35 and going backwards

35nothing

Dryer sheet wannabe
Debt of 17k. Saving+Asset around 8k. My problem is not money problem, I just dont do anything. Cannot focus on anything for more then few mins. Luck or whatever I dont know, its all been good so far. Always got good decent paying jobs(25-30 per hour) so never really needed money for bigger things. Now slowly when you start aging, you realize its not going to be easier going forward.

The biggest problem is I am intelligent enough to know its a big problem, but do nothing to tackle it.

I joined this forum not to retire soon, but to start working and start a career.

Well, the job market is extremely good right now - look for opportunities to earn more. Maybe a higher paying job, or a part-time mindless second job.

Get some help for your ADD.

Welcome to the forum.

I agree that you should consider either mental health, or medical health assistance. It might improve your quality of life. I'm not saying to go on meds... I'm saying talk to a doctor or therapist about what might help with your inattentiveness.

Since you make a decent income.. does your employer offer any retirement plans like a 401k? If so, start payroll deduction savings into it. Even if they don't - do you have auto deposit... you can have some of your pay deposited in a savings or brokerage account automatically - this will automate your savings so you won't need to pay attention to it.

No 401k yet from my employer . I just opened a Roth IRA and a 529 college account.. Just opened. No plans on how to fund them yet.

Are we allowed to open a 401K privately?? Also I am not an American citizen.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

An deductible IRA is a form of private 401k... amounts saved for retirement are not taxed.

Is your "but" bigger than your "why"?

What is your goal?

My goal is to retire at 55 or younger and sail around the world. I think of this every time I want to purchase something.

Also you need to get on a budget. Tell your money where to go and stick to it. You will feel like you got a raise.

To get started you should set a goal, do a budget, and then do everything you can to reach this goal. Then set a larger one.

Back
Top Bottom