Winter in Yankee Land?

Martha said:
Winter is the time for projects.  UM wants a project.

Build a workshop in the basement and create an overly complicated device to accomplish some meaningless task.
Enter the Rube-Goldberg contest?  http://www.rube-goldberg.com/

Cover all the walls with pegboard and gather items to hang on the pegs.

Paint the basement floor with interesting colors. 

Me--I am doing "mission organization" in our overcrowded basement.  I like working on stain glass windows.  I am thinking about building a radio controlled boat.  I am going to repaint the bedroom walls. 

And I like to play outside too--if above 0.

EDIT:  I had another thought. You could take Christmas lights and poke them through the holes in pegboard to make an interesting design.  Use as a lighting source for the basement.   

Can I come and play?

I'm going to Texas to fish, boat, drink bourbon and think deep
thoughts. All the stuff I would do here if it was warmer.
Texas.............I wasn't born there but I got there as quick as I could
(even if only part time).

JG

sailor said:
MJ, I agree about resiliency. Body can definitely adjust - I remember when I started bicycle commuting first year I was drawing the line at 40F, next year it was down to 30F and now I have no set limit.
The key for me was a good full face balaclava and a lot of layers.

sailor

In my "biker days" (long lamented) I drew the line around 50
degrees. I could ride colder but it just was not comfortable.
Of course, we're talking 60 MPH. You know what is worse
though? Wind! I used to hate that.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
I'm going to Texas to fish, boat, drink bourbon and think deep
thoughts. All the stuff I would do here if it was warmer.

Of your four planned Texas activites, only bourbon drinking and theep dinking make any sense at the moment. It's 32 in deep South Texas and pardner, that's mighty cold in these parts. :(

REWahoo! said:
Of your four planned Texas activites, only boubon drinking and theep dinking make any sense at the moment.  It's 32 in deep South Texas and pardner, that's mighty cold in these parts. :(

Maybe ............but it's balmy compared to here.

JG

Martha said:
Well I disagree with Ha.  Too many changes in one year.  Stay put.  Check out winter life.  The world slows down.   And start a project in the basement. 

Martha, you are probably right. I wasn't thinking about the whole picture.

Ha

3 to 4 inches of snow so far - googling - looking a sauna kits for the basement - I plan to skip the part where you run out naked and roll in the snow.

heh heh heh heh

Then again a plain old workshop might be more the ticket.

unclemick2 said:
3 to 4 inches of snow so far - googling - looking a sauna kits for the basement - I plan to skip the part where you run out naked and roll in the snow.

heh heh heh heh

Where I am from, everone has a sauna in the basement or a separate free standing sauna (pronouced sowna, never sahna). I skip the naked in the snow part too. And swatting with switches. Or jumping into the lake. Community nakedness is fine though. :)

sauna.jpg

Martha said:
Where I am from, everone has a sauna in the basement or a separate free standing sauna (pronouced sowna, never sahna). I skip the naked in the snow part too. Or jumping into the lake. :)

When I was in Copenhagen over 30 years ago, I remember going to a local sauna. After 10 minutes, I went out to a pool of ice cold water and jumped in. It was refreshing to say the least.
When I had a country house and land upstate NY about 7 years ago. In the beginning of May when the outside climate became warm and sunny, I used to sun myself on my pond's diving platform. When I got nice and hot from the sun, I would dive in to my pond for a swim. The pond was being fed by a stream with freezing cold water. That swim lasted no more than a few minutes as I was afraid that parts of me would shrivel up and drop off. :'( :eek: :D

MJ

In 1995 we moved to Iowa after 14 years in Phoenix. One of our first purchases was a hot tub for those winter months. It was money well spent. :D :D :D

Martha,
Which one of those 4 gents is Greg?

Eagle43 said:
Martha,

I think the lead 2 are females. Bigger hips, no bald spot on the back of the head.

Duh?

I forgot the hot tub part - need to add that to my wish list. Pool table and perhaps some exercise equipment has been mentioned also. My lack of handyman skills has been mentioned relative to the workshop - but I have established a local volunteer for home theater/computer/electronic help/tutoring.

A boat in the basement is out of the question - due to door layout - a kayak perhaps?

heh heh heh

As for outdoors - so far I haven't seen one snowmoble - trailered or otherwise. Perhaps I'm to far south in MO.

Took the old GMC Sonoma out for practice - I haven't driven on snow and ice in thirty years - that was er ah fun - looks like a couple sandbags in back near the tailgate might be in order. It's nice to be in ER and drive out of curiousity rather than necessity.

So far - the Golden Retriever loves the snow - even he doesn't what to make of it.

P.S. - if I put a pin in Kansas City, MO and draw a 1-2 driving circle around it - what's out there Winter sports/entertainment wise?

unclemick2 said:
As for outdoors - so far I haven't seen one snowmoble - trailered or otherwise. Perhaps I'm to far south in MO.

If you only have 3-4 inches of snow, there isn't enough yet for snowmobiles. I think you are really too far south for snowmobile country.

Eagle43 said:
Martha,

At least you didn't ask which "gent" was me. :)

Martha said:
Community nakedness is fine though.
Thanks a lot, Martha. Some images are just seared too deeply into one's cerebral cortex to be forgotten. They have to be obliterated by repeated applications of sterile antiseptic solutions of an alcohol base...

This reminds me of what the Red Hot Chili Peppers did to the Beatle's "Abbey Road" album cover.

We'll have to see how high this gets on Google Images!

Myself, I think those women are cute. The lead dog has a particularly jaunty yet feminine gait.  :)

Martha-More! More!

Mikey

Gee, I never knew Missouri was Yankee land. Seemed pretty southern to me. ;) But I've never been to New Orleans, though my favorite t-shirt is from there -- Mom and Dad brought it back. If Missouri is Yankee land, it must be strange down there. :-*

As for the cold, you just get used to it (or not). Most of the people I know who move to Florida come back. My hiking buddies go skiing all winter, through April (in Vermont), when there's some grass showing. The oldest is 80, two are in their 70's, and they can't get enough of it.

We're getting a foot of snow within the next 24 hours (upstate NY). It's exciting. I'm going to go for a walk in the huge city park -- it's all decorated for Christmas. It will be beautiful.

I'm in Florida right now and don't know of anyone wanting to go back up north. A cool 72 today.

Gee, I never knew Missouri was Yankee land. Seemed pretty southern to me. But I've never been to New Orleans, though my favorite t-shirt is from there -- Mom and Dad brought it back. If Missouri is Yankee land, it must be strange down there

It is another one of those transition zones, depends on where you are from. True notherners would probably consider it the south and true southerners would consider it the north. Southern MO is very "country" and reminds me of the south. If you are from the east/west coast I am sure everything is hee-haw to you.

I'm in Florida right now and don't know of anyone wanting to go back up north. A cool 72 today.

Yeah FL is great those few months. Stick around for those 95 degree 100% humidity summers :p Everyone loves FL in the winter. Really any place has its share of crappy weather outside of Laurence's San Diego or Nord's Honolulu. Just of matter of what crappy weather you can tolerate the most.

Eagle43 said:
Martha,

I'm not in there. I'm too modest. When we do the sauna mixer stuff, I always wear socks.

kowski said:

I know people who decided not to go south! Cool 20's today. Snow coming!

HaHa said:
Myself, I think those women are cute. The lead dog has a particularly jaunty yet feminine gait. :)

Martha-More! More!

Mikey

Hey Ha: That falling bubble girl is really limber. How old do you think she is?

kat said:
I know people who decided not to go south!  Cool 20's today.  Snow coming!

Single digits, more snow, river frozen solid. Bah humbug!

JG

Back
Top Bottom