Join Early Retirement Today

First time poster
Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

First time poster

Hey, finally decided to register and say hello to you all. I'm nowhere near retiring but hoping the information I get from this site will help me stay the course to early retirement or at least reduced working in my later years.

A little about me, I'm 30 but got a late start in my carrer as I was a goofball in school till just about 26. My job has a pension plan but I'm a pessimist so I'm saving to retire on just my own savings, ignoring the pension or social security (I've seen topics about this very thing previously discussed, but coming from a family that was poor and things taken from them, I rather err on the side of caution).

Living in Hawaii makes saving a little difficult but I manage to save over 50% of my income. I believe there is another active Hawaii poster who knows what I mean. Waiting for my first real estate purchase to finish in the form of a condo and hoping everything stays on track for a comfortable retirement.

Hope to see some of you in the other forums here.
ctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: First time poster
Old 06-09-2005, 04:03 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

But remember we have very little pity on folks living in Hawaii, especially in December, January and February from us Minnesota people!

Old 06-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

ctech,

Welcome to the board. *You should be able to get all the advice you need. *Just ask away.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hey ctech
Welcome to the board.* I'm a newbe as well, but already find the forum a valuable resource.
I spent some great years on the island also and found saving was doable so long as you loved the beach and other simple (spelled cheap) pleasures.

It is also good that at your age you realize your retirement is mostly a do it yourself project.
hang loose!
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctech
Living in Hawaii makes saving a little difficult but I manage to save over 50% of my income.
Ctech,

Welcome. It does not appear to be that difficult if you can save over 50%.

Spanky
Old 06-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Ctech,

Welcome. It does not appear to be that difficult if you can save over 50%.

Spanky
Well, currently, I'm living at home just paying rent to my parents so that makes it easy. I don't anticipate that rate or savings once I move out. I've learned quite a bit through this site and much reading on finances and savings on the internet.

I used to be a big car buff, rebuilt a classic camaro, went out partying a lot but have luckily wised up and enjoy my life through much more frugal avenues (not to mention for my health) through, as someone mentioned taking advantage of my location. I've taken up tennis, hiking and volleyball since working and am looking for a chance to pick up scuba diving.

I'm sure I'll continue to get great ideas for FI and RE here and try to post what I can and experiences.
ctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's good to party, I partied/goofed off until about 25, now I'm 30 and being on the straight and narrow is easier knowing you aren't missing anything, or at least it's worth missing!

Re the pension: I would opt into the pension if it's a choice, usually it's not too expensive to you and despite all the pessimism, you'll probably see some sort of income stream in your golden years from it. Firecalc shows us just how valuable an income stream can be when compared to a lump of assets! Welcome!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and am looking for a chance to pick up scuba diving.
E komo mai, Ctech.* Hoho nu no ke kawa!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Well, currently, I'm living at home just paying rent to my parents so that makes it easy. I don't anticipate that rate or savings once I move out. I've learned quite a bit through this site and much reading on finances and savings on the internet.
(insert thumbs-up emoticon)

I'm a 28-year old also following the 'living at home' scenario (although my folks are in FL enjoying their semi-retirement 9 months out of the year) to save up some cash. I'll be starting a part-time MBA this fall, and plan on having my own place right around when I graduate in 2-3 years (although, by then, I also hope to have found my perfect significant other, and possibly have a wedding date planned by then). Living at home sure does make it easy on the housing/utilities/furnishings budget. And as for the stigma associated with it? I consider it a self-selecting factor when interviewing prospective dates...if they don't see the fiscal prudence of my decision, then they wouldn't understand any of my other fiscal decisions.

Good luck ctech, and let the questions fly.