Anyone else try intermittent fasting to improve health?

Intermittent fasting did nothing for me. Later, I worked with a dietician (paid for by Medicare). I changed to counting macro's using MyFitnessPal as a convenient tool and cut out snacking after supper. My goal was to slowly drop weight while eating protein, fat and carbs in proportions that would likely be appropriate for the rest of my life. That is, no ending a special diet and returning to a more "normal" diet later after some goal was reached.

My dietician believed everyone is different and during our meetings we talked about my results, my problems (like feeling tired in the afternoon for example) and reviewed my eating log. She offered suggestions, pointed out issues with some of my choices and offered general education. And it seems to have worked.

Does MyFitnessPal allow you to enter ingredients and their weight for a recipe, divide by number of servings, and come up with a calorie count for a portion? The old (and most wonderful) Calorie Count website functionality was eliminated by new owners a few years ago, and I've found nothing to equal it. Most calorie counting sites are counting for fast foods, restaurant foods, etc. Calorie Count came back with calories and nutrients and gave you an evaluation for the day based on the type of diet you were following. I miss it!

Like you, I believe in finding one's own way to eating meals that work for us. I have suspended belief in any gurus, books, plans, formulas beyond what makes sense to me.

Does MyFitnessPal allow you to enter ingredients and their weight for a recipe, divide by number of servings, and come up with a calorie count for a portion? The old (and most wonderful) Calorie Count website functionality was eliminated by new owners a few years ago, and I've found nothing to equal it. Most calorie counting sites are counting for fast foods, restaurant foods, etc. Calorie Count came back with calories and nutrients and gave you an evaluation for the day based on the type of diet you were following. I miss it!

Like you, I believe in finding one's own way to eating meals that work for us. I have suspended belief in any gurus, books, plans, formulas beyond what makes sense to me.
Yes MFP allows that.

Intermittent fasting can hardly be called a fad diet. It’s a practice found in virtually all major religions, dating back centuries, if not millennia.

The idea of eating 5-6 meals per day is a fad dating back only 10-20 years. And veganism is a also new fad diet, deficient in several nutrients, especially vitamin B12.

Dietary fat got a bad name in the 50s. It was codified by the US government in 1979 with the food pyramid. How’s that working? We have an epidemic of obesity and type 2 diabetes! I remember doing weight watchers in 1991. Low-fat was all the rage. Substitute sugary fruit purées for fat in baking recipes.
I lost the weight but put it back on and then some.

Funny how our society honors vegans, yet a low carb diet, and intermittent fasting, both which can put type 2 diabetes into remission, is treated with contempt by some.

I did intermittent fasting to lose weight as a teenager. I’m doing it now, along with low carb, for the same reason. Also diabetes prevention, and reducing cardiovascular risk. For years my BP has been borderline high. Except when doing LCHF and IF. Then it is normal. I’m trying to make it into a lifestyle choice.

Two other great podcasts are Diet Doctor podcast by Bret Scher MD, and Low Carb MD. The first one delves deep into biochemistry and cardiovascular biomarkers related to lipid metabolism.

Back
Top Bottom