Your favorite 2022 Purchase?

Scubamax

Recycles dryer sheets
The week after Christmas is always a time to do some reflection. I typically don't ask myself what was my favorite thing I got in the past year, but somehow the thought crossed my mind and thought it would be a great topic.

For me, it was a subscription to YouTube Premium. I was on the fence for a year or so and then decided to try the free trial. What I found is without annoying commercials I was watching a ton more content and am continually expanding my horizons on various subjects. I did not think it would impact my year so much but am glad I did it!

What was your favorite purchase that impacted your life in 2022?

Scubamax

Several things but I guess I'd put my latest sports car purchase at the top... Bought it in February... Can't believe it's coming up on a year old already.

My favorite purchase of the year was an ebike. Since I fell and broke my hip in 2017 I had 3 major surgeries including a total hip replacement. I struggled with recovery and still have chronic pain to this day. Before the ebike I was basically unable to spend time outside doing any activity due to the pain since more walking equals more pain. After 4 years I finally got back on my regular bike in 2021 but I struggled with hills and starting from a stop. That is why I bought the ebike. It helps significantly while still allowing me to get a good amount of exercise. I can travel for up to 60 miles in a day getting lots of fresh air, vitamin D, and exercise. I can still overdue it as I found out the hard way but it's a huge improvement.

I have two.

1.) A $13 magnifying glass like little old ladies sometimes use to read tiny print. I'm not old!! But it sure makes those letters a lot easier to decipher.

2.) A $7 computer mouse. Only those who had a mouse fail completely on them can understand. It's so nice to have a functioning mouse. At that price I bought two so that the next time one breaks, I'll have a spare until I can order a replacement.

We purchased a cruise for us and DW’s siblings and family. It’s only the Caribbean, but we always have so much fun together.

Focusing on THINGS rather than travel experiences, two items come to mind:
1) the new Weber Genesis gas grill I got for the girlfriend's place, replacing a rotted out old grill
2) the new set of Cooper all terrain tires I just got for my F-150, replacing the originals after 7 years, 76,000 miles...

I didn't buy it (my dad bought it for me after I was lamenting how expensive they are for what they are) but a 16" pizza steel. It's really upped my pizza game and made me a bit dough obsessed.

A low profile shallow water fin for my paddleboard has been fantastic too.... not cheap but locally designed and made in USA. Tracks the same but takes away a headache on low water days and reduces hitting obstacles in rivers.

Has to be the new truck purchased less than a month ago -- 2023 Tacoma;
second place would be my latest mountain bike (Specialized).

I am sure there's some recency bias, but playing Pine Needles Golf Club in Southern Pines NC with three of my best buddies is the first thing that comes to mind. I don't much care about things anymore, I enjoy spending money on experiences more than things...

A $13 magnifying glass like little old ladies sometimes use to read tiny print. I'm not old!! But it sure makes those letters a lot easier to decipher.

I keep one with my OTC meds. It is impossible to read the tiny print on them without one. I've taken to marking the dosage on each bottle with a Sharpie since that's what I really need to know.

Excluding experiences (travel is a big part of my budget) and focusing on things, it would have to be my Apple watch. I got it for $80 (usually $430) as part of a heart health study (Heartline). I had a FitBit but this does so much more. In addition to all the health tools (heart rate, blood oxygen, EKG) it's pretty much an extension of my iPhone so I can also use it for calls, texts, etc. My granddaughters love the decibel meter!

Reactions: W2R
I have two.

1.) A $13 magnifying glass like little old ladies sometimes use to read tiny print. I'm not old!! But it sure makes those letters a lot easier to decipher.

2.) A $7 computer mouse. Only those who had a mouse fail completely on them can understand. It's so nice to have a functioning mouse. At that price I bought two so that the next time one breaks, I'll have a spare until I can order a replacement.

For someone trying to figure out how to BTD i'm surprised you didn't buy a wireless mouse. I paid $60 for mine but it's lasted around 10 years so far.

Tops has to be the Bachelor's degree my oldest earned in May.

Second place goes to the motorcycle bought in November. First one in 25 years.

My coffee table and end table. My last ones were bought at a consignment shop 20 years ago.

I'll say my rescue pup, who had his first nine months without much human interaction and has given me a lot of interesting situations to navigate, piece of cake and gratifying for someone retired.

As far as things go, buying better tires for my daughter has given me a lot of peace of mind.

I'd love to say my new AWD high ground clearance car, but waiting til next year for that when hopefully there's a bit more selection.

A new set of high quality kitchen knives.
We have never had a great set of knives. Makes a difference in prepping and cooking!

Focusing on THINGS rather than travel experiences, two items come to mind:

2) the new set of Cooper all terrain tires I just got for my F-150, replacing the originals after 7 years, 76,000 miles...

What? Seventy-six thousand miles on a set of OEM tires?!! Nicely done. I hope they still had a bit of tread on them.

A condo near Dayton, Ohio to use as a summer home. Summers in Florida are getting too warm for us.

Dayton has one of the largest networks of paved bike trails in the country. It's a good way for us to blow that dough. : )

I bought a set of 12 amp hour batteries for my Ego 2 stage snow blower. 2 x 12ah will blow a lot of deep snow.

It was $800 for the pair which is a lot. I already had 2 x 7.5ah, so more than doubled my snow capacity. Pre-buying gas for the next 5 years (I hope).

We have needed it as it has been very snowy and very cold.

Not a very fun purchase though.

I bought a set of 12 amp hour batteries for my Ego 2 stage snow blower. 2 x 12ah will blow a lot of deep snow.

It was $800 for the pair which is a lot. I already had 2 x 7.5ah, so more than doubled my snow capacity. Pre-buying gas for the next 5 years (I hope).

We have needed it as it has been very snowy and very cold.

Not a very fun purchase though.
'

That's the snow blower I just bought last week. I just got the 2 X 7.5ah with it though. Didn't even know they offered 12ah, I know they have 10ah. I also have two additional 7.5ah and two 5ah from previous Ego purchases so I will never run out of battery.

I seldom spend money for me, so I really had to think what I bought for me that I really have enjoyed in 2022. 2021 was a different story.

I had to buy a snowblower and found a great deal early spring. Not a huge joy but I needed one.

The prize purchase for 2022 was a flat hat!

Last edited:
For someone trying to figure out how to BTD i'm surprised you didn't buy a wireless mouse. I paid $60 for mine but it's lasted around 10 years so far.

The older I get, the clumsier I get. These days I tend to drop/throw my mouse on the floor a lot, accidently. I get all excited by what I'm reading on the computer, and before I know it, boom!!! It's flying through the air. :rolleyes:

Of course it always rolls as far under the furniture as possible and is really hard to get back since it hurts for me to get down on my knees to get it. So, for me the wire is important as a sort of tether, by which to retrieve my mouse.... almost a necessity. :LOL:

My favorite this year would have to be the beautiful, brand new Yamaha jet ski that I bought for our family lake house. DW and I had lots of fun riding it all over the lake this summer. An expensive indulgence, to be sure, but hoping it gives us many years of carefree pleasure and happy moments. :)

iu

My best purchase was a 4 month old Jack Russell puppy. My 5 year old Jack Russell dog loves her, lots of playing going on these days.

I had to think hard on this one. I guess it would be an LG 65” mini-led tv I purchased a few weeks ago. It’s a great tv for my bright living room.

Back
Top Bottom