World Cup 2022

I’m watching on the Peacock app (Telemundo, I think)

Watching on Telemundo here. A plethora of "gooooools" in the England match! Today's performance by England will help to soothe some of the angst on the part of their fans coming into this WC.

Thanks for the Reddit links. Some interesting feedback on them. Guess I’m not doing anything wrong. I have been playing around with the different signals (YouTubeTV, Fox app, Peacock free version, and the best video quality seems to be my local Fox channel via OTA. My Samsung QLED seems to upscale that feed the best. It’s not all that important, but it’s turned into kind of a quest.

Watching on Telemundo here. A plethora of "gooooools" in the England match! Today's performance by England will help to soothe some of the angst on the part of their fans coming into this WC.

That’s for sure. Of course, Yoda would say “fickle they are, football fans …”

budweiser forked over $75 million to fifa as a sponsor.:facepalm:

Oth, as we've often witnessed at sporting events, alcohol and sports fans can too often be a toxic combination. I'm no teetotaler, yet i get infantino's point when he said that fans should be able to go 3 hours without a drink.

Bud-Can-Cover.jpg

I'm watching on my local Fox channel using the broadcast signal. The DVR is set to record a few games of interest in the event I don't get home in time.

Currently watching USA vs. Wales.

I like the Welsh and wish them well in the World Cup, just not today.

Budweiser forked over $75 million to FIFA as a sponsor.:facepalm:

OTH, as we've often witnessed at sporting events, alcohol and sports fans can too often be a toxic combination. I'm no teetotaler, yet I get Infantino's point when he said that fans should be able to go 3 hours without a drink.

I don’t disagree about going without a drink for 3 hours. However, that’s not the point. The point is Budweiser forked over a huge amount of money on the promise that beer would be sold and it was reneged on virtually at the last second.

U.S. v Wales

This draw feels more like a loss. It was a tale of two halves.

Wales manager Rob Page made 2nd half adjustments. Berhalter, OTH, did not.

Walker Zimmerman, who had been playing a heckuva match - had a "what was he thinking moment" and committed a rookie mistake with that poorly executed tackle on Bale.

Now it's the U.S. vs England who are soaring after their thrashing of Iran.

My friends son is in Qatar. He works for US soccer and is the point person for many big donors. He arrived ahead of time to learn the lay of the land, so he can guide his guests. Kind of cool!

Maybe he can convince FIFA to refund Budweiser their $75 mil.:D

I don't know what is in the contract between Budweiser's owner and FIFA. It sounds like a raw deal on the surface, but I can't know for certain.

It's hard to believe that Bud doesn't have some clauses that stipulates where and when beer can be sold during the World Cup. But, this would not be the first time a group of high powered lawyers got bested.

Last edited:
Lol, he’s not THAT important! I’m guessing Budweiser is SOL.

FIFA may be SOL in the long run.

I would think that future sponsors will be very careful about how much they pay, the conditions of the sponsorship, and what they get refunded if the conditions become unfavorable and/or violate the contract.

The fact that Qatar is even trying to do this is a big wake-up call.

Back on topic....

The USA won the first half. Wales won the second half. What else is new?

Argentina v Saudi Arabia

Damn! Wasn't expecting that result.

Maybe Australia can pull off the upset also?

Australia beating France? Unlikely. Had anyone asked a similar question yesterday about Saudi Arabia, we'd have had a good laugh. Yet, here we are! Considering how little time teams have had to train together, coupled with nagging injuries to some key players, there could be more upsets in the making.

I don't know what is in the contract between Budweiser's owner and FIFA. It sounds like a raw deal on the surface, but I can't know for certain.

It's hard to believe that Bud doesn't have some clauses that stipulates where and when beer can be sold during the World Cup. But, this would not be the first time a group of high powered lawyers got bested.

They can sue the Qatari’s all they want. They won’t get anywhere, I think Budweiser knows this already

Cameroon could have used the likes of Roger Milla and his penchant for World Cup dramatics today vs Switzerland.

Brazil was in good form today and played a wonderful game, and Richarlison scored an amazing goal. They are so fast.

Interesting to see how rule changes are affecting the game. Teams now have 5 substitutions and as a result managers are substituting more freely, at least among the teams with good depth. Much more extra time is being assigned as well, and it’s making the matches seem long.

Richarlison's 2nd goal qualifies as a ¡Golazo!

Save for Brazil hitting the woodwork on a couple of shots and missing a couple of sitters, the match could have easily 5-0.

Brazil is loaded front to back and right now it appears the tournament is theirs to lose.

Back
Top Bottom