46, wanted to retire at 50, feeling unprepared

Well in theory your purchasing power is never gonna go down with the COLA benefits so I would calculate my NW based on my income divided by 4%. Then you figure out what spouse would get if you pass divided by 4%. Then figure out SS plays into it for her when you hit the DZ for the last time. Of course VA goes away.

Having TFL for healthcare is huge. As for LTC in reality Uncle Sam is gonna cover most of your stuff if not all. And your right service connected doesn’t really get better but time spent taking care of health is time well spent. We put in a small daily LTC policy for CINC house with unlimited time. That way she is protected in theory and we shift some portfolio risk to an insurance pool at a price. Between SBP SS and an investment portfolio she should be in descent shape.

IMO there are some great options to live outside CONUS to give you great late year quality of life if you decide to go that way.
Income/4% is a good base. It does provide me some confidence in planning. My DW keeps talking about just going back to work if/when I hit the DZ for the last time, but I'm going to make sure that's not necessary.

We're still planning to settle down in Malaysia/Thailand/Asia. We miss it quite a bit.

Quick update.
Mostly no change, however, I accepted a position and we're moving to Hawaii.
IF I totally love the w*rk, we may push full retirement for the time it takes to participate in a charter catamaran program or save more for our boat. We'll most likely sell the property in Colorado.

Back
Top Bottom