Your favorite stock for next decade

I have many favorite stocks. I just counted them. 115 to be exact, but some are ETF and not individual stocks.

I don't expect any single one of them to return 10x the money, thus even the largest position is only 4% of investable assets. I do expect them to give positive return beating the inflation, and hopefully even better than the overall market.

Dunno about the next decade though. That's a long time. A lot can change. I am only looking out a couple of years at a time. Many stocks just collapse overnight. Just last week, Humana dropped 20% in a day when it announced that its Medicare Advantage enrollment was far short of expectation. I was lucky that I sold my shares through a covered call a few weeks ago, and have not bought them back yet via a covered put. Dodge a bullet this time.

I have a little over 100 shares of Nvidia, through my ownership of VTSAX.

I may have more than the above of Nvidia, although I do not have it as an individual stock, nor do I have VTSAX.

Nvidia is a major component in semi and tech ETFs which I do have an overweight on.

I have many favorite stocks. I just counted them. 115 to be exact, but some are ETF and not individual stocks.

I don't expect any single one of them to return 10x the money, thus even the largest position is only 4% of investable assets. I do expect them to give positive return beating the inflation, and hopefully even better than the overall market.

Dunno about the next decade though. That's a long time. A lot can change. I am only looking out a couple of years at a time. Many stocks just collapse overnight. Just last week, Humana dropped 20% in a day when it announced that its Medicare Advantage enrollment was far short of expectation. I was lucky that I sold my shares through a covered call a few weeks ago, and have not bought them back yet via a covered put. Dodge a bullet this time.

My insurance man, and a personal friend of mine, who sells Humana, said the reason the huge loss in sales of the MA product was due to competition......:LOL:

I have a little over 100 shares of Nvidia, through my ownership of VTSAX.

You're right. I have VTSAX as well so would already have Nvidia through the fund, although I wouldn't mind taking a more concentrated position to take advantage of Nvidia's growth prospects. OTOH, I'm a lousy stock picker so who knows.

SCHG is like VUG and is a sector bet

Sometimes I think of pairs of stocks, one as an anchor, the other as wind in the sails.

Anchors for me are companies like CSCO, VZ, ABBV, MDT, PKG, SO, DUK.

W-I-S picks are what I'm saying in other posts. Going forward I'll probably stick with just an index like SCHG to keep things simple.

SCHG is like VUG and is a sector bet on tech large cap, and it could return to mean - look how much higher than SPY its performed in last few years, that's a recipe for a big correction at some point, I'd say VTI or VOO makes more sense as an index....

I'm culling individual dividend stocks currently, and will hold onto BX Blackstone.

For BX the attraction is what it does in PE. Just want a bit more exposure to that.

If I can remember, I'll start a position in Blackrock (BLK) during the next serious downturn, and add to BX. Maybe some Schwab?

SCHG is like VUG and is a sector bet on tech large cap, and it could return to mean - look how much higher than SPY its performed in last few years, that's a recipe for a big correction at some point, I'd say VTI or VOO makes more sense as an index....
Yes, of course there will be reversion to the mean. It's happening now with SCHG, VUG, etc.

To better define SCHG I start with a look at the holdings page:
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SCHG/holdings?p=SCHG

Tech sector is covered, yes, so are others. Let's see what the fund says.
Fund Summary
To pursue its goal, the fund generally invests in stocks that are included in the Dow Jones U.S. Large-Cap Growth Total Stock Market Index. The index includes the large-cap growth portion of the Dow Jones U.S. Total Stock Market Index actually available to investors in the marketplace. The Dow Jones U.S. Large-Cap Growth Total Stock Market Index includes the components ranked 1-750 by full market capitalization and that are classified as "growth" based on a number of factors.

So, it indexes the growth component of TSM. In a period like today tech sector is out-sized. But since it is an index, those tech guys will lose standing, or not, and the index goes on.

You may have missed other post(s) where I mention my core holding in taxable as SCHD. I'm trimming inherited and gifted stock holdings and consolidating to SCHD. And I am still an 85% indexer overall (VTSAX, etc.), and exploring other things I find interesting.

Thank you for your comments. Much appreciated.

VUG and SCHG

Correct. So why not wait for it to come back down to earth a little bit is all I'm saying, gains right now magnified and losses will be magnified and on way down......I personally LOVE what VUG/SCHG have done in last few years, literally paying to send my kids to college, but have to be balanced/sober, thats all.

Next correction - buying NTSX

I'd look at NTSX for growth in next correction in addition to healthy portion of VUG or SCHG or VTI for stability.

Correct. So why not wait for it to come back down to earth a little bit is all I'm saying, gains right now magnified and losses will be magnified and on way down......I personally LOVE what VUG/SCHG have done in last few years, literally paying to send my kids to college, but have to be balanced/sober, thats all.
My shelf life.
My kids are over 30.
We're all different.
:flowers:

No favorite stock, but do have one line of technology where I want to look into potential investments.

I've read discussions of factory-grown meat/protein products, and how they could come to dominate over raised and slaughtered animals.

DNA is into bioengineering

Cathy Wood owns a bunch of Gingko Bioworks (symbol DNA) in her ARKK....I bought some and it went down a lot so far.....its the new future tech, but we'll see about the revs and monetization....

With next decade time horizon I’d go with TSLA..I wasn’t a believer at first thinking that legacy auto manufacturers would crush TSLA but now I don’t think it’s that simple. Because if it is then they’d have done it. So TSLA because by 2030 prob more than half of all cars will be BEV instead of ICE and maybe a little bit of F to hedge the risks.

With next decade time horizon I’d go with TSLA..I wasn’t a believer at first thinking that legacy auto manufacturers would crush TSLA but now I don’t think it’s that simple. Because if it is then they’d have done it. So TSLA because by 2030 prob more than half of all cars will be BEV instead of ICE and maybe a little bit of F to hedge the risks.

+1 TSLA; it's the future. Other EV companies will also do well and happy for them too. Buy the top choice.

Last edited:
My is NVDA.

I don't watch Jim Cramer, but as a high tech engineer with pretty good understanding what Nvidia does I see huge money machine here in AI, Computer Vision, Metawerse, Autonomous Vehicles, Robotics, Cloud, Deep Learning etc.

Nvidia's growth is still in early stages. It is no longer just a graphics card/semiconductor company.

My neighbor has been a pretty senior guy at NVDA for nearly 30 years. Needless to say, he’s done very well. He must like what he does because he certainly doesn’t need more money.

SIS:FX a Canadian stock.
Savaria is a global leader in accessibility. We manufacture products that help people maintain their personal mobility - whether that's in the home, in a public space or in a vehicle. This is a play on aging world population and has done me well. A low volatility stock in my opinion/experience.

GOOGL a cash machine that has a huge market share ands amazing cash flow.

BRK.B Warren Buffett, what more can be said. Even after him and Charlie pass I am sure the management to have to carry on will be great.

COST Costco is an amazing company, while it is expensive currently I would load up on this in a 20+% fall from current value.

just mt take and I own all of um

Back
Top Bottom