Giving notice to MC and thanks to ER.org

intent

Recycles dryer sheets
Hi all,

I gave my notice yesterday and one of my colleagues casually asked me how I was able to leave the job at 53. I thought about that, and thought about what I could tell him that would help him the most (as he was showing interest in learning how to achieve a similar result). It occurred to me that the best (quick) advice I could probably offer was to suggest he become a member in the ER.org community - teach a man to fish, and all that.

As I look at my stats, I'm shocked to learn that I joined this community all the way back in 2008. I've only contributed a bit over 90 posts in that time, but I've lurked and read and absorbed the collective wisdom with the best of 'em :cool:

As I begin this new journey, I just wanted to pop in and offer a sincere "thank you" to everyone who participates in this community. Here I've learned what I needed to learn, but probably more importantly, I've been inspired and motivated, and made to realize that it really is possible to earn freedom. You, collectively, are the living proof I, and my DW, needed to believe in the possibility of a better life.

And that's why, to anyone who might ask me in the future, 'How did you do it?,' I'll reply - "LBYM and get your butt over to ER.org and immerse yourself and amazing things can happen."

Honestly, I can't thank you enough. :flowers:

Congrats, your efforts have produced results!

Congrats. And that's a nice thing you want to do for that person.. pay it forward.

Yeah, times flies doesn't it.

I'm curious if you and I would qualify for the E-R.org pension plan yet... :LOL::cool:

I'm very happy for you and wish you the best. You did what needed to accomplish ER while other haven't.

Congratulations and enjoy your retirement. Your coworker having an interest may just read up on the board here, learn some things, and follow in your steps in the future.

Yet more congratulations! You’ve set a good example for your coworker. Hope he checks in soon.

Congratulations! I also ER'd at 53 and haven't regretted it. People are surprised that I'm retired at 63, and shocked if I tell them I've been retired for 10 years.

Just like you, ER.org gave me the courage to go for it and I'm grateful.

Congratulations!
Enjoy your retirement and don't be a stranger :)
I, too, have learned so much here, it's amazing.

Also add my congrats to your humility in acknowledging the contribution that ER made to your success. Good luck in your ER.

Congratulations, intent! :dance:

Please keep posting. As you know, there's a lot to be learned here...we're not only about finances and FIRE.

omni

...one of my colleagues casually asked me how I was able to leave the job at 53.
Congrats! When I told my client I was retiring (at 55), he asked if I won the lottery! I sure feel like it!

Congratulations!!! I hope to join you to FIRE myself in the near future.

Congrats!

I don't have much to offer here, but have learned a lot.

More importantly, I learned to start asking my FA questions and scrutinizing their statements. Once I did that, they were gone. :)

Bravo!

Keeping moving forward and enjoying life with more freedom and choices.

Congratulations on this significant milestone. You may have picked up good ideas and advice here (and other places), but you did the work. You should feel very proud of yourself.

Congrats. and he didn't ask you about numbers ...

Congrats. That is great.
Discovering this site led me to using varied retirement calculators and then felt comfortable to retire.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

My journey is similar to what I hope your friend’s will be. Someone like you retired early in my career. That planted the seed in my mind that I could do it too. You did that for your colleague. Then, your advice was spot on. LBYM’s which is similar to “save a bunch of money”, and get educated. This forum helped me a bunch. Early retirement is definitely one of those things where you don’t know what you don’t know. This group is very helpful in finding those things out.

We look forward to updates along the way. Make it the best time of your life so as not to waste the accomplishment you’ve achieved.

Congratulations! Eager to hear how you're enjoying this next stage.

Back
Top Bottom