Disabled Veteran looking to live his best life

Psi Brr

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi there!

I’m Bob Hunter, 59, and originally from Connecticut. About 8 years ago I began my journey of coming to grips with PTSD, and this past year saw the VA determine my disability to be 100% Total and Permanent. This essentially guarantees me a monthly income and health & dental care for the rest of my life.

Having been divorced for a hair over two years, I now find myself wondering what to do with my life. Another veteran made the suggestion I slide in here to learn more about what it means to retire early and have a quality of life that’s more than palatable.

I look forward to getting to know better this site and you folk. Make it a great day!

Bob, welcome and thank you for your service! I'm glad we are taking care of our soldiers.

There are a lot of smart folks here. And a lot of folks on similar journeys.

Wondering what ideas you have had and what do you dream of possibly doing?

Part of having PTSD is that EVERY idea I have sounds good. Part of me still wants to venture into other aspects of work life, but they must be mobile.

I love the idea of living on a boat, or traveling in a motorhome. Driving across the country immediately after my divorce was one of the greatest collection of experiences of my life.

I seem to mentally struggle with the notion of laying down roots, and it’s holding me back from doing some of the other things I enjoy like working out and performing live music.

I’ve decided to learn more about cryptocurrencies and invest small amounts.

That being said, if I DO lay roots, I want to live on or near the water; Maybe in officers housing on a retired coastal military base?

Heres some info related to your percieved inquiries.

Only if you're interested in NewEngland. You can readily rent a cabin on the water, less than 30Miles from Boston.

https://scituate.wickedlocal.com/article/20140806/NEWS/140808141

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/massachusetts/fourth-cliff-recreation-area

If your in the area I'd resided nearby this Armed services spot linked above an odd 50yrs. It's ideal. Residents call its geographical location "The spit".;)
Disabled folk(DAV)can earn* an odd 18k w/little taxation.

Good Luck & Best wishes......

Last edited:
Welcome to the board! Many knowledgeable people here including fellow Veterans.

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your service.

Heres some info related to your percieved inquiries.

Only if you're interested in NewEngland. You can readily rent a cabin on the water, less than 30Miles from Boston.

https://scituate.wickedlocal.com/article/20140806/NEWS/140808141

https://www.militarycampgrounds.us/massachusetts/fourth-cliff-recreation-area

If your in the area I'd resided nearby this Armed services spot linked above an odd 50yrs. It's ideal. Residents call its geographical location "The spit".;)
Disabled folk(DAV)can earn* an odd 18k w/little taxation.

Good Luck & Best wishes......

Thanks for bringing back memories...... spent wonderful teenage years here, before joining navy.

That being said, if I DO lay roots, I want to live on or near the water; Maybe in officers housing on a retired coastal military base?
I worked with someone who retired to Seaford, Delaware (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaford,_Delaware). I visited once, and saw the attraction for him. He preferred smaller boats, but also wanted to venture to the ocean and bay now and then.

I don't know anything about the housing situation, though. He lived in a house on the canals (I think). There are many good choices on that entire peninsula.

Welcome to our wonderful forum. Perhaps look into a next step of life doing some RV'g. Many folks on this and other sites can share experiences in this area.

Wow, so many wonderful replies and welcomes! Thank yiu so much for bringing me into the fold, so-to-speak.

Welcome, one of the problems of having almost unlimited options is narrowing things down. The good news is you don't have to make any big commitments - try some different things and see what you enjoy.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service.
Look forward to hearing more from you, this is a great place to learn and share.

There is a member here, Nords, who has written much info on military retirement. You may be able to connect with him sometime.

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate what you did for our country. I hope the PTSD journey is as short as possible.

You will find a wealth of knowledge -- and a few characters -- on this board. Its great. Enjoy and don't be shy with questions or participating.

I've been dealing with PTSD partially taking care of my cousin since he returned from Vietnam in 1971. He spent a year as a CW3 as a helicopter pilot, and he's my hero.

My cousin held very responsible jobs working for NASA subcontractors at a PhD level. And all the time, he was suffering with mental anguish. When a huge project was cancelled, he saw it as a good time to file for Social Security Disability--which he got 20 years ago.

A big part of his problems was incapable psychiatric healthcare with the VA. They simply overdosed him on all kinds of meds, and he's been in a long term fog. In the recent years, he finally got a psychiatrist that (1) understood him and (2) got him off all his meds but one.

Ole John has made an incredible turnaround in the last couple of years, and he's much more into leading a social life and not being such a hermit. The best thing he ever did was get a beautiful white bulldog with a big black spot over his eye. And he's obedience trained that dog--giving him so much companionship.

No matter what you've gone through, there are many others that are worse off. Never give up on yourself. There is a future for you, and it's up to you to find out what really makes you happy.

If you have the desire to travel, go find yourself a late model van and turn it into a 1-2 man camper complete with bed and a mini-kitchen. There are examples all over the internet and YouTube of such rigs.

And if you're eligible for Social Security disability, by all means get your paperwork together and apply for it. And good luck.

Having been divorced for a hair over two years, I now find myself wondering what to do with my life. Another veteran made the suggestion I slide in here to learn more about what it means to retire early and have a quality of life that’s more than palatable.

I look forward to getting to know better this site and you folk. Make it a great day!

There is a member here, Nords, who has written much info on military retirement. You may be able to connect with him sometime.

Just FWIW, the OP hasn't been back here in a month.
Thanks, Pacergal!

Well, Bob, next time you check in, let me know if you have any questions about the VA benefits side.

Hi Bob,
If you find your way back to us, as others have mentioned, there are lots of smart folks on here to open up about all sorts of topics.

If you haven’t already, check out the DAV. It’s a great organization with lots of Resources. Thank you for your service and Seymour Fi...

Back
Top Bottom