Yesterday my 16 year old, high school junior son got his drivers license...

I wonder if the driving instructor you used is legitimate. Per the PA website, an under 18 age driver must have his learner's permit for a minimum of six months and you, as the parent, must certify that the candidate has had 65 hours of road experience, to include driving at night and in inclement weather.

I should have been more specific: the driving instructions came after he had driven with her, I or both of us for the past 6 months.

An inauspicious start -
Early on with my son at the wheel we pulled up to a intersection and were making a right turn and my son stopped to yield for traffic and BAM and over anxious driver plowed into the back of my car. The police wrote it up as entirely the other guys fault and even chastised him about following to close. His insurance company footed the bill for the repairs. Even though clearly not his fault my son's and our confidence was shaken by the incident.

Many of the local roads here are narrow, hilly, curvy and there's lots of trees which cut down on visibility. The often taken route to the HS for evening events is particularly nasty: being cut into a hill with drop off on one side. Many trees that line the road show the scars from the buses and others. Even the most experienced driver is challenged and doesn't like the road. Our novice driver would make me and the Mrs. very nervous there.

Lately the crazy too warm for Nov/Dec has lead to ground fog and hard to defeat foggy windows which adds to our anxiety about our new driver. Two nights ago I was driving and both the Mrs and I just couldn't seem to defeat those foggy windows on a drizzly night. Yeah I suppose it is better than snow or worse yet ice.

We went the instructor route as a precaution and to make sure someone else said he was ready.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
That is one of the weird things about having teenagers... you learn that there is only so much you can control. We never had a problem but you'll always worry about things that you can't control. Lay down a sensible set of ground rule and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom