35 And Jinxing My FIRE With This Post

z-d-g

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm a 35 year old small (medium?) business owner in NYC. When I was 28, I started a consulting firm that expanded twice and became a national leader in our tiny little industry. Now 35, I'm about 9 days away from being bought out by a group of extremely wealthy investors from the West Coast.

We've gone through 3 1/2 months of diligence, legal, accounting, and underwear sniffing. The buyers know everything there is to possibly know about me and our little ATM machine.

When I was 23, I decided that I was giving myself 15 years to retire. I never actually thought I'd pull it off, 3 years early no less, but I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished; all without screwing people or harming the general public.

I figure by registering here and posting this, I have effectively destroyed our deal and expect the buyer's attorneys to email me any minute to tell me the deal is off and I can expect to go back to w#rk as usual on December 1st (what would have been my first day of retirement).

If not, my wife and daughter and I will be FIRE on Central Park West (in the same apt we've lived in for the last 3 years) in our mid 30s.

I look forward to learning new ideas on being gainfully unemployed at this age and hope to read some great ideas on how best to enjoy my hopefully-soon-to-be lifestyle.

I'm a 35 year old small (medium?) business owner in NYC. When I was 28, I started a consulting firm that expanded twice and became a national leader in our tiny little industry. Now 35, I'm about 9 days away from being bought out by a group of extremely wealthy investors from the West Coast.

We've gone through 3 1/2 months of diligence, legal, accounting, and underwear sniffing. The buyers know everything there is to possibly know about me and our little ATM machine.

When I was 23, I decided that I was giving myself 15 years to retire. I never actually thought I'd pull it off, 3 years early no less, but I'm pretty proud of what we've accomplished; all without screwing people or harming the general public.

I figure by registering here and posting this, I have effectively destroyed our deal and expect the buyer's attorneys to email me any minute to tell me the deal is off and I can expect to go back to w#rk as usual on December 1st (what would have been my first day of retirement).

If not, my wife and daughter and I will be FIRE on Central Park West (in the same apt we've lived in for the last 3 years) in our mid 30s.

I look forward to learning new ideas on being gainfully unemployed at this age and hope to read some great ideas on how best to enjoy my hopefully-soon-to-be lifestyle.
Hi z-d-g. No jinxes here, so don't worry. Good luck selling your business and welcome to the forum.

Welcome z-d-g!

Look forward to hearing more from you.

omni

Congrats. I hope you pull it off. Definitely there are worse places to live. :)

Ha

My crystal ball says your good to go. First ones free.

4 days to go and can't sleep at night. 75% excited, 25% terrified of the phone call/email telling me the deal's off for some reason.

Well, crap. Now we're not closing tomorrow. Been pushed back to Friday at best, possibly next Tuesday.

This sucks. It's like having a lotto ticket but knowing you can't cash it yet.

I have all of my fingers and toes crossed for you!!

Hope all goes smoothly for you. I'm also selling my biz, and a second company just got involved. Making for some interesting times. Make sure you post when it goes through!

I would gladly post one but the buyers have written into the contract that there will be no press of any kind so my clients don't get scared off.

Still impatiently waiting for closing. They're telling me Wednesday at worst, possibly Tuesday now. It's killing me.

I would gladly post one but the buyers have written into the contract that there will be no press of any kind so my clients don't get scared off.
Well, sure, the last thing the new owners want would be well-informed clients.

I hope you made them pay extra for that!

Well, kind of anticlimactic. We did all the signing and the buyers got keys, but because we didn't make the 4pm deadline, the wire transfer forms don't go through until tomorrow morning.

So, I've sold the business and have a receivable that I suppose makes me a Paper Millionaire, but I won't actually get to giggle at the screenshot until tomorrow around 10am.

At least (I hope) the hard part is done.

Well, kind of anticlimactic. We did all the signing and the buyers got keys, but because we didn't make the 4pm deadline, the wire transfer forms don't go through until tomorrow morning.

So, I've sold the business and have a receivable that I suppose makes me a Paper Millionaire, but I won't actually get to giggle at the screenshot until tomorrow around 10am.

At least (I hope) the hard part is done.

Well, are we giggling yet??

If so, congrats!

Back
Top Bottom