Early fifties with a few more years to go until kicking back and crazy travel

Callitaday2022

Recycles dryer sheets
Just wanted to give a quick introduction, and will ask for some advice on other community forums.
We are already mostly FI, but both love our jobs, and will keep going until around 59.5 to get kids through college and up our travel budget in retirement.** I am a physical therapist working ortho and sports,* and wife is retired military and consultant.*
Don't get me wrong, we both enjoy our time off more than time at work, however neither has ever got the Sunday evening or Monday morning blues, and both are in very rewarding careers.

Very lucky that we both embrace LBYM lifestyles and are better savers than spenders.** Currently save over 25% of incomes into retirement and 529s.**
We did buy a late model used gas RV a few years ago that we love traveling in. Cars paid for and hope to get another 10 years out of them.* Only debt is mortgage.**

Joking with my wife last week, as she is not a huge fan of Kirkland liquid dish detergent.* I said that if she really wants... we can splurge, and can afford Dawn.* My Grandmother can get change from a penny, and I got some of her frugality,* but we definitely are not cheap.* Try to buy high quality items that will last, even if it cost a little more up front.

Our* goals are to get the kids through college and not boomerang,* upgrade to late model diesel pusher and head south in winters and north in summers, with a few out of country trips each year.

Caught the travel bug when stationed over seas (I did 10 years military), and* think we have a good balance between life* experiences, stuff, and saving.*

Have a 15 year 2.875% that will be close to paid off when retiring, and will probably down size to smaller ranch home with large RV garage with hookups that can also hold cars.** I don't think we will full time RV, but hope to be on the road a lot.
We pay some extra on mortgage each month which I know is not financially smart, but phychologically we will feel much better if paid off, or very close.*

We plan to use 4% withdrawal from 59.5 to 70, and then go much lower after both take SS at 70.* We are both super healthy,* and both have extreme longevity in our families.

Congrats! Lookin good. I'm a bit like you - my only debt is the mortgage. We have traveled a lot too, but probably not RVing.

Sounds like a good plan.

I kept looking for footnotes with all those asterisks :LOL:

Welcome to the forum and congrats and being FI and working because you want to. Sounds like you have a good plan for next few years, and for the time afterward. Get the kids through college and then enjoy retirement.

My DW and I also like the RV travel, being able to see the country and stay in places not restricted to hotels. I already have the big motorhome, but will not be full timing either. Certainly plan some longer trips though once retired next year!

Welcome!
I used asterisks to define *italics* many years ago. Recently used them asterisks in a writing format called ***markdown***. One asterisk sets of italicized writing. Two get you bolder words. Three get you bold italicized.

Makes me think of typewriter days...
Sigh...

Welcome! We are the same age and on the same timeline for FIRE, maybe 7-8 years. I'm finding the rough and tumble of work to be easier to handle mentally as we break through increasing levels of FI and the desire to retire just as soon as possible lessening. Saving aggressively and growing that investment nut becomes something like fun and highly lucrative moonlighting. At this rate, soon it will be, "What, me worry?"

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm finding the rough and tumble of work to be easier to handle mentally as we break through increasing levels of FI

"F.U." Money......it's nice to know you can stand up from your desk at any time and say "That's it...I'm outta here".....and knowing you can do that makes it easier not to.

Welcome! Your savings, LBYM lifestyle and your wife's military pension all are great building blocks to financial independence. Sounds like you have a good plan for your future and I look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome and sounds like you have a great plan!

FYI, there's a button for italics (as well as bold and underline) at the top of the message box, and there are more editing options if you hit the "Go Advanced" button below the message box.

Sorry about the asterisks in my introduction. I transferred my message from my memo pad on my phone, and did not preview it before posting. Somehow when I transferred it it added all the asterisk!

Back
Top Bottom