Finally were both going to be retired.

riskadverse

Full time employment: Posting here.
I retired a little over 2 years ago at 56, but my wife continued to work . . . mainly to pick up a pension that wouldn't come into effect until she reached 55 years old and 15 years of employment.  In the past 2 years, I'll bet she's said "I wish I was retired" about a thousand times.  She finally reached the goal, and tomorrow is her last day.  Somehow I feel that I'm going to be even more retired now that she is, although she claims she is going to keep me working a little harder now that she can watch over me.  In any event, this is a big turning point for the both of us . . . (and the end of paychecks coming in).    

Sounds like it's time to celebrate. Congratulations to both of you. :D :D :)

Congratulations to you both! Having both of your retired at the same time will bring many good things and some not so good things. Too much togetherness after years of being apart most of the day can be an issue for both of you. Try to find some individual activities you each can do while at home that will give you each something to do part of the day. Create you own spaces in the house and make some rules about not "bothering" the other for certain periods of the day. Just don't go crazy with the rules because not living under so much work stress can make for some nice couples moments during the day. ;)

Enjoy each other but also give yourselves some space. Many of the retired couples I know had an adjustment period at first but most have coped with it very well. However, one couple divorced after a year of retirement. I guess once they had the time to be around each other 24/7 they found out they really did not like each other. :(

Have a wonderful retirement.

riskaverse said:
She finally reached the goal, and tomorrow is her last day.  Somehow I feel that I'm going to be even more retired now that she is, although she claims she is going to keep me working a little harder now that she can watch over me.
Congratulations to both of you, RiskAverse.

So, when does she join the board?

Congratulations to your wife taking the retirement plunge. Enjoy every day.

Twice as much wife - Half as much money! :D :D :D

Congratulations for making it. - Any Big plans the first year? - Long trips?, Moving?

To paraphrase SteveR:

Patience, patience, patience.

Memory says - I drove her nuts for while in 1993 while she worked a year and four months longer - then we drove each other crazy for a couple months with us both  retired.

And then life got beautiful.

I.e. - expect some mental transition. That's my bet. No big deal - just work thru it and have fun.

It's been a couple of days and I've had less free time than usual . . . which I expected.  I don't think we'll have any problems adjusting, we are pretty comfortable with each other and have our own interests as well as similar interests.   I don't think she'll join the board, it's not something she would normally do, but then again with time to do things, she may surprise me.  We have no big plans on the horizon, other than a backyard remodel involving building a cement block/stucco fence to surround the backyard, and an inground pool and terrace refurbishment.  We're not doing the work, it's a little too big for my scale of projects, but she will be running the project.  It turns out she is much better at management than I. 

Congratulations to your wife! I'm eagerly awaiting the day DH retires (one more year?) then it will truly feel like ER and not just me being a bum. Please keep us posted on the transition, its a very interesting topic. And good luck with the back yard!

Spanky said:
Pension checks will come soon.  8)

Drew my last paycheck in June, 1998. This month I began
taking regular IRA withdrawals. Later this year SS will begin
(assuming I live until Sept.) someone will benefit........... And, my little
holding co. throws off dividends from time to time. Man, I have
checks coming from every angle. Even some rent checks
if I can get paid before my tenants disappear. :)

JG

Back
Top Bottom