English in exchange for Spanish

Any one up to a Tex-Mex quiz?

1. Here's a typical greeting you'll never figure out from using el diccionario:2. What city is known as "San Quimas" (Phonetic, unsure on spelling).
3. Which city is called "El Chuco"?
4. What is La Feria
5. Who/What is La Placa
6. What is a cuete?

Una Negra Modelo to the first to guess it's correct translation. You have to come get it in person though.

negra+model
La Feria: Isn´t it some kind of fairground?
La Placa: The Police?
I think I´m better at English than at Mexican. At least I hope so given the hours I put in reading/listening to English.

Okay, only one contestant and I don't have to give up any of my birrongas (beer).

Most of this is not Mexican slang, but rather originated in El Paso, Texas in the period right before and after World War II when young Mexican American kids were struggling living in two cultures and not completely identifying with either. Mexicans called them pochos, which is "bad fruit", and the name eventually morphed into Pachucos. Long story short, they identified with not being accepted by either Anglo Americans or Mexicans and created their own culture. It included slang words that only they understood. The language of the Pachucos spread across the Southwest United States through the Pachuco subculture, into the gang subculture, and eventually throughout the Mexican American population as far away as Los Angeles and Chicago. The Pachuco culture has given way to that of the Cholos, but they share the same language.

Think of the differences in English as it is spoken in the US and England, or Australia, and you get the idea. Same language, but words take on different meanings in the usage, and some new words are created that are unique to one country.

Answers: 1. Que onda buey literally translates to something like How (are the) wave(s) young ox? In Tex Mex it is a common way to say What's up dude?

San Antonio is also known as San Quimas. El Paso = El Chuco

La Feria is money

La Placa is the police

Cuete is short for cohete or rocket and means a pistol.

One of my favorite aspects of Pachuco language is the use of rhyming, kind of like Cockney English but somewhat different, and in Spanish of course. Examples include, Al rato vato (= Later dude), or Que te pasa Calabaza?

There are plenty of people who speak proper Spanish in the U.S., and there are at least as many who speak Spanglish, but both groups, with the exception of new arrivals) will use Pachuco slang when hanging out with their friends and in other informal situations.

I think "Que onda buey" is slang used throughout Mexico and the US to mean "what's up dude" like you say. I know I heard it plenty while down there from the younger people and I hear it up here on the East Coast USA. Maybe they received the word from the Cholos?

I think "Que onda buey" is slang used throughout Mexico and the US to mean "what's up dude" like you say. I know I heard it plenty while down there from the younger people and I hear it up here on the East Coast USA. Maybe they received the word from the Cholos?
That could be the case. Given that pieces of American culture get adopted all over the world, and all the cross border movement across the Mexico-US border, I wouldn't doubt that Pachuco language/slang is cropping up in a lot of Spanish speaking countries and especially Mexico. All of the MS-13 guys who wound back up in Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc., certainly took a lot of it back with them.

That could be the case. Given that pieces of American culture get adopted all over the world, and all the cross border movement across the Mexico-US border, I wouldn't doubt that Pachuco language/slang is cropping up in a lot of Spanish speaking countries and especially Mexico. All of the MS-13 guys who wound back up in Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, etc., certainly took a lot of it back with them.
That lingo hasn´t arrived here yet. At least in this part of Spain. With all due respect I find it awful.

Keep that Castilian pure!

Back
Top Bottom