fixed indexed annuity

I just received the latest issue of Money magazine: Investor's Guide 2011 / Special Investing Double Issue / January Febraruy 2011.

Beginning on page 138, it is an article, The Safety trap, talking about Index Annuities, by Lisa Gibbs. Basically, it talks about the low returns, high commissions, and high penalty for early withdrawal. It offers a better alternative: 85% in CD, 15% in S&P 500 Index fund (VFINX).

I do not know how accurate this article is, but it provided me a better understanding of the potential pitfalls of this product.

Your local library may have this magazine.

These annuity-replacement deals come up from time to time but I'm not convinced they offer much more than a good diversified portfolio and a sensible SWR. Brewer has described one (recently re-discussed), FYI.

If I were to choose such an annuity alternative, I'd look at Vanguard's managed payout funds. But this is not part of my strategy, and they tend to hold about 75% equities, making AA a bit tricky. Consumer Reports mentions these funds in the must recent issue (favorably).

The combined ignorance in this, and the other linked thread is just astounding. The internet continues to be a place run by lowest common denominator knowledge. God I hope you read this Ralph....

Seriously? You want this 64 year old guy with no pension (that obviously is not all that experienced or knowledgeable at investing) to expose HALF of his entire nest egg to an equity index? I can't even believe I need to explain why this is an absolutely awful idea (and for a LOT of reasons).

But since I obviously do, here's the biggest. When dealing with the US stock market, sure it's averaged 8-12% (depending who you ask) over a pretty long stretch of time. But in case anyone's noticed, the year after year returns aren't exactly like.... 7,9,12,6,10,8,9,8. No, here's 99-2009:

2009 27.11
2008 -37.22
2007 5.46
2006 15.74
2005 4.79
2004 10.82
2003 28.72
2002 -22.27
2001 -11.98
2000 -9.11
1999 21.11

Man. Let's hope no 64 year old's followed your advice in 2000, or 2007 (or in the 50's, the 70's, etc). Why does this matter? Basically put, and I can mathematically and graphically prove this if you'd like, the MOST important factor in determing how well a certain person's retirement does in a Monte Carlo simulation is whether or not they suffer losses in the years LEADING UP TO, and DIRECTLY FOLLOWING retirement. When graphed, it basically looks like a bell curve, so if you're 45 you can have your dollars pretty risky, when you're 65 you REALLY REALLY CAN'T, and if you're 85, you can actually be about as risky as you were at 45 (technically... you're money just isn't going to need to last all that much longer).

Basically put, if you just HAPPEN to turn 65 and dump half your money into the S&P right before a particularly nasty stretch of years, your chances of running out of money go absolutely through the roof. You don't have enough time, you're not earning any more, and meanwhile you're probably drawing off of your dollars monthly (reverse dollar-cost avg=bad). That line graph will take an absolute nose-dive. With that being the case, I think you can definitely argue that the absolute most important priority for someone 58-73 (or so) is to not put themselves in a position to lose 30-40% of their life savings.

And before you say "well it always comes back" be prepared to get linked to several articles that show the avg stock market investor return is closer to 3%, mainly due to things like emotional selling during turbulence. Let's say Ralph, who obviously isn't that experienced at investing, drops 150K into your vanguard index fund, and then proceeds to watch it drop to 90 over a couple years. Is there any chance that Ralph might do something rash and sell out near the low? Nah, probably not... that never happens.

Being 64, Ralph should have no more than 36% of his money in something which can lose value in any way whatsoever (rule of 100).

But he's half in bonds, which can't lose value (sorta). But remember, that face value can go down too. In November alone, 30 year US treasuries lost 8% of their current face value, and that's about the only security you're allowed to say is "risk-free." Sure you will get all your money back in 30 years, but if you wanted to sell today, you're out 8%, bud. So bonds don't pass the smell test for something that can't lose value.

Only things that pass the test:
CD's
US Savings Bonds
Annuities

I'm too tired to go into the absurd skepticism these threads have displayed towards the "Claims paying ability of the issuing company." But basically put, in my state alone, the State promises to back up to 500K in annuity dollars, that's if an insurer fails, and doesn't get gobbled up, and doesn't have its obligations covered by a healthy insurer (which is in all of their best interest to do). When's the last time the stock market lost 40%? When's the last time a US citizen had his annuity defaulted on? Guess which one was more recent.

Ralph, if an insurance company is saying, in writing, that it will do something, and you do your due diligence on the company you're buying from yadda yadda, you have about as guaranteed of a thing as you're going to find in this world. Shoot, the US government has mountains of debt - maybe IT will go bankrupt. Are you going to build a bomb shelter and stock up on guns?

Couple closing points. The thread is right that it's not a great time to buy a fixed annuity. Interest rates are at historic lows, and it makes very little sense to "lock-in" to a rate that is almost guaranteed to substantially rise within the next 5 years.

A couple directions to go for now: Bank CD 3-5 year. I'd put 65% in there, so 195K or so. For the other 35%, it wouldn't be a terrible idea to do half in the vanguard stock and half in the vanguard bond.

If you did want to go with an indexed annuity, find one with a lifetime income benefit rider - those rates are still decent sometimes. I did a quick calculator and if you deposited 200K on a LIBR rolling up at 7% compounding annually (available in my state) and didn't touch it for 10 years, you'd have around 25K a year guaranteed lifetime income when you turned it on. You could easily throw the other 100K in a 10 year term bank cd and draw it down while you wait for the annuity to ratchet up.

Although I agree with you regarding CDs, US Saving Bonds and annuities (see my other postings), I do not believe starting your first post on this website with the sentence "The combined ignorance in this, and the other linked thread is just astounding.". Please kindly be respectful to those whose views may differ from yours. There is a wealth of information on this website, please use the "search" function. There will be no more message from me under this thread.

The combined ignorance in this, and the other linked thread is just astounding.

Moose- some parts good analysis, but overall bad packaging.

Remember what your mother told you about flies and vinegar and honey?

Ha

I'm too tired to go into the absurd skepticism these threads have displayed towards the "Claims paying ability of the issuing company." But basically put, in my state alone, the State promises to back up to 500K in annuity dollars, that's if an insurer fails, and doesn't get gobbled up, and doesn't have its obligations covered by a healthy insurer (which is in all of their best interest to do).

On the subject of gross ignorance (or perhaps malicuous spamming?), you should look very closely at the exact wording of the state guaranty fund coverage of your insurance contract(s). Details can be found via www.nolhga.com In short, the state does not back any insurance company products whatsoever, real or implied. It is a "guarantee association" funded (sort of) by the insurers doing business in that state. If a large insurer blows up with significant losses to policyholders, you would likely be getting the shaft.

Well anonymoose, as dumb as I am don't plan on spending any of my money. There's just something about annuity salespeople that rubs me the wrong way.

I agree with some of the arrogant a-hole's post. I would never recommend going all into either the bond or equity market, especially now. However, if the OP decided to invest that way, a slow DCA over a few years could smooth the ride significantly.

I do agree, as have most of the posters in this thread, that CDs are the way to go for now. And possibly a fixed annuity, although as has been pointed out it's a bad time to buy one. But what most of the people that responded have been trying to point out that the costs on an indexed annuity tend to be outrageous, and the benefits tremendously inflated. And this statement
Ralph, if an insurance company is saying, in writing, that it will do something, and you do your due diligence on the company you're buying from yadda yadda, you have about as guaranteed of a thing as you're going to find in this world.
is nearly as misleading as what the annuity salesmen are saying. It's not what they tell you that you can count on, it's what they don't tell you that will come back and bite you. Maybe if the OP was a lawyer specializing in insurance and annuities he could read the "guarantee" and make sense of it. I know I couldn't, and he specifically said he doesn't know that much about financial matters yet.

Basically, despite the lowest common denominator ignorance, what the forum members have been saying is "wait, take some deep breaths, invest what you have very safely for the short term, look at your options while developing more knowledge, then make your best choice". But I'm glad someone smart came along to counter that bad advice.

Sorry for the "bad packaging" but it kinda pisses me off to see someone talk a 64 year old out of a guaranteed, relatively safe, and for all intents and purposes (having to see actual contract details) suitable investment and then cavalierly suggest he dump half his only money into the stock market. Sorry for not being "nicer" to the message board, but that advice could have some real consequences.

Also, it kinda pisses me off that you all have probably ruined any chance of him ever using any products from an insurance company, which would severely limit him of some excellent tools in his retirement years (annuities are the ONLY way to get a guaranteed income stream, life insurance is an excellent wealth transfer tool at death, and often can provide LTC protection on the same dollar). You all act like getting money from an insurance company is like getting back that 40 bucks you loaned your cousin. These companies aren't run from treehouses - every state has very specific rules for what insurers can and can't do with their balance sheets. AIG? Their insurance wing (American General) had plenty of cash through that whole crisis, and in fact, when AIG (parent company) tried to siphon some out, they got blocked by the state's insurance commissioner. They had to keep their reserve requirements for paying claims.

Through the worst recession in 75 years, how many people had their monthly annuity deposit not show up? You can disagree, and that's fine, but for MY due diligence, that right there passes the test. Even the badly rated companies did fine, stick with the well rated and... even better.

Finally I don't disagree at all that Ralph should probably wait and take a deep breath and do some research... when did I say THAT was bad advice? I specifically directed my criticism at the 50% equity index advice, and blanket bashing of insurance companies, annuities, etc.

annuities are the ONLY way to get a guaranteed income stream
SPIAs are one thing; EIAs are another. Many folks here have considered SPIAs as part of their retirement income planning (though not now; the interest rates are too low to make this a good time to buy a guaranteed income stream), but most can't see an EIA being a good move for a 64-year-old (or anyone, for that matter). An SPIA, on the other hand, could be for part of their retirement savings -- particularly if they aren't concerned about estate preservation.

And in my experience, the harder the sell, the worse the product being sold and the higher the fees to be made from the sale. Good products tend to sell themselves.

FYI, Using FireCalc, cliffp's suggestion of 300k 50/50 portfolio, with a 15000/yr draw (inflation adjusted), has a success rate of 92.5% over 20 years and 73% over 25 years. (BTW, average life expectancy at 64 is ~17 years.) I think cliffp's advice is pretty decent ...

I keep thinking, hmmm...moose in a china closet. TG for the ignore function.

We agree on all points there Ziggy. As a financial planning "tool" if you actually DO believe that a contract with an insurance company is a pretty safe bet (I think you should, generally) SPIA's should not be overlooked, because for a lot of people they're exactly what is NEEDED. The key there is that I believe the contract is believable, they will stick by the good AND the bad, so read up.

That being said, I think, even today, there are great annuities, good annuities, and bad annuities. Also, back in the early 90s and such, there were good annuities, bad annuities, and TERRIBLE annuities which got lots of well-deserved attention. Today, many of the famously bad annuity characteristics have been outlawed. In my state, for example, an annuity cannot have longer than a 10 year surrender period or 10% percent surrender charge in the 1st year (10/10 state).

I think that many vanilla, normal EIA's are a perfectly reasonable investment for some of a retirees dollars. They could probably do BETTER, but for many investors, the most important thing is how BADLY could they possibly do. For those investors, limiting their downside potential is worth the sucky stuff (less than full participation, surrender charges). Also, no EIA has any sort of fee unless you're talking about a lifetime income rider being attached. (just talking about fixed based annuities, variables are a whole different monster).

But really, the lifetime income riders are really where these products can excel at filling a niche that no other product can. Like I mentioned in my previous post, if Ralph could find an indexed annuity with a 7 or 8% compounding income account roll-up rider similar to one available in my state, puts 200K in and let's it ratchet up for 10 years, he will be guaranteed a 25K annual payout (bout 2.1K/month) from 74-his death. Even in today's not great interest rate environment, with the other 100k Ralph could get a 10 year SPIA to pay him around 1K a month until then. There is no wiggle room in these numbers. If you do believe that insurance companies by and large have and will continue to pay their claims as promised, this is an excellent route to go if you want to simply maximize and guarantee your income stream (which it sounds like, for Ralph, is the exact purpose of this money, NOT stock market speculation hoping it pays off, etc).

FYI, Using FireCalc, cliffp's suggestion of 300k 50/50 portfolio, with a 15000/yr draw (inflation adjusted), has a success rate of 92.5% over 20 years and 73% over 25 years. (BTW, average life expectancy at 64 is ~17 years.) I think cliffp's advice is pretty decent ...

I guess if Ralph had retired in 2000 he'd fall into that 8.75%? After a decade his equity holdings are about where they were when he started, plus he's been drawing down 12K a year from them. Look him in the face when he runs out of money and tell him that it works "most of the time."

Financial planning should not only work if the market goes up. That is not a bulletproof plan, that is hoping.

Let's see: aggressive tone, ignores quite clear counter-arguments, talks up complex products which are quite expensive. A this point I am just waiting for the link to whatever this poster is selling.

Great, Good and Bad being based on the commission and fees? Anything that has 40 pages attached to it is not something old Ralph should be involved in.

I guess if Ralph had retired in 2000 he'd fall into that 8.75%? After a decade his equity holdings are about where they were when he started, plus he's been drawing down 12K a year from them. Look him in the face when he runs out of money and tell him that it works "most of the time."

Financial planning should not only work if the market goes up. That is not a bulletproof plan, that is hoping.

OK, Here's a spreadsheet of the returns of the cliffp portfolio suggestion for the last 10 years starting in 2000, including an inflation adjusted 15k draw. Doesn't look too bad to me, portfolio value is down to 215k. At a burn rate of 85k for 10 years, doesn't seem catastrophic at all for a 64 year old.

<edit: just noticed I used Investor shares, not Admiral as cliffp suggests, total return should be even slightly larger than what I show>

Attachments

• RalphScenario.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 21
The combined ignorance in this, and the other linked thread is just astounding.
I can't even believe I need to explain why this is an absolutely awful idea (and for a LOT of reasons).
I'm too tired to go into the absurd skepticism these threads have displayed towards the "Claims paying ability of the issuing company."
Anonymoose, is there some part of the community rules, specifically the guideline "Don't be a jerk", that's causing confusion?

The strength of your logic does not appear to be enhanced by the manner in which you express yourself. But if you add more CAPITAL LETTERS then I might be able to understand it better.

You have a nice life now.

The combined ignorance in this, and the other linked thread is just astounding. The internet continues to be a place run by lowest common denominator knowledge. God I hope you read this Ralph....

Hope you feel better after that...

It seemed to me that most people were warning Ralph about the potential pitfall of FIA (aka Equity Index Annuity) and warning him to not make an uninformed decision. He should spend some time educating himself first.

Ralph needs to grab Otar's book and read it. It is a very good treatment of the options, risks, possible outcomes, pitfalls, etc. It is pro-annuity in certain scenarios.

There are a number of posts that indicate that a SPIA might be appropriate.... but since it is a permanent decision... do the homework, do not rely solely on the insurance agents sales presentation.

I just know that this belongs in here somewhere:

Disagree.JPG

Sorry for the "bad packaging" but it kinda pisses me off to see someone talk a 64 year old out of a guaranteed, relatively safe, and for all intents and purposes (having to see actual contract details) suitable investment and then cavalierly suggest he dump half his only money into the stock market. Sorry for not being "nicer" to the message board, but that advice could have some real consequences.

Also, it kinda pisses me off that you all have probably ruined any chance of him ever using any products from an insurance company, which would severely limit him of some excellent tools in his retirement years (annuities are the ONLY way to get a guaranteed income stream, life insurance is an excellent wealth transfer tool at death, and often can provide LTC protection on the same dollar). You all act like getting money from an insurance company is like getting back that 40 bucks you loaned your cousin. These companies aren't run from treehouses - every state has very specific rules for what insurers can and can't do with their balance sheets. AIG? Their insurance wing (American General) had plenty of cash through that whole crisis, and in fact, when AIG (parent company) tried to siphon some out, they got blocked by the state's insurance commissioner. They had to keep their reserve requirements for paying claims.

Through the worst recession in 75 years, how many people had their monthly annuity deposit not show up? You can disagree, and that's fine, but for MY due diligence, that right there passes the test. Even the badly rated companies did fine, stick with the well rated and... even better.

Finally I don't disagree at all that Ralph should probably wait and take a deep breath and do some research... when did I say THAT was bad advice? I specifically directed my criticism at the 50% equity index advice, and blanket bashing of insurance companies, annuities, etc.

And what are the combined FEES on these products... broken out by fee to run, fee to agent, hidden fees..

But he's half in bonds, which can't lose value (sorta). But remember, that face value can go down too. In November alone, 30 year US treasuries lost 8% of their current face value, and that's about the only security you're allowed to say is "risk-free." Sure you will get all your money back in 30 years, but if you wanted to sell today, you're out 8%, bud. So bonds don't pass the smell test for something that can't lose value.

A true stmt that just does not make sense.... lets say you have two options with the money you want to spend for an annuity

Option A... invest in an annuity and have NO money, only an income stream... and guess what, you can not sell it even at a loss... and there is nothing when you die to leave to anybody

Option B... buy a 30 year bond that pays interest... get that income stream.. and guess what, IF you need money you can sell it.. even if you take a loss... and if you live off the income, there is the principal to leave someone when you die...

So that is a false argument designed by salesmen to scare people that do not know any better...

Since the person wants

Interesting that Ralph hasn't been on the forum for a week. Wonder what happened? You think maybe he bought an annuity from some anonymous moose?

Interesting that Ralph hasn't been on the forum for a week. Wonder what happened? You think maybe he bought an annuity from some anonymous moose?

Poor guy.... He was dealing with a personal crisis, I think the whole thing was overwhelming.

I doubt if he'll be back to tell us he bought an annuity. Chinaco is right, in Ralph's mind he is between a rock and a hard place. Oh well!

I just want to propose that we have a signal when somebody new comes along that will be popcorn material... (where IS that popcorn icon:confused:)...

I mean... I had not come to this thread in awhile and low and behold there was entertainment hiding here... and nobody told me :ROFLMAO:

I just happened to hit it because there was traffic going on and I was bored...

Back
Top Bottom