43 with four kids under 10

Update: 6 years since my original post, all numbers have essentially doubled. Thoughts from the group?

You should be good. Like Aerides, I don't think you should count the home equity or 529 as assets to be used towards retirement.

Have you run stuff through firecalc? I retired with 2 kids in middle school. But we had the 529s funded and we never expanded our lifestyle. Now they're in college and life is good. It was a great opportunity to be available and 'in their business' during the high school years. Able to vet their friends and have the time and bandwidth to drive them to sporting activities.

Did you follow the "suck it up approach" to the job? I'm sure you can stop working if you want. You could also consider less work or a different job. Isn't it just a personal preference issue at this point?
Yes, I did take the "suck it up approach". It's interesting though that, once I didn't overly stress or obsess over the work (being laser focused on saving and retirement), it became easier to stomach!

Back
Top Bottom