Your "Go To" Retirement Websites

August West

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hi all,

Since I'm planning of retiring next year I would like to spend the next year or so educating myself on all things about retirement. Of course FIRE is currently my #1 site for information and I've learned a lot here but I would like to expand my resources to be more comprehensive.

So what are your favorite websites, forums etc. for news, information, articles, strategies and so forth concerning retirement? I'm interested in most aspects like gov't policies (SS, Medicare ...), health, finance/investing, lifestyle/living, hobbies etc.

I enjoy Mr. Money Mustache, though his website is much more about a stoic/frugal lifestyle than about retirement per se. There's a substantial amount of in-your-face attitude and a not insignificant amount of profanity on the site as well, but I find it worth it.

jcollinsnh is a great resource for me to cover the essentials.

This forum is pretty much all I really goto for new developments though.

Bogleheads I can imagine is useful too. A bit too strict & dogmatic for my taste.

After a lot of looking, I found that this forum plus boggle head wiki pages are essentially my go to resources. I read other things out of interest but find they don't offer the volume and quality of info from these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This forum is my number 1 resource. Other's have mentioned Mr. Money Moustache and Bogleheads as well. There are also, of course, Wade Pfau and Michael Kitce's websites, not to mention Morningstar - especially Christine Benz's columns. The good news, though, is when something interesting gets posted on the other sites, somebody from this forum will tend to post a link to it!

Every time I see "go to" used as an adjective, I think of the way the phrase "go to" was used in Shakespeare's day. It basically meant, "Ah, get out of here!" or "Baloney!" :LOL:

Reactions: W2R
-Budgetbytes.com for cheap and nice recipes.

-reddit.com/r/frugal and reddit.com/r/financialindependence

-MrMoneyMustache.com and its forum because of the sound advice and I fit in with the smartasses.

-EarlyRetirementExtreme because I like the minimalism presented.

-TheGardenWeb forums for gardening and home repair

-Fixitnow for appliance repair with the Samurai Appliance Repair Man

-CleanMPG.com to learn to get the most mileage out of my car.

Those are kind of my go-to sites for being frugal, which keeps me from going broke so that I can have whatever hobbies I like. It's easy enough to find cheap ways of doing whatever. Budget traveling, budget motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, kayaking, sailing, exercise, playing instruments, knife making, pie eating contesting, competitive pottery glazing, whatever; there's a LBYMs way of doing everything that can be done at any point in life, retired or not.

Your screen name brought a flood of memories back. Thanks, there are some really good ones in there!

I used to spend a fair amount of time here. Good ol' gummy stuff. Another blast from the past.

So what are your favorite websites, forums etc. for news, information, articles, strategies and so forth concerning retirement? I'm interested in most aspects like gov't policies (SS, Medicare ...), health, finance/investing, lifestyle/living, hobbies etc.
There are other retirement websites?

Sure, there are "scrimp, save and live in a cardboard box under the freeway" sites, but with the exception of the bogleheads site for investing, nothing compares to E-R.Org when it comes to the topics you say you are interested in.

-Budgetbytes.com for cheap and nice recipes.

-reddit.com/r/frugal and reddit.com/r/financialindependence

-MrMoneyMustache.com and its forum because of the sound advice and I fit in with the smartasses.

-EarlyRetirementExtreme because I like the minimalism presented.

-TheGardenWeb forums for gardening and home repair

-Fixitnow for appliance repair with the Samurai Appliance Repair Man

-CleanMPG.com to learn to get the most mileage out of my car.

Those are kind of my go-to sites for being frugal, which keeps me from going broke so that I can have whatever hobbies I like. It's easy enough to find cheap ways of doing whatever. Budget traveling, budget motorcycling, shooting, hunting, fishing, kayaking, sailing, exercise, playing instruments, knife making, pie eating contesting, competitive pottery glazing, whatever; there's a LBYMs way of doing everything that can be done at any point in life, retired or not.

NO!!!! I didn't realize there was a Reddit for this subject (probably should have known though!). I already spend too much time on that stupid website!!!

This one, sometimes AARP, and the .gov sites for specific questions I have had re Medicare and Social Security. I don't follow blogs where the owner posts some words of wisdom and then people (usually bloggers) post comments, but they seem to be popular (I love e-r.org because the content is people (helping/entertaining/arguing with/annoying :)) each other).

I have an online subscription to our local daily newspaper and some of the personal finance columns have links to helpful sites.

jlcollinsnh - planning, instilling confidence, always challenges my thinking (e.g., rent vs. own), perspective of someone who has been there/ done that; visit whenever he updates

e-r.org - like minded individuals,all stages of planning and retirement, check it every day

mr. money mustache - interesting to read a younger perspective, and always colorful but generally not consistent with the lifestyle I want and am willing to work for. Visit once or twice a month.

bogleheads - good info, can be dogmatic. Visit once or twice a month.

Last edited:
Do you want retirement information or frugal living information?? The problem I have with many extreme frugality forums is that if you don't subscribe to their entire way of thinking, you will be told how YOU are the reason why this country is in the shape it's in. lol

For Example I am not a budget traveler, I can't even begin to tell you the virtual beat down I got on a popular budget site when I said, yes I will drop 700 a night on a hotel room. whew you would have thought I said I short sheeted the pope!!

anyhoo, I like this forum. I can ask the dumbest retirement question and people kindly and nicely answer my question.

I like bogleheads wiki for definitions, although at times I still need to come here for clarification

Thanks all. Lots of good suggestions I will check out. The vast majority of which I am not familiar with so I look forward to exploring those.

Do you want retirement information or frugal living information??

I was looking more for general retirement info. on a broad range of topics. While I'm not opposed to being frugal, I'm already a big enough miser in day to day life without any further encouragement :D

There are other retirement websites?

Sure, there are "scrimp, save and live in a cardboard box under the freeway" sites, but with the exception of the bogleheads site for investing, nothing compares to E-R.Org when it comes to the topics you say you are interested in.

Yep. It's hard yes hard to be humble - when your are right!

heh heh heh - I too like this one best - ever since Dory36's article '33% That's My Story' convinced me to join. :D :cool:

As for websites, other than this forum, I credit FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator (financial retirement planning tool) with my early exit from the rat race.

Aside from the importance of the calculations (odds that a given eggs nest would have survived a given period of history), reading the instructions and understanding the various software inputs are educational in themselves.

Yep. It's hard yes hard to be humble - when your are right!

heh heh heh - I too like this one best - ever since Dory36's article '33% That's My Story' convinced me to join. :D :cool:

You made me look, Uncle Mick. Still applicable today.
http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/33-thats-my-story-13934.html

The best post, definitely still applicable today:
I think we've posted enough on paying off the mortgage, do a search.

OP, here are two blogs to check out. Short and to-the-point postings on a variety of topics, and both have a weekly posting of links to interesting articles on sites I might never have found otherwise.
The Finance Buff
Oblivious Investor ? Low-Maintenance Investing with Index Funds and ETFs

Has anyone come across a way to browse the bogelhead forums with ease on an iPhone? The format is awful for me to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's in your comfort zone, i strongly recommend taking some economics and finance courses at the college level. I've been doing so the last 18 months through Harvard's online school and it has been very valuable to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom