Family of 4 moving into Tiny House on wheels

Only a 5 year active duty commitment unless you choose something that requires a lot of additional, expensive training like pilot.

One of my kids went to the above and chose pilot so they'll likely go career but nearly everyone else I've met from the above did just their required 5 years and then separated for civilian life.

I was a nuke submariner; it was a long and hard five years. And USNA itself is no picnic. The point is this - if you want to go in the Navy and do some pretty cool things, then go right ahead, but if the tuition-free college is the main draw, it will be difficult.

We probably won’t do any significant building until we have our own property, but that might be right next to this one, for now just need essentials.

We have been living on our property in 225 SqFt 5th wheel several years now. We bought a Repossessed Potable Garage 12X32 delivered and set up for $6500. Also a used 20 Ft Enclosed trailer for storage. We Initially wanted to build a shop that would fit the camper, but managed to buy the house nextdoor and restoring it. The main reason behind our choice is that we can easily move both (already moved the trailer) or sell them and get most, if not all our money back.

The 10X16 deck from the house had broken away from the house, but was intact. We have moved it twice using it as a deck next to the camper, covered with the awning for some outside cooking space. Once the house is done, it will again get moved and used someplace here.

Last edited:
We have been living on our property in 225 SqFt 5th wheel several years now. We bought a Repossessed Potable Garage 12X32 delivered and set up for $6500. Also a used 20 Ft Enclosed trailer for storage. We Initially wanted to build a shop that would fit the camper, but managed to buy the house nextdoor and restoring it. The main reason behind our choice is that we can easily move both (already moved the trailer) or sell them and get most, if not all our money back.

The 10X16 deck from the house had broken away from the house, but was intact. We have moved it twice using it as a deck next to the camper, covered with the awning for some outside cooking space. Once the house is done, it will again get moved and used someplace here.

Fantastic, and congrats on your success. Nice work picking up the house next-door, hope that all goes well. Do you have any kids living in the fifth wheel? Do you plan to live in the house once it’s restored?

A couple people mentioned pole barns which are good ideas. If it was me, rather than a tiny house on wheels I'd buy a basic garage package and then build out the inside.

If you end up keeping your parent's property it can still be used as a garage, a workshop, a guest house, or as a future home for older kids. And instead of 140 sq. ft. tiny home, a double garage (24 x 24) is 576 sq ft. Even a small single garage (12 x 20) is 240 sq ft.

The main reason we went with a tiny house on wheels is that we don’t know where we want to end up long term and we may get our own property someday. We can stay here a long time it seems, and there’s are already infrastructure here, so we don’t feel like we want to invest more in this place, except to maintain it and grow the garden. Who knows, we get back up and moved to another state, and we wanted a place to live wherever we go. We like the flexibility that we have right now, and there are many ways to skin this cat, so we’ll see how it goes.

The pole barn / shop route could be great a option if we end up getting our own piece of land and need quick infrastructure and additional dwelling.

Haven't read all the posts but eco-friendly Tiny Home...

e.g. solar panels and whatever else is needed... think getting water from earth. There are ways to determine how far down water is where you live bc there is water below you, depends how far down it is.

We will be on solar drawn well water (drilled well, some of the best water in the world), and our tiny is outfitted for solar when we have the desire / money to invest in a full system. Our environmental footprint and impact is going down significantly from living in a big house in the suburbs, not to mention no more big natural gas and electrical bills! We have a outhouse near the shop that is used when we are out in the garden, and we have a flushing toilet in tiny hooked up to the septic (we looked into composting toilet, but with access to a nice septic system, flushing is ideal since water is abundant and my wife is happy lol)

I wasn't going to comment until I read all the tiny house concerns. Having grown up in a small house, I still think fondly of my contribution as a child. One example, was simply the need to get out of my kitchen chair to make room for opening the fridge door. Or having an approach to share our one bathroom among the 4 then 5 of us. It built teamwork and sometimes humor.

I think you will be building positive experiences for your kids. And even as you age, it will not be a problem as my wife and I had a 2 year experience in our 50s of living in 400 square feet. An adjustment from 2500 sq ft home but no problem.

Thanks for your input, and we have the same mindset. It’s about the memories and experience, and there’s no substitute for learning to share and compromise. We want our children to always have the assurance that they can be flexible and thrive in all sorts of conditions. It’s just a season, we will have another place someday as the Lord wills.

If either of your kids are interested in what, IMO, is a great financial move and going to a military university, e.g. USNA, USAFA, etc..., they'll get a great "FREE" education and an excellent career path with a pension after 20 years (+/-40 years old).

Mom and Dad need to be ok with it too. Again, kid(s) need to want to do it.

Would never judge anyone else and what they choose do. For my wife and I, we both hope our kids never join the military, or even work for the govt for that matter. Even College/university is becoming even less relevant. Corporate cultures are becoming increasingly toxic, I experience it every day and have a great pulse on the marketplace. I am one of the few who went to college and got a job, and I have way less money and freedom than everyone else in my family. Our family has a long legacy of building businesses and owning real estate without any “formal” education. There’s plenty of money to be made without having to deal with the strings attached with pensions, etc.

As best we can, we are raising innovators and owners, not rule followers or box checkers, so we will see what they choose to do, but they are smart and have a lot of support, so opportunities are almost endless. There’s no substitute for making them own whatever they want to do, it won’t be handed to them.

Last edited:
Fantastic, and congrats on your success. Nice work picking up the house next-door, hope that all goes well. Do you have any kids living in the fifth wheel? Do you plan to live in the house once it’s restored?
Thanks, its slowly progressing. And yes this will be our retirement home. Making it wheelchair friendly just in case.
Our kids are grown, but have a 11 YO grandson that spends some time here. It gets crowded then.

Back
Top Bottom