34, 4 years into career

relatively frugal

Confused about dryer sheets
Hey there, total newb. Got a relatively late start on things because of graduate school. Married, 1 kid (might have another).

Making about a half mill a year between us - I work 60 hours a week or so in a high stress job that's slowly killing me.

Putting away about 175, spending 150, the rest goes to the guvmint. Portfolio is about 550. Probably about 8 years away from FI (assuming a reasonable rate of pay increase and a 7.5% return on my portfolio).

The bigger goal I have is to leave some money for my kid(s). 50 years old or 10 mill or a stroke (whichever first).

Hope to pick up some great tips from you guys.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

Hmmm, I bet your chlid/children would rather have a Dad and Granddad to share life with than the money ... 60 hours a week in a stressful job probably leaves very little left to give a spouse and toddler. Perhaps you can find something not so stressful that would allow you to be there for them ....
I know in my own situation I gave up the stress of management and a 25-50% pay raise and remain satisfied with a salary that is sub $100k but allows me to be there at all my families life experiences in a meaningful engaged way.

Retiring a few years later to a life full of relationships that were nurtured and invested in along the years when needed will be much more rewarding than leaving a career at 50 that took the wind out of your sails and left you with a bigger bank account.

Retiring a few years later to a life full of relationships that were nurtured and invested in along the years when needed will be much more rewarding than leaving a career at 50 that took the wind out of your sails and left you with a bigger bank account.

First, welcome to the forum. I think there is a lot of wisdom in the quote here. Your health and your family time are something that you can't afford to lose.

Back
Top Bottom