Engineer winding down...What will I do now?

While I'm not an engineer, the solution to your quandary seem simple to me. If you are concerned about a lack of projects & deadlines - create some.

My first couple of years in retirement were quickly consumed with household projects/renovations. Not being overly "handy," I enjoyed learning the BASICS of tiling, plumbing and construction. I imagine an "engineer" (depending on the type) might also enjoy this type of activity.

My current project is the restoration of a car that I've wanted since childhood... a "series" land rover. An ideal "engineer's" car, these old vehicles are essentially big erector-sets. They are simply (but ruggedly) constructed and made to be field stripped in the jungle with just a wrench & screwdriver. They are fairly inexpensive, have a well stocked parts supply and (like the FIRE group) enjoy a friendly community of 'blokes' anxious to help with advice and support. As a benefit... if you enjoy "slow travel," there are few things on the road slower :LOL:

Whatever you choose as a "project" simply enjoy the freedom of choosing your own :dance:

Nice Land Rover....Series II (early 60's?). Gas or diesel?

I would like to thank everyone for taking your time to respond, and for your very encouraging comments. I am hoping to join you all in this retirement adventure well before the middle of next year.

My only issue right now is that I have been put in the middle of part of a needed product upgrade, and I don't want to let anyone down by bailing on them. These are all my personal friends as well as colleagues, and everyone has always been good to me there. Unfortunately, my heart is no longer in it as it was before. I don't know why, maybe it is just the "been there done that" thing. But I just have to get myself psyched up for the next two or three months, get it done and working well, I have already told them I will be winding down next year, then start the party.

Some of you talked about being open to getting involved with new engineering projects as they might arise. Maybe things will change a few years (or months) into retirement, but right now I don't feel the urge to get involved in any more embedded engineering projects, that used to so excite me so, even if they come along.

Right now I think that I want to try something completely different. One is to learn a foreign language (or two), something that I have always failed miserably at before. I am always amazed by Europeans that I meet, they all seem to speak a multitude of languages, and their English is usually better than mine! But I think I need to have the time to concentrate on it, and this w*rk thing for me is so intense it seems to block out my concentration on other things.

Again I want to thank everyone who has commented here, everyone here is so kind and interesting, feel I wish I could meet you all in person.

Thanks again and the best of luck to all of you!

Back
Top Bottom