has anyone tried brazil nuts to lower cholesterol

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I realize this is not the most scientific link and I did not look for any but I was wondering if anyone tried eating a couple of brazil nuts and if it helped your cholesterol.

https://www.silhanmd.com/blog/improve-cholesterol-for-30-days-with-this-tasty-nut

Been on a diet and I'm almost at my goal weight and I am going to have to add calories back to stop losing so I was looking for a food that was not going to be bulky (don't want to get used to overeating) and that I didn't like enough to keep eating it. . . but if this helped my cholesterol so much the better. I figure a few extra calories per day would push me to maintenance. I probably have another 3-4 weeks to hit goal so I have some time to figure it out. It looks like it is not recommended to eat the nuts every day so that won't really help the weight goal. I hate to add anything back since I'm feeling quite good right now but I am not sure how doctor will react if I fall a tad into "underweight BMI" and so was trying to work around it.

I am pretty sure I have never had a brazil nut have no idea if I like them. I'm not a big fan of nuts in general unless they come in the form of peanut butter.

Last edited:
They aren’t the tastiest nut. Also, they are Rich in selenium which to a degree is good, but too much selenium can be toxic. I think they don’t recommend more than 2-3 nuts per day

I also recall selenium may help offset mercury toxicity in fish.

Last edited:
I have one a day for the selenium. Never heard of it for cholesterol.

Poking around a bit it looks like some are saying 4 nuts once a month. . . Hmm.

It is unfortunate things I like never seem to actually be good for me in any way shape or form!

And if it was the selenium I could probably get that in a pill. . .

I take 2 brazil nuts every morning for the selenium. Don't know if they lower cholesterol but my cholesterol runs about 143 mg/dL.

Why? I just take the statin pills my PCP has prescribed.

My cholesterol was borderline high and the physician assistant at my doctor's office suggested I try the supplement Red Yeast Rice. She told me that she had seen it work wonders. I bought Red Yeast Rice capsules at the local CVS and five months later my cholesteral dropped about 30 points. I did not make any other dietary modifications so I must attribute it to the Red Yeast Rice. There is lots on YouTube about it. Niacin will also work but it gives you that burning flush feeling which I can't tolerate.

My cholesterol was borderline high and the physician assistant at my doctor's office suggested I try the supplement Red Yeast Rice. She told me that she had seen it work wonders. I bought Red Yeast Rice capsules at the local CVS and five months later my cholesteral dropped about 30 points. I did not make any other dietary modifications so I must attribute it to the Red Yeast Rice. There is lots on YouTube about it. Niacin will also work but it gives you that burning flush feeling which I can't tolerate.

The active ingredient in Red Yeast Rice is exactly the same chemical as lovastatin, so of course it works.

If you are trying to glide into maintenance - you might increase your protein portion by about an ounce and see how that works.

I have heard that you do have to limit the amount of Brazil nuts to one or two.

(I have not tried Brazil nuts for cholesterol.)

P.S. - if you fall into the tad underweight category, but are otherwise healthy, the doctors tend to look at you as if a Golden Unicorn has wondered into their office. (Obviously they are not thrilled if someone is losing weight due to illness.)

Last edited:
If you are trying to glide into maintenance - you might increase your protein portion by about an ounce and see how that works.

P.S. - if you fall into the tad underweight category, but are otherwise healthy, the doctors tend to look at you as if a Golden Unicorn has wondered into their office. (Obviously they are not thrilled if someone is losing weight due to illness.)

Good to know. I really am feeling good at the moment and don't want to change my present diet but I mean IDK when it would level off if I did not. Guess I will wait and see, couple pounds to goal weight and then. . .

I tried adding some almonds yesterday just to see if I liked them and blah, the answer is no. (I don't really want to add something junky or worse too tempting that I might overeat). But I could bump up the protein serving slightly. That is a good idea. I was mostly thinking nuts cause a lot of calories without a lot of food and also some say almonds are healthy.

Last edited:
Why? I just take the statin pills my PCP has prescribed.

I haven't been recommended to take any statins. I just thought it was kind of interesting and seemed to be something a lot of people knew about.

Exactly why I feel so out of place at the Oncology center. I am not thin enough to belong there (yet).

Brazil nuts are common in mixed nuts which I eat a lot of. I can't say the Brazil nuts are my favorite but I like them. I usually eat the Costco mixed nuts which are mostly cashews, almonds, Brazil nuts and macadamias roughly in that order I think. I don't eat them for the health benefits and they are only an occasional snack (maybe weekly or less) for me so I don't think I get more than 14 Brazil nuts a week.

My long term girlfriend in college was studying to be a pharmacist. She said about half of all pharmaceutical drugs can be obtained from plants at virtually no cost. That was about 35 years ago and there have been a lot of advances in drugs since then but I have always found that claim interesting.

I know a plant in my yard (Angel's Trumpet) is a source for atropine, scopalamine, and I think a few other drugs including belladonna. A few years ago I was cutting some back and a single drop of sweat hit my eye and really stung. Shortly after I showered and noted my vision was very blurred. I looked in the mirror and one pupil was fully dilated while the other was normal. This is usually a sign of severe brain damage but I knew I otherwise felt normal so I immediately figured out I had gotten belladonna in my eye. Belladonna used to be used in Europe to dilate pupils to make women look more attractive (more doe-eyed I guess). The effect lasted several hours.

Brazil nuts are common in mixed nuts which I eat a lot of. I can't say the Brazil nuts are my favorite but I like them. I usually eat the Costco mixed nuts which are mostly cashews, almonds, Brazil nuts and macadamias roughly in that order I think. I don't eat them for the health benefits and they are only an occasional snack (maybe weekly or less) for me so I don't think I get more than 14 Brazil nuts a week.

My long term girlfriend in college was studying to be a pharmacist. She said about half of all pharmaceutical drugs can be obtained from plants at virtually no cost. That was about 35 years ago and there have been a lot of advances in drugs since then but I have always found that claim interesting.

I know a plant in my yard (Angel's Trumpet) is a source for atropine, scopalamine, and I think a few other drugs including belladonna. A few years ago I was cutting some back and a single drop of sweat hit my eye and really stung. Shortly after I showered and noted my vision was very blurred. I looked in the mirror and one pupil was fully dilated while the other was normal. This is usually a sign of severe brain damage but I knew I otherwise felt normal so I immediately figured out I had gotten belladonna in my eye. Belladonna used to be used in Europe to dilate pupils to make women look more attractive (more doe-eyed I guess). The effect lasted several hours.

Makes sense actually that it would be true.

Ugh I got some brazil nuts. Threw them out after 1 nut. . . . LOL. Definitely not for me. Eating 4 is not going to happen even once a month. Glad I only spent $1 to get them at the bulk food bin.

I love the Brazil nuts that are found in the mixed nuts cans. But I bought a bag of Costco Brazil nuts by themselves and they were terrible. Lack of salt or seasoning…I’m not sure. No idea about their possible health benefits.

I love the Brazil nuts that are found in the mixed nuts cans. But I bought a bag of Costco Brazil nuts by themselves and they were terrible. Lack of salt or seasoning…I’m not sure. No idea about their possible health benefits.

Yeah these had no salt. I need to cut the sat fat in my diet if i want my cholesterol lower. I just really don't want to and doctor has not mentioned it. I am just feeling guilty for not improving my eating more even though it is improved via the diet I have been on (3 lbs to go!). Yes, I know no one but me will know I make the last 3 . . .but I will. Cause I don't quit in the middle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom