fixed indexed annuity

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how things are going for them.
I hope someone will chime in soon to give you a first-hand report.

Unfortunately for you, I think most here have done their homework, read the fine print on these insurance products and said "no way in hell" to a purchase. Those who are willing to admit they were [-]suckered[/-] sold on a EIA generally did so when they were younger and less informed.

........... I have to go soon. No work and unemployment is staring me in the face. I'm willing to let the insurance company make money on my money IF I get a guaranteed monthly income for the next 7 year..........

I think you are letting desperation overwhelm the good advice you have gotten here. Take a deep breath and reconsider at your leisure. Once you pull the trigger on that annuity, you are stuck with your decision.

chinaco, I have been doing what you suggested for the past year or so. Waiting til 70 to retire is not an option. I have to go soon. No work and unemployment is staring me in the face. I'm willing to let the insurance company make money on my money IF I get a guaranteed monthly income for the next 7 years. My bank advisor told me that Jackson Insurance will deposit $1500 into my account every month and possibly more if the S&P improves and it will be in "writing". I'm not interested in making more money anymore. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how things are going for them.

Ralph,

I understand. But retiring does not mean you have to take SS. Of course, if you need it to live... you might have to take it.

For example, you could live off your other resources and delay taking SS a few years to increase the amount you will draw.... Remember SS has a COLA.

But whether or not this works for you will take some analysis.

If you are considering buying an annuity.... you should determine if your best option is to buy an annuity to spend your assets and defer taking SS till a later age. You get a quote from Social Security. What would be the increased amount you would get if you waited till 70 vs 66.x or 65?

Some other things to think about.

What would be the cost of purchasing a CPU-I adjusted Annuity at age 70 for you? Would it be more than you would spend while waiting?

You will want to factor in your longevity if you are considering buying an annuity. If you have health problems and do not live for many years, you may not recover the cost of the annuity. The same consideration should be factored in if you plan to defer taking SS for a few years.

There are a lot of issues to consider. This is why it is so important to spend some time educating yourself on the issues.

You can post questions on this forum. People on this forum will help you understand the issues better.

chinaco, I have been doing what you suggested for the past year or so. Waiting til 70 to retire is not an option. I have to go soon. No work and unemployment is staring me in the face. I'm willing to let the insurance company make money on my money IF I get a guaranteed monthly income for the next 7 years. My bank advisor told me that Jackson Insurance will deposit $1500 into my account every month and possibly more if the S&P improves and it will be in "writing". I'm not interested in making more money anymore. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how things are going for them.

Ralph, the advise here is sound. We can only advise you and shake you so much till you jump in the toilet and realize at some point you made a mistake. Believe me I've made them along the way also.

Ralph, you didn't mention whether the annuity payout was based solely on your life or on the joint life expectancy of you and your wife.

Be sure to run all of your SS, income and spending numbers on two scenarios: one where you die first and one where your wife passes first.

Dumb general question here, not specifically directed at Ralph:

Isn't this the "red-light" situation where Otar [-]demands[/-] suggests buying a cheap SPIA? Or is the problem that the FIA (or EIA, or whatever we're calling it now to avoid prosecution) seems to offer more payout for less upfront cost?

Isn't this the "red-light" situation where Otar [-]demands[/-] suggests buying a cheap SPIA? Or is the problem that the FIA (or EIA, or whatever we're calling it now to avoid prosecution) seems to offer more payout for less upfront cost?
I think the problem (for Ralph) is he views the SPIA as "I'm giving up my nest egg forever" while the [insert term of you choosing here] option offers the promise of getting your money back after a defined number of years.
And, after the term is up I can take 100% of my initial premium and do what I want with it or reinvest it again at possibly a higher rate. Even though the immediate life annuity would give me $600 more a month to live on, getting ALL my money back in 7 years makes it sound pretty good..

I think the problem (for Ralph) is he views the SPIA as "I'm giving up my nest egg forever" while the [insert term of you choosing here] option offers the promise of getting your money back after a defined number of years.
The problem for Ralph is that he has the bit in his teeth. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again.

These products are not designed or sold by people with no understanding of human psychology. :)

Ha

As Ha observed, the problem is that Ralph likes the sound of the sizzle from this product (but the steak is full of gristle). A SPIA might be the way to go, but he needs to figure out a lot before making any decision about his use of funds.

The problem, as I understand it from Ralph's notes here, is that he wants a guaranteed return of principal AND a stream of income. He is being offered that with the insurance product. But the cost is high: not all of his investment will go into the annuity; some of it will go to the sales person. So not all of his money will be earning income.

Simple choice: CD's or bonds. With bonds one needs to understand the issuer, plus there is generally a commission to pay. With CD's your investment is protected up to $250,000. But Ralph has $300,000.

So, Ralph, stick it in CD's. But not in your local bank, and not in one bank. You will want to look at this website: Bank Ratings They rate banks for safety, and provide a list of the best rates for CDs of varying time periods.

When you get to the web site, at the top of the screen, click on CD Rates, then click on Consumer CD's. I see a choice here for investments, that won't pay you 7% but could pay you above 3% for the next 5-7 years. That would assure the return of the $300,000 with some income during the period. Your income would keep you even with inflation, assuming inflation doesn't go above 3%.

As others have said, if you can hold on until you are laid off, there would be unemployment along with the earnings from our CDs. You may be able to find part-time work as well.

See: in the 5 year CD section - Everbank paying 2.55%; in the 6-10 year section - Discover Bank paying 3%. All have 800 numbers and the customer service folks are happy to explain the process to getting the CDs.

If it were me, with the issues Ralph raises, I'd invest $200,000 in one bank with the highest APR, then $100,000 in another bank with the next highest APR. There might be two different maturity dates on the CDs, but one could always then buy a smaller term when they mature to make the 7 year window Ralph wants.

-- Rita

Ralph,

Have you considered setting up an automatic withdrawal to put a proper amount in your checking account each month? That will simulate a monthly paycheck for the year.

I just rebalanced my portfolio (happy new year) and calculated my "monthly paycheck" set up for automatic withdrawal for the year --from my money market fund to my checkbook.

It is a nerve wracking move, to be used to having a regular paycheck from work, then go from not having one. So you need to figure out how to creatively simulate your own monthly check. The thought of a monthly check for life from a SPIA sounds good -- you know a "paycheck" will never stop. Yet as others have pointed out, plunking all your retirement savings into that basket probably isn't the best option.

Would you really be comfortable putting all that into a SPIA?

Would you really be comfortable not having some of it into a guaranteed income stream (such as a SPIA)?

Maybe something in between the two extremes is your happy compromise?

IMHO, you need to take a step back and look at the overall picture.

As Ha observed, the problem is that Ralph likes the sound of the sizzle from this product (but the steak is full of gristle). A SPIA might be the way to go, but he needs to figure out a lot before making any decision about his use of funds.
Well, OK then, I get that part.

Ralph, like so many other posters who've started off here with an annuity question, it sounds as if you've already made up your mind and you're just looking for someone to help you justify your preconceived decision. I'm not going to do that, and I doubt I'd be able to change your mind.

But for everyone else who's reading this thread someday, Larry Swedroe's written an excellent book on alternative assets which still seems timely-- even though the annuity sales forces keep changing the vocabulary. A copy is probably available at the local library. You could also go to that Amazon.com link, choose "Search inside the book", search for the keywords "equity annuity" (no quotes), and then read pages 229-234. That 10 minutes could change a lot of minds.

If nothing else you'll be able to learn how to really have the Way of the Weasel Words with the English language.

73ss454, A CD at 5% would be nice. I'd much rather do it that way. I remember some years ago I was getting 9% on a CD. That's what I had planned but things didn't work out. As for unemployment. Getting half of what I earn now wouldn't cut it as my wife's medications would take up most of that. My wife said to me today "it seems so odd that you would give away $300,000 to get just a little back at a time. I hope you know what you are doing". So for now I will go into work on Monday and "create" some problems with the machinery just to make it look like I'm fixing them just to keep busy. Thanks for the heads up on that Pen Fed CD. I will look into it ...now.

OK, I have read all your replies several times and I respect your advice on NOT purchasing a fixed indexed annuity. It seems unanimous. But how else can I start receiving a guaranteed monthly income to supplement my SS? That CD that 73ss454 (sounds like a Chevelle I once owned..:)) suggested might do it...for a while. I don't have much time. I'm expecting to be told to go home this week as the work isn't there anymore. It's not only the threat of being laid off that bothers me, it's working in a place where I haven't had a raise in past 8 years. Lost my health ins., vacations, sick days etc. I can't gamble with my savings as it will be used for my income. The days for making money are over. I just need money to live on from now on. BTW. That PenFed CD was only 2.4% at 5 years.

Last edited:
Ralph, the 5% CD ended a few months ago. Pen Fed usually comes out with a deal on CD's in January so keep your eyes open.

You should be able to buy Cobra for health ins if you are laid off. Also unemployment will help out for a while till you can get your head together.

Stay away from sales people till you get a handle on things.

If for some reason you can't stay from the annuity sales person just take the paperwork home before you sign anything.

Some of the folks on the forum will help you figure out what it says. It will be 20 to 40 pages of things that are not good for you.

OK, I have read all your replies several times and I respect your advice on NOT purchasing a fixed indexed annuity. It seems unanimous. But how else can I start receiving a guaranteed monthly income to supplement my SS? That CD that 73ss454 (sounds like a Chevelle I once owned..:)) suggested might do it...for a while. I don't have much time. I'm expecting to be told to go home this week as the work isn't there anymore. It's not only the threat of being laid off that bothers me, it's working in a place where I haven't had a raise in past 8 years. Lost my health ins., vacations, sick days etc. I can't gamble with my savings as it will be used for my income. The days for making money are over. I just need money to live on from now on. BTW. That PenFed CD was only 2.4% at 5 years.

Hi Ralph and welcome to the forums sorry to hear about your ugly job situation.

Sadly there are no guarantees, despite what insurance salesman tell you. Insurance companies can and do go broke, and while this doesn't happen often and sometimes they get bailed out like AIG, the 5% is only guaranteed if you correctly read all of the fine print and the insurance companies stays in business.

I am going to suggest an alternative which still gets you the $15,000 year you need to live on, likely will provide you with a modest increase in income to help offset inflation and probably would leave you with a decent size nest egg for kids or to use if a nursing home is necessary. Historically this would have worked for most of the last 100 year, but we live in really challenging times so no guarantee :(

This is a variation of the couch potato portfolio developed by Scott Burns.
One of your first steps is to call Vanguard and ask them for help, with $300K portfolio they will probably suggested talking to a Vanguard financial planner and I think the $250 is probably money well spent.

In a nutshell I suggest taking 1/2 the $300,000 and buying Vanguard Total Bond Market Admiral Index Fund, (VBTLX) and the other 1/2 and buying the Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Index Fund (VTSAX). You then forget about it as much as possible for a year. At the beginning of next year you look at the total amount take 5% of the total. That is your spending money for the year. You then do what is called re-balancing. You sell which ever fund went up more and buy which ever fund went down (or up less). Meaning that you start each year with 1/2 your money in bonds and 1/2 in the stock fund.

But what happens if the market tanks like it did in 2008? My income will go down but I really need $15,000 a year to get by. Well you have two choices the 100% safe choice is to take 5% no matter what. The slightly riskier approach is to set a floor on the minimum you withdrawal. In your case to be competitive with the annuity I'd suggest $15,000. So you spend from your nest egg either $15,000 or 5% of the remaining balance which ever is more.

Here is what your spending and assets would have like if you had retired and started doing this 5 years ago. As you can see in 2008 your total asset dropped well below the starting level however by this year they came back above the starting level and in 2011 you could spend $15,663 which considering you have not had a pay raise in 8 years would be something. :)

Couch20062007200820092010
Total Bond Returns4.36%7.02%5.15%6.04%6.53%
Total Stock Returns15.63%5.57%-36.99%28.83%17.26%
Bond start$150,000$156,743$158,279$125,581$139,976
Stock start$150,000$156,743$158,279$125,581$139,976
Bond End$156,540$167,746$166,431$133,166$149,117
Stock End$173,445$165,473$99,732$161,786$164,136
Total$329,985$333,220$266,163$294,953$313,253
Withdrawal$16,499$16,661$15,000$15,000$15,663
Remaining Funds$313,486$316,559$251,163$279,953$297,590
Now there are tons of caveats to my proposal and ways of making changing withdrawal or investments to make either safer or giving you more spending money, but as starting place l I believe it is worth considering. I should point out that if you start out doing this 15 years ago you'd be withdrawing about $17,500 each year on the other hand if you started 10 years you have less than $300,000 in your portfolio, perhaps would run out of money in the next ~20 years.

To board regulars I realize I am ignoring inflation, not following the 4% SWR rule and making a few other changes, but I am trying to present a plausible alternative to 5% fixed index annuity that is simple to understand.

Ralph,

Will you get unemployment? Are you debt free? Can you tighten your belt if you get laid off and get by on unemployment and some part of your savings [for a little while] until you have had time to develop a better understanding of your situation before you make a permanent decision?

BTW - all anyone is concerned about is that you make the best decision for you given your situation! The concern is that you may not be armed with the knowledge to make a decision. Decisions made under duress (not thought out) often lead to a poor decision.

How much income do you need to generate to live on if you get laid off?

for the short-term: [Income Needed] = Unemployment + [How Much from savings]

What is the [Income Needed] variable on an annual basis?

If you cannot answer that question... you do not know if you can stop working or if you have go right back out and get another job!

Do you know how much annual income you need?

Clifp,

I think you have provided a very helpful example, and hope that Ralph will study it carefully before making any non-reversible decisions.

Ralph, take a very close look and consider carefully what Clifp posted - it is a reasonable option for you, and I don't see many others. As he said there are no guarantees in anything, but his 50/50 portfolio stands an excellent chance of working for you over the long haul.

Clifp: good stuff.

But what happens if the market tanks like it did in 2008? My income will go down but I really need $15,000 a year to get by. Well you have two choices the 100% safe choice is to take 5% no matter what. The slightly riskier approach is to set a floor on the minimum you withdrawal. In your case to be competitive with the annuity I'd suggest $15,000. So you spend from your nest egg either $15,000 or 5% of the remaining balance which ever is more.
To board regulars I realize I am ignoring inflation, not following the 4% SWR rule and making a few other changes, but I am trying to present a plausible alternative to 5% fixed index annuity that is simple to understand.

You intermediate solution sounds reasonable (assuming it meets his income needs).

Even if he had to take more than $15k for the first year to figure things out... getting his bearings is more important than making a hasty decision. [gotta do what ya gotta do!]

In the original trinity study. The market numbers are only up to 1995. But if a no inflation adjustment is taken, it indicates that 5% can be taken [from a 50/50 mix] with a high probability of success for 30 years [Tables 1 and 2]

Here is the study: Retirement Savings: Choosing a Withdrawal Rate That Is Sustainable

If Ralph qualifies for unemployment that will help out also.

One of the big expense he may have to cover is Medical. Assuming he has insurance where he works he should be able to use COBRA to continue those benefits (or if he is healthy he can shop for a more competitive plan).

Ralph... Medicare eligibility is at 65... In the mean time, coverage (depending on your health) could be expensive. Healthy or not... I would highly recommend that you maintain health insurance coverage so you do not jeopardize your nest egg. If you have a spouse, you need to factor her into the health care equation.

Wow! So much to digest and educate myself on with your suggestions especially the Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Index Fund. Thanks for the info. But, now I have another problem. My boss called me today and told me not to come in til Wednesday. This has never happened in the 47 years I've worked for the company. Didn't sleep last night and I doubt that I'll get any tonight. So, the first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is head on over to SS to see where I stand. The Vanguard Total Stock Market Admiral Index Fund idea scares me a bit as it sounds a bit complicated. The biggest financial dealings I've ever had has been cashing my paycheck to put money into the checking account and getting a CD. Looks like unemployment is in my near future but I'm not going to get it with working a couple days a week. I'm just about to throw in the towel. My wife asked "why don't we just budget ourselves and start drawing on the $300,000? Put it into a money market (now 1.24% to get some interest) and draw $1,000 a month to supplement your SS at hopefully $1,300 a month. $12,000 a year. $120,000 in ten years. $240,000 in 20 years. We can last maybe 25 years if we live that long and when it runs out, sell the house and go to a retirement place". But I told her that inflation might shorten things up a bit. Guys/gals, I've learned (but too late) one thing in life....NEVER, NEVER work for a small business where there is no retirement and few benefits. I had a few chances to better myself with a job on the Norfolk & Western Railway 45 years ago but, I was happy doing what I was doing and passed on it. My wife was working then. We had money. Bought a house, new car plus things we wanted. Was able to save. Oh, what a fool I was.

Ralph, I would not do anything with your savings right now. Let the job situation play out until its end. What you main goal should be is to qualify for unemployment, sonce that will provide you with some income for the next couple of years. Worse comes to worse, you draw a little money from your stash to tide you over. You have a long term (rest of life) decision to make: don't rush it, especially during what will likely be an emotional time for.

And FWIW, you did OK financially, it seems to me. You saved a nice bundle and are rapidly learning what you need to to button things down for the next stage of your life. Give yourself some credit and a break.

Have you thought about what you want to do after the job is done? Any retirement dreams you want to pursue? Had enough of the OH winters (spent 6 years in Lorain County and Mom grew up in Canton)? Let's not forget the good things that will come out of this.

Ralph, not much to do with Vanguard. Just give them a call and open an account. Then you can transfer the $ over and put it in the MM fund. After things fall into place for you then you can move it around.

Ralph, not much to do with Vanguard. Just give them a call and open an account. The you can transfer the $ over and put it in the MM fund. After things fall into place for you then you can move it around.

That to me sounds like a great idea. The MM fund is a great place to park your money while you collect your thoughts.

Ralph,

Hang in there. I agree with Brewer. Do not make any rash decisions. Let the job situation play out.

You may be in better shape than you think. You just need to take your time working through the issue about what to do with your money.

You goal is to maximize the benefit of what you have already. As you stated, you and your wife will need a budget.

Unfortunately some of this can be a little confusing at first. But much of it will make more sense after you take a little time to look at it and think about it.

It sounds like you have two major sources of income for the long-term: You nest egg and SS.

Make sure you look at all of your options for SS. Here is an article about a fairly common strategy with SS and an illustration at the end. After you read the article, look at that SS projection statement that SS sends you periodically.

The 62/70 Solution - Forbes.com

Back
Top Bottom