Your yacht is bigger than mine!

The bend of the masts seemed elegant and the best feature. Otherwise, it really did look like the yacht owned by a Bond film evil villain. Very militaristic and angular. Almost threatening.
+1/.For the common man the yacht may look strange. Not surprised if the entire super yacht is bulletproof and with a missile defense system. Sailing by Africa and Asia one may encounter pirates. These billionaires who are very intelligent have security teams that rival POTUS or other heads of state. These oligarchs after the fall of the Soviet Union saw opportunity and grabbed it. A custom built super yacht is a reward of their achievements. These guys have real estate throughout the world ( NYC, Miami etc) buy and own sports teams, other companies and also having relationships with world leaders.

Think of how much good he could have done for his fellow countrymen with the price of that monstrosity....and probably gotten more mental satisfaction out of it.

Think of how much good he could have done for his fellow countrymen with the price of that monstrosity....and probably gotten more mental satisfaction out of it.

I agree with the part about doing much good for his countrymen. I doubt he feels he would have gotten any satisfaction from giving to others since his choice was to build the yacht.

Wow, it may be expensive, but it sure is ugly! Guess money doesn't buy taste.

exactly my thought.

I saw a show a few years ago about yachts, and costs, and a yacht builder was discussing the costs of owning a yacht. He said that with boats, of just about all sizes, you could figure that whatever it cost new, it would cost about 10% of that per year to maintain. So when you hear Tiger Woods has an 80 million dollar yacht, figure it costs him about 8 million per year to maintain it.

I did the math with my 18' 4Winns runabout, and my 18' fishing boat, and sure enough, it comes out to darn close to 10%.

I'll bet he got a lot of "mental satisfaction" out of building his yacht too. :cool:

Although, I have to agree that by "our" standards, it's not very attractive. I'll bet it's very nice inside though.

Okay, his boat is by any measure nicer than the boat I was on, the Royal Princess. But, the modern world has done a great job of bringing "luxury" to the middle class. The boat I was on cost more than his boat. I am sure his has great interior features, but so does the Royal. We had prime rib, lobster and great wines. His chef can fix the same. RobbieB's wagu aside, the billionaire's yacht food is only marginally better than ours and I am certain we had a much larger daily selection. And, here is the shocker, two of us cruised a week for about $1,600. And, apparently we went to some of the same ports. IOW, he is not getting a lot of incremental value for his $400M cost. Its a great time in history to be part of the middle class.

Last edited:
Live fast, die young

I think you get 5% back on the "Special Oligarch Costco Card"! It is a limited edition card with only 20 living card holders, make that 19, no 18.

I wonder what the distribution of life expectancy looks like for Russian Oligarchs? I'd wager it is non-Gaussian, with the median at 35 but dropping off sharply before skewing out to whatever Putin's age is.

I have a buddy who has a ship captain's license I ski with. He gets a call to pilot a boat some place in the world and off he goes. He's got a lot of good stories about what he's seen in those trips!

If I were him, I'd be asking myself, "$180,000 to fill up my sailboat? Sails? That was a nice design touch. WTF was I thinking?"

Here’s a picture of the sailboat owners power yacht. 119 meters (390 feet) IMG_0547.JPG

.........These guys have real estate throughout the world ( NYC, Miami etc) buy and own sports teams, other companies and also having relationships with world leaders.
Yes, that is how the money is laundered.

As the OP noted, this yacht is only 2.6% of the guy's net worth. On that scale, his "dough blowing" is not that excessive compared to some of us, and look how we badmouth him about waste and poor taste, and all that.

Do billionaires not have the right to spend, like we peons do? :)

As the OP noted, this yacht is only 2.6% of the guy's net worth. On that scale, his "dough blowing" is not that excessive compared to some of us, and look how we badmouth him about waste and poor taste, and all that.

Do billionaires not have the right to spend, like we peons do? :)

I sold my boat last year. If I get another one, it will be +3% of our NW! Still negotiating with the DW. Do Billionaires have to negotiate with their spouses?:)

We were on the Regal Princess last week. We docked at Sint Maarten and Sailing Yacht A docked next to us. It is listed as the largest sail assisted yacht in the world. It is owned by a Russian Billionaire. It is over 460 ft. long and the estimated cost is north of $400M. It has a crew of 54. For comparison, the Regal Princess was estimated to cost about $750M. You can get an idea of the size if you note the very small tractor trailer tanker truck in the lower right corner of the photo. We saw five tankers of diesel fuel delivered. We went into town and could have missed some. It was pretty impressive and the talk of "our soon to be" completely inadequate ship.
So does the Russian go ahead and ship diesel tankers ahead of his port call to ensure he has enough. [emoji1]

Yes, that is how the money is laundered.
And these super yachts owned by USA billionaires or foreign billionaires know the big tax loophole. Register the boat in the Cayman Islands instead of in the USA for example to avoid paying US taxes and being required to hire a USA crew. Register the boat in the Caymans and hire foreign workers to work on the boat to do the hard work. Cruise ships ring a bell?

Well, he has the money for it...he's not going into debt to buy it, I see nothing wrong with that purchase. Haters gonna hate.

Of course as Carlin observed, anyone driving slower than you is an obstacle and any driving faster is a maniac.

Same with money.

Best two days of owning a boat...the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.

Well, he has the money for it...he's not going into debt to buy it, I see nothing wrong with that purchase. Haters gonna hate.
I don't think it is about hate, it is about accountability. Russia is basically a mafia organization masquerading as a state. Thugs are picking the carcass bare.

Back
Top Bottom