Your Best Performing Fund Last Year?

Vanguard Healthcare, up 14.0%. Extra return % was because it triggered a rebalance in June so I sold some shares at a relative high.

Best performing investment last year was our rental property in orcas. Grew by about $50ish on 160 down payment.

Now, before someone says "you can't count that 31% growth because you're going to retire there" the house in SoCal also grew by about the same. Fair enough to count one of the two, isn't it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Vanguard Heath care. I think it went up more than 11% plus.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

3.00% Guaranteed Interest Fund in TSA
2.39% Vanguard REIT Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGSLX)
1.53% Stable Value Fund in 401(k)

On the 2015 Callan Table, S&P500 Growth is listed at top with 5.52%.

I actually don't know on a fund by fund level. I use an Excel workbook to track money in and out and calculate performance using the XIRR function. I have a sheet for each "account" (My IRA, my Roth, DW's IRA, DW's Roth, after-tax VG ETF's, & Cash), plus a sheet that totals everything so I can total ins and outs and calculate overall IRR. I don't calculate the performance of individual funds but I do use my own workbook, plus VG's portfolio analyzer, to calculate the AA against my target AA.

My idea is to concentrate on getting the mix right and not be distracted by individual fund performance.

Well, I have Quicken to calculate this for me. I can breakdown ROI by mutual fund in any account.

But the way I knew off the top of my head, is that I update my Morningstar tracking portfolio every Jan. And their view makes it really easy to sort funds by YTD performance.

Last edited:
Vanguard Health Care (VGHAX) at +12.71% was best fund
Vanguard Explorer (VEXRX) at -4.22% was worst fund.

PenFed was my best return too.

Actually, the S&P 500 fund in my DC plan returned 66% annualized but the DC fund changed their funds on September 30 so they bought it then and I rolled it over to my IRA in December so sold that fund on Nov 30 and in the Sept 30 to Nov 30 period the fund went up almost 9% over those 2 months.

Since the winner by landslide is Vanguard Health Care VGHAX I had to look it up never having owned this fund. Wow - past performance is mighty impressive. Near as I can tell by looking at Vanguards stock list VGHAX is their best performing fund by a long shot for 1,5, and 10 years...

PeFed 3.04% CD here also. It seems that many here took advantage of that narrow window that the CD was offered.

My other major holding is Vanguard Total World ETF. That lost just under 2% for the year.

I guess my Vanguard Heath Care fund. I own it and it seems to have gone up the most for the rest of you. Otherwise, I can't really say. I imagine next year it will be some other fund.

Since the winner by landslide is Vanguard Health Care VGHAX I had to look it up never having owned this fund. Wow - past performance is mighty impressive. Near as I can tell by looking at Vanguards stock list VGHAX is their best performing fund by a long shot for 1,5, and 10 years...

Went heavy on this in 2015. Glad we did :dance:

My best MF for 2015 was also a healthcare fund, at something close to 10% return.

Next was a large cap growth fund, and it returned 6.5%. I have held this fund for close to 30 years, so looked up its historical performance. Some years it beat the S&P, some years not. But after 30 years, the difference is not significant, and it ran neck-to-neck with the S&P.

Best fund(s) were international small cap. I have several (IEUS, SCZ, VINEX) and they did around +10%.

Worst as emerging markets (VWO) at -16%.

Most surprising was US Reits at +2.5%. If anything I expected them to have a bad year and they turned out to be one of my better performing assets (at least in rank order).

Fidelity Select Retailing Portfolio--FSRPX--+18.41%

My best MF for 2015 was also a healthcare fund, at something close to 10% return.

Next was a large cap growth fund, and it returned 6.5%. I have held this fund for close to 30 years, so looked up its historical performance. Some years it beat the S&P, some years not. But after 30 years, the difference is not significant, and it ran neck-to-neck with the S&P.
I guess all of the healthcare funds did well in 2015 and have done well since the 2010 time period. I wonder if this is due to increased business re Obamacare since then? If that program gets changed/eliminated that might impact this performance (along with a whole slew of other things - sorry for the self inflicted thread derail...)

On your next point, I suspect many of us have legacy funds that are not doing too badly re their benchmarks and we hang on either for tax reasons or just because we have grown fond of them. Darn it another self inflicted derail.

I guess all of the healthcare funds did well in 2015 and have done well since the 2010 time period. I wonder if this is due to increased business re Obamacare since then? If that program gets changed/eliminated that might impact this performance
Given the rates our health insurance premiums were rising even prior to Obamacare (like 7-10% a year), I'm not exactly surprised by the high returns.

Investors Always Miss Rallies [CHARTS] - Business Insider
average-investor-returns.jpg

Last edited:
3.00% Guaranteed Interest Fund in TSA
2.39% Vanguard REIT Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGSLX)
1.53% Stable Value Fund in 401(k)

On the 2015 Callan Table, S&P500 Growth is listed at top with 5.52%.

Do you have a link to the 2015 table? The Callan site now requires registration which I never had to do before.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Best: +2.39% Vanguard REIT Index Fund Admiral Shares (VGSLX)

Worst: -15.95% Fidelity Spartan Emerging Markets Index (FPMAX)

Back
Top Bottom