating systems? LOL. Hopefully, Windows 11 will be able to break free from the curse. To be honest I'm really excited about the inclusion of the Android app part and I'm hoping it works out well.

Have you thought about buying a Chromebook?

Have 4 desktops 2 with WN 7 in cold storage, and 2 currently running 10. None will work with WN 11. All were off lease HP " Refurb ".

Any idea of cost for a new motherboard and CPU ? .

I am just fine with 10 as long as it's supported , just planning ahead. I am far too, uh , " Thrifty " to buy a new machine.

Have 4 desktops 2 with WN 7 in cold storage, and 2 currently running 10. None will work with WN 11. All were off lease HP " Refurb ".

I am just fine with 10 as long as it's supported , just planning ahead. I am far too, uh , " Thrifty " to buy a new machine.
If it were me, I would stick with Win10. It is supposed to be supported until October 14, 2025, so almost four more years.

If the HP PCs you have are the same model or similar, you could always use the idle PCs for parts to get you to October 2025, in case something fails on your two Win10 PCs. Or rotate out a Win10 OS drive if you have a PC completely fail (usually the motherboard).

Last edited:
If you really want to stay on 10 for a long time look up Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2021. End of support date Jan 13, 2032.

Just upgraded my primary desktop to 11 since the laptop upgrade went okay. Both were smooth transitions for me - no issues. I have a second desktop that is 10+ years old and a second laptop that is 7 years old so they will need to stay on 10.

If it were me, I would stick with Win10. It is supposed to be supported until October 14, 2025, so almost four more years.

Initially staying on Windows 10 is a good idea while "bugs" are fixed with Windows 11. It's your call but, for updated security, Windows 11 will probably be more secure as time goes on.

This is similar to using a Google Pixel 2XL. When auto-updates stopped, I got a new phone just before that for security reasons.

Initially staying on Windows 10 is a good idea while "bugs" are fixed with Windows 11. It's your call but, for updated security, Windows 11 will probably be more secure as time goes on.

This is similar to using a Google Pixel 2XL. When auto-updates stopped, I got a new phone just before that for security reasons.
As long as Windows 10 is in support it will receive security updates, just not feature updates.

The one glitch I've experienced with Win 11 is that some applications that use seemingly older user interface tools, look distorted on my laptop's display (which is very high res and scaled to 250% by Windows by default). Some menus and options on dropdown lists look bunched up, and/or some interface elements show up on super-tiny print or huge, depending on circumstances.

I'm in touch with the app vendors and they've acknowledged a problem... currently investigating :)

Good news is that the apps still work - they are just harder to navigate.

I have a $99 Lenovo 11" IdeaPad notebook with intel N4000 cpu and windows 10 home promoted win11 upgrade back in Oct. Things ran fine in win11.

I bought a 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 5 with AMD Ryzen 5 5500u which came with Windows 10 in the same month. Two months passed and the windows update never showed the win11 upgrade link so I manually upgrade it. It ran fine as well.

Removing the Windows.old folder via temp file clean up in the settings in both systems freed up ~13GB of disk space. They are storage hog.

Last edited:

My last two pc's have been Dell refurb's. My current Windows 10 system was new to me last year, with ample memory and disk, and cost about $250. But its 2015-vintage CPU is not on the current list of supported CPU's for Windows 11. I cannot imagine replacing the motherboard or processor, when the refurb systems with compatible CPU and memory and disk and etc. are so cheap. It is just not worth the bother to me of piecing a system together and dealing with all the problems that come up.

Back
Top Bottom