Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Creative skill related

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Relationship related

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Other

Votes: 17 29.3%

• Total voters
I never make NY resolutions, however I have decided that I am going to learn to surf in 2008. I've never tried it before, but what the hell, why not give it a go. What attracts me to surfing is surfers seem to be such a satisfied, happy bunch.

It's too cold to go in the ocean here in Southern Ca. so I have the first trip to Hawaii booked for President's Day weekend.

DW and I both turn 65 this year.

My New Year's resolution is to turn 66 in the same healthy condition as now, financially, physically, and mentally.

Life is good. Happy New Year to everyone!

No real resolutions, but I stopped eating 1.75 quarts/week of ice cream a few weeks ago and maybe we'll see the results in a few months. (Or maybe I'll pick up the slack elsewhere.) At least my triggers are no longer stress, beer, chocolate, and ice cream-- but rather the smells of good food along with friends & good conversation.

Tae kwon do black belt test in Jan 2009. Qualifications require 100 situps in two minutes, 100 pushups in two minutes, and a two-mile run in around 15-16 minutes (not sure). Our kid's going through the process for her own test (in about four weeks) so I know what I have to do.

It'd be good to realign my life to finish the book in 2008, but life keeps intruding. My fault, and this is more about learning to set priorities than about fixing anything.

I've spent five years surfing pretty much the same south break. That's not a problem and it's never boring, but it'd be good to have a west break and a north break too as conditions & seasons change. I have a few candidates to check out, but that would take away time from surfing the south break. Apparently it's not such an issue after all.

To be more organized, to the point where many things are automatic or take little effort to maintain.

To not get sucked into reading / responding to political threads.

That ignore feature really helps.

:rant: I can't hear you..............

I'm going to try things I've always wanted to do .I'm starting with pottery ... and yoga. ...

Uh oh, pottery and yoga were on my "try out" list for '07. Neither one ended well.

I decided to take a pottery class to prove to myself that my disasterous previous try (in college some 30+ years ago) was due to youth (me) and poor training (the teacher). This time, I signed up with a noted local potter (first mistake...her definition of "some past experience" was waaayy different than mine.) I quickly discovered that having the beginning signs of osteoarthritis in my fingers, especially my thumb, is not particularly compatible with working with cold, wet clay.

OK, remind self to take Tylenol Arthritis Formula before class.

Next, that pottery wheel was a lot more glamorous when Demi Moore was forming pots in Ghost. No matter how careful I was, I couldn't get the clay centered on the wheel and I ended up wearing a lot more of the clay than anyone else in the class...and let me tell you, cold water washing doesn't do such a good job getting clay out. Note: tan/khaki pants and shirts are about the same color as clay...if you don't mind looking like a municipal meter reader who fell in the mud, you're all set.

Finally got the #$%? clay centered on the stupid wheel...my aching fingers tried to form the clay into a simple pot. Here's the hard part: you gotta keep the wheel turning, the clay centered and wet and now you have to move your fingers evenly up the sides to form the walls of the pot. FWIW, don't stare at the wheel...you can get really dizzy watching this lump of crap go round and round. Lost my concentration...the wall of the pot separated from the base, flew off the wheel and landed at the feet of the noted local potter who subsequently suggested that perhaps I would be better suited for slab work. For the record, I wasn't.

Next stop, yoga. This worked out better, but the aforementioned arthritis is also in the back and hips. The instructor was very kind in helping me with "alternate" poses and movements, but I think my main mistake was in taking the class right after dinner. Yoga plus acid reflux? Well, it's just not a pretty picture.

'08 resolutions? Find other creative outlets more suitable for a middle age woman with arthritis and GURD.

Do more fishing ...

20080105-kf6ar78fqdc992eqibs5aa1tdj.jpg

Last edited:
Well if you own any stocks, you have lost money. Mine was not to lose money. Oh well, mine should have been to lose 5lbs. That would have been more realistic. :-\

Don't sell them, and don't look at the market reports. Then you haven't lost anything! :2funny:

Besides, you know how that goes. Your investments could be back up to where they were in a few weeks.

Uh oh, pottery and yoga were on my "try out" list for '07. Neither one ended well.

I decided to take a pottery class to prove to myself that my disasterous previous try (in college some 30+ years ago) was due to youth (me) and poor training (the teacher). This time, I signed up with a noted local potter (first mistake...her definition of "some past experience" was waaayy different than mine.) I quickly discovered that having the beginning signs of osteoarthritis in my fingers, especially my thumb, is not particularly compatible with working with cold, wet clay.

OK, remind self to take Tylenol Arthritis Formula before class.

Next, that pottery wheel was a lot more glamorous when Demi Moore was forming pots in Ghost. No matter how careful I was, I couldn't get the clay centered on the wheel and I ended up wearing a lot more of the clay than anyone else in the class...and let me tell you, cold water washing doesn't do such a good job getting clay out. Note: tan/khaki pants and shirts are about the same color as clay...if you don't mind looking like a municipal meter reader who fell in the mud, you're all set.

Finally got the #$%? clay centered on the stupid wheel...my aching fingers tried to form the clay into a simple pot. Here's the hard part: you gotta keep the wheel turning, the clay centered and wet and now you have to move your fingers evenly up the sides to form the walls of the pot. FWIW, don't stare at the wheel...you can get really dizzy watching this lump of crap go round and round. Lost my concentration...the wall of the pot separated from the base, flew off the wheel and landed at the feet of the noted local potter who subsequently suggested that perhaps I would be better suited for slab work. For the record, I wasn't.

Next stop, yoga. This worked out better, but the aforementioned arthritis is also in the back and hips. The instructor was very kind in helping me with "alternate" poses and movements, but I think my main mistake was in taking the class right after dinner. Yoga plus acid reflux? Well, it's just not a pretty picture.

'08 resolutions? Find other creative outlets more suitable for a middle age woman with arthritis and GURD.

Thanks for a good laugh this morning .Maybe I'll start with beading .

1. go to bed by 11 (batting 0/365 so far);
2. buy less food and use it us before it spoils;
3. finally asset allocate the sum of cash sitting around;
4. get hair cut regularly and maybe start wearing make-up

Live A Life That Matters

Back
Top Bottom