Yellow jackets under the siding-what would you do?

What do I do?

I close the door and tell DH to take care of it. (It's in the pre-nup. He handles all things buggy or creepy crawly.)

Aha! DW must have been talking to you before our wedding.:LOL:

I had yellow jackets nesting in the wall of my house behind the siding. I wanted a low-toxicity solution, so I used Combat Source Kill Max Roach Killing Gel. I applied the gel to pieces of blue tape that I stuck near their entry/exit hole. I reapplied the gel every day until they stopped eating it.

You need a place to put the gel out of the weather. This is a slow method. I think it took a week to kill the nest.

We had yellow jackets build a nest in the wall cavity of our guest bedroom. They were entering through a gap in the soffit. It sounded like they were chewing on something in the attic space. Last week the pest control company came out and treated from the outside using a residual insecticide. Since we could still hear them and see some flying into the soffit over the weekend they came back today to treat again. The exterminator went into the guest bedroom to treat by poking a hole in the ceiling. Well, the yellow jackets almost ate their way into our house through the drywall and the nest almost fell into the room because the drywall was soft and gave way when he poked the hole in it. He sprayed the nest then used painters tape to seal the ceiling. That should take care of the issue but we now have drywall work to do once we are 1,000% sure their gone.

I saw several YouTube videos of situations like yours. I never want it to get that far-we’d have to move out! The other side of that wall is our family room and we have an open floor plan. I’ve been going around the house listening to the walls with my stethoscope and I’ve heard nothing except occasional wing buzzing on the the wall behind the opening where they go in and out.

I called another company and they said our guy was on track and to be patient. It will probably take more applications of Sevin. I do think the vacuum drastically reduced the number of workers so they same ones go in and out more. This could help them drag more Sevin into kill off fewer remaining yellow jackets.

We had a yellow jacket nest in our bedroom walls years ago.I discovered it one evening when I heard buzzing next to the bed, looked all over for a bee in the room. Finally put my stethascope to the wall--yowza! very loud and active! DH had a friend who did professional pest control. He cam out at dusk to watch exactly where they were entering the siding, suited up, sprayed dust and that took care of it. Had to watch for dying bees in the grass for a few days to not step on them.
DD and DSiL had a honey bee hive in their attic, accessed behind their closet. Hired a beekeeper, he and his partner came out sucked out the bees to rehome to their farm, removed the comb and honey, cleaned and replaced the drywall. They left a container of honey and comb for them. It was delicious!

I saw several YouTube videos of situations like yours. I never want it to get that far-we’d have to move out! The other side of that wall is our family room and we have an open floor plan. I’ve been going around the house listening to the walls with my stethoscope and I’ve heard nothing except occasional wing buzzing on the the wall behind the opening where they go in and out.

I called another company and they said our guy was on track and to be patient. It will probably take more applications of Sevin. I do think the vacuum drastically reduced the number of workers so they same ones go in and out more. This could help them drag more Sevin into kill off fewer remaining yellow jackets.

It might make you feel better to have the siding removed to inspect the situation in the fall or once you’re sure the colony is dead. A professional (anyone who knows what they’re doing and has a couple special tools) can remove and replace siding very easily. I had a couple middle pieces replaced once and it went way easier than I thought. It was a friend of a friend and they didn’t even charge me.

Yellow jackets are mean, they bite through clothes so fast you don't know what happened and it hurts a lot.

I've dealt with them twice. One it was late summer and I just waited til they hibernated (or left) around the first of November and removed it.

The second time was mid summer. A next inside my boat, under one of the seats, I got bit many times before I even knew what happened I couldn't get close to it. I put on a rubber rain suit, rubber boots and gloves then my fire department breathing apparatus and went in there and removed the nest by hand, I was spraying RAID or something like that the whole time. I put the nest in a pail of water and carried it away and burried it.

Get some Tempo Dust, it may have been what the contractor used. I've had great luck with it but have had to apply it a couple of times over the course of a couple days on yellow jackets. You just have to get a bit at the entrance and they carry it into the nest. This dust also works great for other insects as well and the residual lasts a long time. I've used on wasp next under my carport and after 2 years of use killing them they pretty much quit coming back.

I lost a leather sandal on top of a ground nest. They formed a funnel cloud around it and stung themselves to death in permanent war. Dropped citronella candle to infuriate also, chemical signal for attack. Unwise if you have that big a nest.

I want to give a quick update. For a few days, we ran the vacuum morning and evening. It was very hot on the bricks and they tended not to come out during the midday sun. We applied Tempo dust all along the place where the bricks meet the siding, and reapplied it at the opening. For about a week, whenever the mood struck us, and for me over my morning coffee, I'd sit in the breakfast nook listening to a podcast and turn the vacuum on and off as they either approached from foraging or tried to leave the nest. Occasionally there would be a few sentries guarding the opening, and when the vacuum came on they tried to figure out how to attack it, resulting in instant death from the vacuum. For the past two days we have seen no yellow jackets, and yesterday afternoon we serviced the hot tub which is right there by the back door and weren't bothered at all.

There were too many for the dust alone to work, and we probably vacuumed up at least 500-1000 yellow jackets, and the rest were killed by the dust. Also, a couple of days ago, I saw a larger one at the opening. When it crawled out, I turned on the vacuum. It may have been the queen.

I think we just got our backyard back. I'll keep you posted.

Indiajust, I liked the story of the yellow jackets attacking the leather sandal.

Great news EWGal! Hope that’s the end of that forever.

Last nest I had to knock out I approached from the INSIDE ..... The wall was warm to the touch. This nest was a wooper. MiL was stung 4 times trying to treat it from outside. Sooo I took a utility knife and cut a small hole in the wall board on the inside of the house. Stuck the nozzle of the spray can in the hole and un loaded the WHOLE CAN. Next day I caulked the outside hole. And patched the inside hole.

Easy Peasy.

No activity in since 8/3. I think we won. We’ll seal the opening in awhile. We took down the shop vac and can safely enjoy the garden and the deck. Yay!

No activity in since 8/3. I think we won. We’ll seal the opening in awhile. We took down the shop vac and can safely enjoy the garden and the deck. Yay!

Great!! Thanks for the update.

Great idea with the vacuum.

All my experiences have been to spray wasp killer onto the nest. Are you absolutely positive they didn't go into the house and build a nest ?

Last year, I had one go in along the dryer vent into a cupboard space. It had perplexed the renters, but a flashlight and I could see it. A double treatment of Menard's wasp killer spray (more like a stream) killed them all. Then I sealed the hole.

Re-reading your post, is this brick on the house or a separate stand alone fireplace ?

Yep, this is what we did. We had some "sure shot" or some such and just about emptied the can into the hole they were using as an entrance. W*rked the first time. I hate to think of the mess they left. Once no more YJs emerged, we sealed the hole. ONE (just one) made it inside the house. Not sure how/where, but he was pretty sick by the time he (probably she) got inside. DW is deathly allergic so I handled the wayward YJ. I'm afraid of them as well, but have no allergies. Good luck.

Analogy time...

Honeybees are to model T as yellow jackets are to 2023 F1 race car.

Oh, yeah! YJs are vicious little pests. They seem to sting for no reason (or no reason I can see.) If you see one - you are in danger of being stung. Get rid of them at all costs.

Back
Top Bottom