yosemite national park

We were very happy with Tenaya lodge. Enjoy.

Attachments

• 2690.jpg
    2690.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • 2740.jpg
    2740.jpg
    1,007.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 2760.jpg
    2760.jpg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 2
One more idea. When you get to the Yosemite entrance they will give you a weekly calendar of events. I have always enjoyed going to a NPS Ranger talk or two. Some of the talks are for kids, and some are better for adults. Also, stop in at the Ansel Adams Gallery in the valley floor. Nice photos, and they run a few photography classes that are great for novices.

I have to say that I was disappointed with the Ansel Adams Gallery in December 2022. It was more like a store with very little related to AA. Plenty of photography trinkets, sure, but nothing very interesting IMO. I'm a bit of an AA fan and remembered it being better 30 years ago. Just MHO.

We stayed at Yosemite West High Sierra B&B. Great place located inside of Yosemite. Highly recommend, but not for folks who are adverse to stairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 7.25.58 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-02-18 at 7.25.58 AM.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 3
If you are up for a challenge, all-day (12 hr ) hike up to Half Dome!

You’ll need a hiking permit! Limited number of hikers allowed up due to traffic jams going up and down on the cables.

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/234652

Thanks for the suggestion but I am afraid that this will be beyond our hiking abilities.

I have been researching and this is what I have so far as our itinerary ... suggestions obviously welcome:

Day 1: Lower Yosemite Falls Loop (30 minutes), Bridalveil Falls (30 minutes), Mirror Lake (5 miles loop around lake), Visit Yosemite Village and the Ahwahnee Hotel

Day 2: Yosemite Valley – Mist Trail (6 hours). With a picnic lunch that is probably a full day.

Day 3: Mariposa Grove - Big Trees Loop (30 minutes), Grizzly Giant Loop (2 hours), Guardians Loop (6 hours)

Day 4: Not sure ... but maybe drive or shuttle to Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome hike (2 mile), or maybe El Capitan meadow hike or Cathedral beach hike in the Valley, or maybe Hetch Hetchy based on comments above, or maybe rent bikes in Yosemite Valley

Yes on reservations, it can be very crowded. Last time we went Yosemite Valley was a parking lot of slow traffic. The high country and Tuolumne Meadows road was still closed with snow in June. We went to Hetch Hetchy "next door" and it was awesome and almost deserted. I would not want to go to Yosemite Valley in crowd season again. Sorry to say.

This scares me ... I am just hoping that going at the end of May will be just early enough to not have parking lot of crowds and just late enough to be warm enough.

Yes on reservations, it can be very crowded. Last time we went Yosemite Valley was a parking lot of slow traffic. The high country and Tuolumne Meadows road was still closed with snow in June. We went to Hetch Hetchy "next door" and it was awesome and almost deserted. I would not want to go to Yosemite Valley in crowd season again. Sorry to say.

Free the Hetch Hetchy!

Thanks for the suggestion but I am afraid that this will be beyond our hiking abilities.

Day 4: Not sure ... but maybe drive or shuttle to Glacier Point and Sentinel Dome hike (2 mile), or maybe El Capitan meadow hike or Cathedral beach hike in the Valley, or maybe Hetch Hetchy based on comments above, or maybe rent bikes in Yosemite Valley
I vote HH for Day 4. Hike the Wapama/Tueeulala Falls trail. It should easily be within your ability due to limited elevation gain and it won't be crowded.

I vote HH for Day 4. Hike the Wapama/Tueeulala Falls trail. It should easily be within your ability due to limited elevation gain and it won't be crowded.
Ok, I just watched a couple videos on Hetch Hetchy and it looks really cool! I am starting to think this should be day 4. It would be a 2.5 hour drive from fish camp. But looks like it should have plenty of parking and looks like a unique experience to get so close to the waterfalls. As long as conditions make the trail bridges passable.

Ok, I just watched a couple videos on Hetch Hetchy and it looks really cool! I am starting to think this should be day 4. It would be a 2.5 hour drive from fish camp. But looks like it should have plenty of parking and looks like a unique experience to get so close to the waterfalls. As long as conditions make the trail bridges passable.

The Hetch Hetchy Valley before it was flooded to supply water to San Francisco was as beautiful and wonderful as Yosemite Valley. Photos below. In the 1980's the Regan administration proposed removing the O'shaunesy dam and starting the restoration of the Hetch Hetchy Valley. That restoration would take 100 to 200 years with Mother Nature doing most of the work after some land restoration done by mankind. Alas, San Francisco and the California delegation would not go along with the plan and it died. Had they started we would be 40 years along that path.

Attachments

• HH2.jpg
    HH2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 37
  • hh1.jpg
    hh1.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 36
The Hetch Hetchy Valley before it was flooded to supply water to San Francisco was as beautiful and wonderful as Yosemite Valley. Photos below. In the 1980's the Regan administration proposed removing the O'shaunesy dam and starting the restoration of the Hetch Hetchy Valley. That restoration would take 100 to 200 years with Mother Nature doing most of the work after some land restoration done by mankind. Alas, San Francisco and the California delegation would not go along with the plan and it died. Had they started we would be 40 years along that path.

I was waiting for you to chime in on this. Keep fighting the good fight Chuck. I support and admire your passion on it.

Very pretty. I have to wonder if the plan included a way to replace that water to the end users. Could be a sticking point.

Very pretty. I have to wonder if the plan included a way to replace that water to the end users. Could be a sticking point.

IIRC, there was a plan to expand the capacity of one or another reservoir that was part of the CA water project. I don't thing the flower-power city wanted to give up its more exclusive rights. Too bad.

The water system here is rather complicated and highly engineered.
Natural is best, but people have screwed up much bigger things.
I'll stop now. I don't disagree.

I was waiting for you to chime in on this. Keep fighting the good fight Chuck. I support and admire your passion on it.

We managed to Free the Elwha! up here in WA state. Two minimally productive dams were removed in the largest dam removal project in US history. A sizeable ecological gain for a very minimal reduction in electric power. Today, with demand to electrify stoves, cars, heating etc. I wonder if even those puny dams would be removed.

Today, the Elwha River is the site of one of the largest ecosystem restoration projects in National Park Service history. With its sparkling river surrounded by mountains, the Elwha Valley is a popular destination for all.
Alas flood damage to roads and facilities limits access to this wonderful place to those who are fit enough for a long day's hike in and out. There are no camping areas in the valley at this time. But, the salmon runs are returning from what I have heard.

OK, back on topic.

If you must visit Yosemite during the busy summer season, try to get Sun-Mon-Tues reservations. It's not quite as crowded and chaotic those days since the weekend crowd goes home starting late Sunday morning. So I am told. Also, get up early and be outside by 7:00 AM. Visiting Yosemite is not for the faint hearted.

Last edited:
If you must visit Yosemite during the busy summer season, try to get Sun-Mon-Tues reservations. It's not quite as crowded and chaotic those days since the weekend crowd goes home starting late Sunday morning. So I am told. Also, get up early and be outside by 7:00 AM. Visiting Yosemite is not for the faint hearted.

And rent bicycles. You can get around much better on bike than by car.

A friend told me 3-4 years ago, they arrived at 5 AM and the gate was unmanned and open. They cruised right in. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom