Wrist watch

education

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi Guys--

You know that all professors have a reputation for being absent minded. Well, I'm living proof. Today I got into the pool (yeah with water in it) to clean the sides of some algae and forgot to take off my watch--again. This is the 3rd time since June I've destroyed a good watch. The repairs cost more than the watches.

DW wants me to buy a Rolex Oyster that will withstand my dips. I am balking. Even the preowned are more than the cost of some small islands and besides, I'd feel very self-conscious wearing one, anyway. I think they are too over the top.

Any suggestions on tried and true water proof or resistant watches that don't rival the national debt? Thanks.

Professor

Prof, you are retired - forget about a watch.

When the sun comes up it is time for coffee and breakfast, when the sun goes down it is time for a beer, in between, you do what you like, when you like.

Anyway, Rolexes (and other CC jewelry) attract vultures - as described elsewhere in this forum.

Has anyone ever saw a digital pocket watch?

I'm thinking of the look of a classical pocket watch with a face cover with the internal workings/functions of a modern digital watch. Just something I've always wanted. I think I like the idea of a pocket watch, with a chain and not having something on my wrist.

If you ever seen one, let me know where I can buy one.
txs

A Rolex has a mechanical movement. In order to have it serviced properly, most people send theirs back to the factory. Needs service every three years or so. Costs a fortune! My BIL, who really likes fancy toys, has stopped wearing his for this reason. High maintentance . . .

HH

Avoid Rolex. Expensive to buy. Expensive to maintain. Doesn't keep time well. Requires winding (or shaking). And encourages thieves to cut off your hands.

Instead, get one of these:

Timex Expedition

Tough. Accurate. Indiglo light. Water resistant. $15.

I used to be a lifeguard, and never once did I think "hmmm, maybe a rolex" while looking for waterproof watches ::)

More than anything, it was probably because I was only making $6.75/hr back then. :)

I haven't owned a working watch since 1986 or so. Society provides enough clocks and people so I let someone else worry about the time.

Same here--no watch since the university days. This probably contributed to my "stupid human trick" ability to guess the time within five minutes 90% of the time even without seeing a clock for hours. Back during the beach days, I used to win many beers this way.

Let the wrist watch thing go....

I haven't worn a watch for more than 20 years since I developed a rash on my wrist from the metal under the watch face.  I've learned where all the clocks are around me and like tozz have developed a kind of sixth sense for knowing what time it is. 

jj

Have five watches, worth a grand total of maybe $300.

Hardly ever wear one...

But I could if I wanted!! :p

I have a $20 casio that I swim in regularly. It is water resistant to 50M. I have a nice, expensive watch also but prefer my $20 casio.

No watch for me. I also can guess the time pretty accurately. I even used to have an internal wake up alarm that I can set to try and wake up at a certain time. I can snooze for a 10 minute period and wake up. This has diminished with age so I now rely on a real alarm clock for those rare occaisions when I need to get up early.

This may sound handy but I need a coffee caffiene zap to really wake up - I am a zombie without it.

Mike D.

I am with Wab.

Timex Indiglo.

Mine went through the washing machine recently and still lives.

I dig the Indiglo feature.

I, too, developed an internal clock. Ever since the Army, I wake up just before the alarm goes off, no matter when. My ears are still listening for the slam of the screen door and the voice of the drill sargeant.

Gypsy

Hi wab--

Thanks for the info. That is one good looking timepiece. And the price is good looking, too. I'm not one for Madison Avenue hype--Mont Blanc pens, Rolex, etc. I would rather have money in my pocket than to be a part of conspicuous consumption.

Guys--I'm not retired yet. But you can bet I'm counting the nanoseconds!!!!!!!!!!! August or December of '06 and it will be mistletoe on my coat tale!!!!!!!!

Professor

I was thinking about the watch I found about 10 years ago on the ground somewhere. It is a little beat up, but it has worked great. It is a pocketwatch - no arm band (got ripped off partially before I found it). I've been in water with it on multiple occasions (some on purpose, some not). I just checked - and it is a Timex indiglo Ironman Triathlon. Very reliable timepiece.

Professor said:
Guys--I'm not retired yet.  But you can bet I'm counting the nanoseconds!!!!!!!!!!!  August or December of '06 and it will be mistletoe on my coat tale!!!!!!!!
If you must wear a watch, I've enjoyed the Casio sports watches (the 50M watch is great for a SCUBA backup timer) and the Timex Indiglo. I get a lot more battery life from the Casio and their "G-Shock" model is a lot harder to scratch up the face. The Timex was battle-scarred after a month.

Since you're committed to the ER lifestyle, make sure your watch has both a date and a day display on it. For the first couple months of ER you won't care about the time but you'll lose track of which day it is-- this is very bad if you decide to go shopping without realizing that it's a Saturday afternoon.

But a few months into ER you'll realize that your watch has spent the last week sitting on a desk or a nightstand somewhere...

Any watch that cost most than 15 dollars that isnt at least water resistant is crap. I didn't even know it was possible to buy one that isnt water resistant today.

Believe me, it's possible. 2 Elgins and a Citizen, They were low-end watches but I'm here to testify they were allegic to H2O.

Professor

On weekends or vacations, the first thing I do is lose the watch. When I ER, I doubt that I will carry one, and I know I won't carry a cell phone, except one that is turned "off" to be used for emergencies.

I don't wear a watch, but buy real cheap, cheap watches at Target or Walmart and wrap through my car key ring. Does the trick and never mind if it gets lost, broken, etc.

Hi Ginger--

I don't worry about losing it. I go in the pool and they rust and freeze up. I need advice on a cheap waterproof or at least resistant watch. I've done this 3 times since June.

Professor

SO just bought a Casio on sale at Target for $17.99 water resistant to 100 meters (it says). His prvious Casio was similar and he swims and scuba dives (not to mention showers!!!) in it all the time.

A watch to solve the pool problem and the absent-mindedness:

Timex Ironman Datalink

I've got hundreds of phone numbers in my watch; it reminds me of birthdays and anniversaries; it reminds me to take out the garbage on Friday; it times my workouts.

It hooks to the computer via USB.

A no-brainer decision for me.

Damn, Trombone Al, I don't want a watch that is a whole lot smarter than me. And from the sound of it, a helluva lot more organized!!!!!!!!

I just want a dependable watch to tell the time and to go with me when I have watery adventures. Sounds like your watch could morph into something that could take over the world!!! :eek:

Professor

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom