Burning the candle

HF63

Recycles dryer sheets
:whistle:I have been reading these boards and will like to introduce my self. I originally came to this country from Mexico in the middle eighties and have found the American life style very difficult. I have never adjusted my self and will like to move back to the small town that I came from within the next 5 years. I am very great full for all the things that I have learned and have accomplish over the years in this great country. My wife thinks that I am basically nuts but everyday and every year that goes by I just feel like a slave in this American system. Coming from a small town, I was very naïve and did not understood this system and my first 20 years went by very fast in school and working everyday. I am probably burning the candle from both ends, but I really enjoy my job and really hate the insatiable appetite for more and more results. Been an employee of a large publicly traded company is a real pain where the sun never shines, there is no satisfaction always asking for more. It kind of reminds me of the commercial were the DOG is trying to catch up with his tail. I have a 16 year old son that I need to put through college, and after that I am basically done. My plan is to open a laboratory and teach some science but not just the book stuff but the actual hands on. Two years ago, I thought some 6-13 year old kids how candy gets made and went on a field trip to a factory were candy was made. I did not earned any money from this teaching experience but the great reward was seen the grind on the faces. I hate formal teaching but normally teach using a discussion method where there are no right or wrong answers just possibilities. It is a very peculiar way of teaching where the first question is always how or why.

Sincerely,
Speedy (nick name)

Welcome Speedy. I hope you enjoy your time on this board.

Ha

Hi Speedy, and welcome to the forum!

Do you get to visit your hometown in Mexico very often? Do you have a lot of family still there?

Coach

Welcome Speedy. I too was born in a small town. Took many years to adjust. Never did get to like big cities.

HF63;802045[FONT=Times New Roman said:
I hate formal teaching but normally teach using a discussion method where there are no right or wrong answers just possibilities. It is a very peculiar way of teaching where the first question is always how or why. [/font]

Sincerely,
Speedy (nick name)
Sounds like a version of the Socratic method. Very challenging for a student.

Enjoy the board.

Speedy,

Welcome aboard.

I am not so sure that being from Mexico contributes to your issues with the American life style as much as being from any small town.

I was born in the United States and have had great opportunities for which I am very grateful as well. But, like you, I am looking very forward to the day that I can retire back to a small town leaving the treadmill behind.

Good luck.

Hola amigos,
thanks for the great replies.

You are probabbly correct in regards to my life, it was greatly influence by been raisein in a small town. I like the atmosphere in that you know almost everyone in town.

In regards to my teaching method, students seem to enjoy it more because the teaching process begins with items or things that kids normally like.

I am basically a burro that likes to know how things work and are put together.

Speedy

I just feel like a slave in this American system.

really hate the insatiable appetite for more and more results.

there is no satisfaction always asking for more.

It kind of reminds me of the commercial were the DOG is trying to catch up with his tail.

Speedy-

I was born in this country and raised in a city. Before I retired, I had many of the same issues that you do, and still do to some extent. I know that many of the people on this forum have similar feelings. (It's sort of the point of the forum.) Perhaps it is not so much a small town thing as a personal philosophical choice. In any case, it was a pleasure to read your post. Welcome, amigo.

Welcome, HF63, interesting story. Hola, where did you get that nickname?

The American system I was born into required that parents get their children through high school, or to maturity. Paying college expenses was nice but optional. My dad also worked for a large publicly-traded corporation (in Illinois!) and found it necessary to quit his job when I was a freshman in college. I would rather pay my own way as I did than for dad to stay in an untenable situation.

Here’s a question: Could you retire and move back home now if you forget about paying for college? Could your son get full scholarships? What is it you do enjoy about your job, seems to me 90% of what you say about it is negative.

...I really enjoy my job and really hate the insatiable appetite...Been an employee of a large publicly traded company is a real pain where the sun never shines....

I was raised in a small town by big-city parents. I always felt like a big-city person trying to get out of small town life; and I left as soon as I could. You might be very very happy going back to Mexico (or not) and regret it if you don’t. Take a look at the first section of “Outliers” about the Italians who re-created their village in the U.S.

Amazon.com: Outliers: The Story of Success: Malcolm Gladwell: Books

P.S. I spent a retirement day yesterday visiting a science museum; it was free day and there were busloads of school kids there. I really enjoyed seeing those kids having so much fun. Had a nice dinner out with SO and hey, my PF was up a little yesterday.

This guy was nearby and I got a good look at what is in bloom and oh, the ducks.

Attachments

• IMG_4828.jpg
    IMG_4828.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4830.jpg
    IMG_4830.jpg
    510.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4840.jpg
    IMG_4840.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4850.jpg
    IMG_4850.jpg