Exit ramp ahead!

More Cowbell

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi there! :greetings10: I've been reading E-R forums for years but finally registered this year. Since my FRA is 67 (who moved my cheese?), I still qualify for E-R membership.

DH and I are FI (mid 7 digits), no kids, no mortgage, no car loans, no CC debt. Pensions with COLA already coming in for us both, but no health benefits. DH is on Medicare, I have a few years to go, so paying for health insurance. Both delaying SS until 70 (long-lived ancestors). I’ll be affected by WEP and GPO, have my 40 quarters though.

DH retired from Megacorp in 2020 at FRA, straight into teaching 2 classes/year at a local university. I’ve been teaching P/T for 20+ after 15+ years at my prior tech career. For the past 5 years I’ve taught at a local university (not DH’s).

We like teaching, interacting with students keeps us sharp. Plus it's only a 10 minute walk to the trolley station and a 20 minute ride to our campuses. But this year we decided to teach only 1 class/year. Next year, though...?

It’s finally sinking in that we have more than enough assets to last our lifetimes. Time to go places and do things we want to do and enjoy each other's company while we are both relatively healthy. After 40+ years since we first met, we still like each other!

Would love to hear your stories about the best parts of retirement to encourage us! But please, like the song says:

Accentuate the Positive, Eliminate the Negative!

I am now 85 and have been retired for 15 years. My late wife was brain injured and I had to keep w*rking to keep our medical coverage.
I remarried a few years later, and we have been through what someone called the 3 phases of retirement: GoGo, GoSlow, and NoGo.

I wanted to show DW the world, and we made 50 trips in 10 years, We then slowed down until COVID hit, and we have not traveled since.

We each had an 1800 sq ft house, and we sold both, moving into a +55 Mobile Home Park. We lived there for many years, but then had an opportunity to move into an apartment by the beach. Life is good!

Attachments

• view.jpg
    view.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Souschef! How great that you found someone to share your life after retirement and were able to travel extensively. And now enjoying the beach life! Wow, is that your view? Still, keep those passports current, because you might want to try for #51!

We used to travel more, both separately and together. It kind of fell away from us in the 2010s because of other priorities (forever home renovation - it took forever!), but now travel is definitely back to the top of the list.

Yes, that is the view from next to where I am sitting right now. The thing that makes my BIL jealous, since he is a lighthouse enthusiast, is that on a clear night I can see the Anacapa light, which is about 14 miles away.

We have a travel website, so if you PM me, I will send you the link. Here is a sample of one of our trip stories:

Attachments

• NEW ENGLAND FALL FOLIAGE BY RAIL 2012.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 35
It’s finally sinking in that we have more than enough assets to last our lifetimes. Time to go places and do things we want to do and enjoy each other's company while we are both relatively healthy. After 40+ years since we first met, we still like each other!

Would love to hear your stories about the best parts of retirement to encourage us!

+1, but we started maybe 8 years younger. We have visited all 50 states, 51 of the 63 National Parks (so far), and 26 countries. We can do what we want, when we want.

Been retired 6 years now. We are 63/62.
We love each other and are best friends.
Every day is great. We are never bored, even just listening to the thunder and lightning in the summer.
We travel about 5 weeks a year with 3 to 4 trips. I play competitive Pickleball 6x a week, which helps fill the time, while she works out.

Last edited:
Retired almost 7 years ago, enjoying every day. First year of retirement we went on 4 trips, that was a bit much for us. Now we enjoy 1-2 "bigger" trips and several couple day type trips. We have young grandkids and a new puppy, and hobbies to stay busy.
However, a slow restful day is enjoyable too!

Welcome to the forum More Cowbell.

It sounds like you have handled your glidepath perfectly. Whether you decide to teach a class or not next year - you are "golden."

Why don't you and DH plan a nice trip or two in the meantime? Even a short one to dip your toes in the water after a long hiatus . . .

Welcome to the forum. Whether you work (teaching) or not is the beauty of being FI and retired. Retirement allows you to do what you want to, when you want to. Having your resources also allows how to do it. So consider taking those trips.

Lots of stories where something happens, medically or other beyond your immediate control. My suggestion is enjoy retirement now.

I started snowbirding as a big part of my retirement. Nice change of location and new friends. My life in wintertime is way different than at permanent home. That's ok with me, a chance to get a break and do different things. Plus add in some shorter RV trips in spring, summer or fall.

Last edited:
+1, but we started maybe 8 years younger. We have visited all 50 states, 51 of the 63 National Parks (so far), and 26 countries. We can do what we want, when we want.

Hi DrRoy, I have the NPS website bookmarked already. I’ll be applying for my Lifetime Senior Pass as soon as I qualify! (Even though no longer the bargain price that DH’s pass was.)

Been retired 6 years now. We are 63/62.
We love each other and are best friends.
Every day is great. We are never bored, even just listening to the thunder and lightning in the summer.
We travel about 5 weeks a year with 3 to 4 trips. I play competitive Pickleball 6x a week, which helps fill the time, while she works out.

Hi Dtail,

Pickleball has been on my radar for some time now. A retired buddy and I are planning for a beginner lesson once this semester is over. I just hope that pickleball will not aggravate my thumb osteoarthritis.

DH was on his undergrad tennis team. That experience must have soured him on racquet sports, was never interested in playing tennis or racquetball with me or anyone else. But that’s OK, it’s good for a couple to have their own space for their own interests.

What is your wife’s workout? Weights, Pilates, Barre, Crossfit, swimming, running, walking, biking? Or following an online fitness routine?

Welcome to the forum More Cowbell.

It sounds like you have handled your glidepath perfectly. Whether you decide to teach a class or not next year - you are "golden."

Why don't you and DH plan a nice trip or two in the meantime? Even a short one to dip your toes in the water after a long hiatus . . .

Thanks MarieIG! I am always surprised when I find out more of my buddies are retiring, younger ones. I guess it’s because I don’t feel that old, plus the sense of control from being FI. Also, teaching is still fun for me - more like “hard” fun rather than carefree fun. If it wasn’t fun, then I’d be out of there. I suppose that’s why my buddies were beyond ready to retire; they worked in administrative or support positions, so no incentive to stay after they hit their # of years of service for the pension and/or their FI number.

I did go on a quick weekend jaunt to a family wedding with my sister recently, the first flight I’d been on since before COVID. The flight wasn’t that bad (non-stop) but I am motivated to apply for Global Entry to streamline the airport experience. DH has Global Entry already, but still much much much more cautious about being around people in a transportation context. DH also does not want to road trip. Neither of us are cruise people (although I’d consider a smaller one to go to Alaska, the Northwest passage, Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands.

I’ve floated the idea of flying to DC to check out museums, luckily DH is down for that. Also DH wants to go on a walking trip in England and Ireland. So I have been working on increasing my steps in anticipation.

Hi DrRoy, I have the NPS website bookmarked already. I’ll be applying for my Lifetime Senior Pass as soon as I qualify! (Even though no longer the bargain price that DH’s pass was.)

What's your favorite park? I might have a good photo.

Hi Dtail,

Pickleball has been on my radar for some time now. A retired buddy and I are planning for a beginner lesson once this semester is over. I just hope that pickleball will not aggravate my thumb osteoarthritis.

DH was on his undergrad tennis team. That experience must have soured him on racquet sports, was never interested in playing tennis or racquetball with me or anyone else. But that’s OK, it’s good for a couple to have their own space for their own interests.

What is your wife’s workout? Weights, Pilates, Barre, Crossfit, swimming, running, walking, biking? Or following an online fitness routine?

I would think that your thumb should be okay. It will become obvious either way. Yes, give it a shot. Most folks love it once they try it, no matter the level of play.
Her workout includes walking, indoor biking, swimming, weights and lots of stretching exercises. Her routine incorporates some of the PT exercises she has had to do over the years.

Thanks MarieIG! I am always surprised when I find out more of my buddies are retiring, younger ones. I guess it’s because I don’t feel that old, plus the sense of control from being FI. Also, teaching is still fun for me - more like “hard” fun rather than carefree fun. If it wasn’t fun, then I’d be out of there. I suppose that’s why my buddies were beyond ready to retire; they worked in administrative or support positions, so no incentive to stay after they hit their # of years of service for the pension and/or their FI number.

I did go on a quick weekend jaunt to a family wedding with my sister recently, the first flight I’d been on since before COVID. The flight wasn’t that bad (non-stop) but I am motivated to apply for Global Entry to streamline the airport experience. DH has Global Entry already, but still much much much more cautious about being around people in a transportation context. DH also does not want to road trip. Neither of us are cruise people (although I’d consider a smaller one to go to Alaska, the Northwest passage, Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands.

I’ve floated the idea of flying to DC to check out museums, luckily DH is down for that. Also DH wants to go on a walking trip in England and Ireland. So I have been working on increasing my steps in anticipation.

I spent a week in DC in February and it was wonderful. I walked and used the Metro a lot. The Metro is a lot less busy than it was in 2015. Make sure you have good walking shoes/all that stone and cement is really rough on the feet.

The Spy museum is fantastic fun (not free though). One of the best views of the city is the clock tower of the Old Post Office building-the one that Trump converted to a hotel in 2016. The hotel is now a Waldorf Astoria and the clock tower is run by the National Park Service. No crowds, no wait, and the entrance is slightly hidden but right across the street from the Federal Triangle Metro station.

DC is loaded with great restaurants too. Even using the Metro, I put in 15,000 steps per day.

I started retirement the day I found out that I would be getting a package @age

Got the package, negotiated a golden handshake. That was job 1

Got our home ready for sale, downsized, and put what we wanted to keep in an 8x8x16 storage container. That was job 2.

Left town and traveled internationally for 8 months. Then rented a furnished condo for 3 months. That was job 3.

We have never looked back. Traveling and downsizing changed our lifestyle. Less focus on things, much healthier eating habits, no stress, more exercise, etc. It is all good.

I loved my job but it has been in the rear view mirror for the past 12 years. We keep moving forward with our lives.

Welcome to the forum. Whether you work (teaching) or not is the beauty of being FI and retired. Retirement allows you to do what you want to, when you want to. Having your resources also allows how to do it. So consider taking those trips.

Lots of stories where something happens, medically or other beyond your immediate control. My suggestion is enjoy retirement now.

I started snowbirding as a big part of my retirement. Nice change of location and new friends. My life in wintertime is way different than at permanent home. That's ok with me, a chance to get a break and do different things. Plus add in some shorter RV trips in spring, summer or fall.

Thanks 38Chevy454! Agree that FI is a good place to be, but time and health wait for no one. I’m inertial but amenable to RE, while DH is still going strong. In fact, DH was off to campus today to give school and career advice to former students who’ve requested appointments - even though DH isn’t teaching again until next year. He’s into the mentoring aspect. In fact, DH still has former Megacorp folks still asking for advice!

I spent a week in DC in February and it was wonderful. I walked and used the Metro a lot. The Metro is a lot less busy than it was in 2015. Make sure you have good walking shoes/all that stone and cement is really rough on the feet.

The Spy museum is fantastic fun (not free though). One of the best views of the city is the clock tower of the Old Post Office building-the one that Trump converted to a hotel in 2016. The hotel is now a Waldorf Astoria and the clock tower is run by the National Park Service. No crowds, no wait, and the entrance is slightly hidden but right across the street from the Federal Triangle Metro station.

DC is loaded with great restaurants too. Even using the Metro, I put in 15,000 steps per day.

Thanks for the DC travel tips, EastWestGal! I’ve been to DC a couple times, but for events or to visit friends, never primarily to check out museums and monuments. DH went to DC for many Megacorp trips and always made a point to visit the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, plus others. Agree on good walking shoes! I’m into zero drop shoes with a natural shape so toes can spread, an activity-appropriate stack height and sole material, paired with the Treadlabs insoles that work best for my arch. Would consider packing a travel-size percussive therapy device (like Theragun Mini) to aid in recovery after long days on the feet.

I started retirement the day I found out that I would be getting a package @age

Got the package, negotiated a golden handshake. That was job 1

Got our home ready for sale, downsized, and put what we wanted to keep in an 8x8x16 storage container. That was job 2.

Left town and traveled internationally for 8 months. Then rented a furnished condo for 3 months. That was job 3.

We have never looked back. Traveling and downsizing changed our lifestyle. Less focus on things, much healthier eating habits, no stress, more exercise, etc. It is all good.

I loved my job but it has been in the rear view mirror for the past 12 years. We keep moving forward with our lives.

Hi Brett, Different strokes for sure! I’ve been slow to realize that everyone else has retired. DH is so not the type to pull up stakes on a whim, every aspect is considered. Especially with forever home (location, location, location), lived there 20 years before to-the-studs renovation 10 years ago, which was 10 years in the planning and then waiting for the right architect, designer and general contractor to all be available. Then we rented a house maybe a half mile away. We moved 2x in 18 months and got rid of a lot of stuff each time. Stuff has accumulated in the 10 years since, so decluttering is definitely a priority. Sometimes it’s upgrading sheets, but not wanting to “waste” the old ones. Eventually I accept that it’s a sunk cost, and taking up valuable real estate, and then they go to the animal shelter or Goodwill. It’s a mental barrier for me - DH has no problem!

We actually do eat very healthily (water, low salt, steel cut oats, all colors of vegetables, diverse protein sources, plus DH makes ice cream!), are fairly active (I’ve gone to outdoor morning classes for over 10 years and have added personal training, DH walks 15K steps daily, does his physical therapy core exercises and now bikes, trying to get him into workout classes or at least personal training. We also minimize sitting, even though we have ergonomic chairs; invested in standing desks and adjustable monitor arms for our home offices after renovation, and long before 2020.

But sleep? More please!

I would think that your thumb should be okay. It will become obvious either way. Yes, give it a shot. Most folks love it once they try it, no matter the level of play.
Her workout includes walking, indoor biking, swimming, weights and lots of stretching exercises. Her routine incorporates some of the PT exercises she has had to do over the years.

Hi Dtail,

Looking forward to trying pickleball!

PT exercises are never much fun, been there, done that!

Finally took that exit ramp!

A followup:

- Spoke with department chair after Spring Break to let them know that I won’t be back in the fall. Made the rounds, personally thanked those who were there for me.
- Brought a bunch of books to department. Will bring another box on my next trip when I turn in keys. Already cleaned out my office desk at the end of fall. Still have to clean out school email and accounts before the account goes away.
- Bought the National Parks Senior Lifetime pass. Visited one National Monument and one National Forest so far using this pass.
- Took some pickleball lessons. (Used to play racquetball a lot.) I liked it, but already felt a twinge in my hip from rapid stop and go lateral movement. Not sure if I can play the game socially instead of hyper-competitively.
- Got a public library card and have been listening to audiobooks.
- Drove on a 400 mile weekend road trip with my car club.
- Met friends weekly to go walking at local parks, zoo, etc.

TL:DR Finally got to the RE part of FIRE, so let the good times zoom! And thanks to this forum for your encouragement!

A followup:

- Spoke with department chair after Spring Break to let them know that I won’t be back in the fall. Made the rounds, personally thanked those who were there for me.
- Brought a bunch of books to department. Will bring another box on my next trip when I turn in keys. Already cleaned out my office desk at the end of fall. Still have to clean out school email and accounts before the account goes away.
- Bought the National Parks Senior Lifetime pass. Visited one National Monument and one National Forest so far using this pass.
- Took some pickleball lessons. (Used to play racquetball a lot.) I liked it, but already felt a twinge in my hip from rapid stop and go lateral movement. Not sure if I can play the game socially instead of hyper-competitively.
- Got a public library card and have been listening to audiobooks.
- Drove on a 400 mile weekend road trip with my car club.
- Met friends weekly to go walking at local parks, zoo, etc.

TL:DR Finally got to the RE part of FIRE, so let the good times zoom! And thanks to this forum for your encouragement!

Congratulations!! :dance: It sounds like you have a fun and active retirement planned. Enjoy every minute!

I have been out of the rat race for a year now and can honestly say l have enjoyed every day. We are using our state and national park passes, learning pickleball, and slow traveling to wherever the notion takes us.

Congratulations!! :dance: It sounds like you have a fun and active retirement planned. Enjoy every minute!

I have been out of the rat race for a year now and can honestly say l have enjoyed every day. We are using our state and national park passes, learning pickleball, and slow traveling to wherever the notion takes us.

Hi Going camping,

I used to use state park passes frequently back in the day. Thanks for the reminder, I will investigate the current state park pass situation.

Back
Top Bottom