YellowStone and Grand Tetons

They have a nice ER there in Cody. Was stuck in Cody for three days and in and out of the ER several times after throwing out my back while changing a flat tire in Yellowstone :-\. Be careful if you get off the beaten path :)

Hi, we are now in Cody and going to the Buffalo Bill Museum today. Tomorrow will head into YS. Will be using many of your suggestions. Thanks!!

Buffalo Bill museum was awesome. There is a nightly rodeo in Cody and it is a hoot. You can get half price admission at that gift store across from the museum, also other places. My kids had a blast last year. I think that is highway 12 or something that comes into the park from the SE end, a very awesome drive to wherever you are headed to stay...........:)

I also recommend the Beartooth highway. it is one of the most scenic roads in the United States. The view traveling from east to west is better (because Yellowstone is to the west, but prairie is to the east of the Beartooth mountains), but if you can only do west to east, that's fine also. Actually, you could stay in Cooke City or Silvergate, and drive over and back. Then you would see everything. An All-American Road in Wyoming & Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives Photographs of Beartooth Highway & Chief Joseph Highway Beartooth Highway - Red Lodge, MT

I second that. In addition Wymoing Highway 296 branches back to Cody, and provides another very scenic route. (That is the Chief Joseph Highway). The Beartooth highway eventually reaches a glacial valley on the way to Red Lodge and you descend from 10,500 or so to about 6700 in a very few miles, as you go down in the Valley.

One thing I noticed about Yellowstone, even in the thick of tourist season, is that a simple walk over 1/4 mile on a somewhat lesser known trail will get you away from the crowds and noise.

Yellowstone seems to attract a lot of people whose idea of visiting a national park is driving from one scenic wonder to the next, getting out of the car, walking no more than 100 yards, taking a photo and returning to the car.
The 1/4 mile filter works wonders!

I agree with that. We hiked about a half mile off the pull out in Landers valley and we were alone in the wilderness! Bison were feeding and grunting a couple of hundred yards away, pretty much ignoring us (thank goodness). Old Faithful is a mob scene now, much more crowded than I remember from 20 years ago.

Are you going to the Grand Tetons at all?

Going to the Grand Tetons on Sunday and staying through Wed. I've got reservations for a dinner/raft trip and we plan on going to the rodeo also.

I also recommend the Beartooth highway. it is one of the most scenic roads in the United States. The view traveling from east to west is better (because Yellowstone is to the west, but prairie is to the east of the Beartooth mountains), but if you can only do west to east, that's fine also. Actually, you could stay in Cooke City or Silvergate, and drive over and back. Then you would see everything. An All-American Road in Wyoming & Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana & Wyoming Scenic Drives Photographs of Beartooth Highway & Chief Joseph Highway Beartooth Highway - Red Lodge, MT
Second this. Just wow.

Been having good weather until last night. Our evening rafting trip was pretty much ruined by torrential rains and gusting winds :-(
Couldn't even see the Tetons most of the trip. We at least got great views of them the day before and today.

One thing I noticed about Yellowstone, even in the thick of tourist season, is that a simple walk over 1/4 mile on a somewhat lesser known trail will get you away from the crowds and noise.

Yellowstone seems to attract a lot of people whose idea of visiting a national park is driving from one scenic wonder to the next, getting out of the car, walking no more than 100 yards, taking a photo and returning to the car.
The 1/4 mile filter works wonders!

Let me relate a similar experience from Zion Park. Drove thru the Valley from East to West and could not find a parking space at the visitor center. (They have a shuttle up the valley). Drove over to the Kolob Canyons Section, just off i-15 and it was virtually empty there is a 7 mile road to up into this canyon. Let alone on the Kolob Terrace Road which is paved and leads to Lava Point where you can overlook the valley etc. About 4 cars at the overlook. So it appears if you get away from the hyped area at a park there are few people. (Just about 2 weeks ago). Capital Reef was about 1/3 full also at the visitor center, but on the Burr Trail road from Boulder drove for about 30 mins and saw 3 cars (again the road is paved at least that far, but actually not in Capital Reef National Park). So the famous places get the traffic and the not famous don't

Our trip has concluded and we appreciate all the great ideas. Horse back riding, raft trips, travels up Lamar Valley were included because of your inputs!! We had a great time.

I will be back. The Geysers and the Tetons do have a pull on one.

Back
Top Bottom