Golfer / Racer / Missionary Retiring ??? @ 53

tstiles

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi from the suburbs of Houston

Looks like I'll be more retired than self employed from 2010 on ... FIRE tells me I can do it , don't tell anybody , but it still makes me nervous.

Thinking about retirement in Middle Tennessee ( wife grew up in Nashville and we both went to MTSU ) ... After 25 yrs of Houston summers , we are both ready for a bit milder summers / 4 seasons ... Middle Tn also offers the possibility of a reasonable cost education for our HS son ... Middle Tn appears to offer a more reasonable cost of living vs. our very nice suburb ( and the property taxes to prove it ) ... Mid Tn also puts us closer ( 2.5 hrs ) to parents who are doing great in West Tn.

Golf : I was in the golf biz for 30 yrs , but sold the mgt. co. and in process of selling the golf course I owned ... Maybe now I can play a little golf

Racer : I would love to be able to continue to race by miata with SCCA / NASA , but on my budget , sounds like I'll need to focus on Time Trials , HPDE's ... anybody else on here that has the road racing addiction ?

Missionary : For the past 3 yrs , I've worked PT for an international Christian relief agency ( working in Moldova , Transnistria , South Africa , Nigeria , Uganda , Sri Lanka , Mexico ) but called it a day a couple of months ago after concluding that the agency was not a good fit for me ... I would love to continue to engage in international and local missions , but the budget does not allow for self funded international travel ... We will be looking for a emerging , thinking , self examining faith community wherever we end up.

I'm fortunate in the the wife is supportive , daughter is almost done with college , son is OK with a move and health is excellent .

Looking forward to the community here and looking forward to the next stage.

Welcome to the boards! Once you leap off the retirement cliff, you'll (I hope) find the experience to be wonderful. You sound like you will keep mighty busy! I think moves for teenagers can be very difficult for them, so good that your son is on board.

Welcome!

I am especially glad to see someone else here who is considering a move north when they retire.

My dear friend Frank and I are planning to move to southern Missouri sometime in the next year or two, once he has retired. Seems that most people want to move south when they retire, but we really like Missouri and I guess we just have to be different. :LOL: The lower cost of living is one of our motivations for this move as well, and we really like the area. This will be quite an adventure. :)

Golf addiction is a no for me but road racing addiction is a big YES!!! Time Trials and HPDE is enough to satisfy my need for speed but I never did get into wheel to wheel racing so its hard to day if this will be too tame for you are not. A lot just depends on the group(s) that you run with and how good they are.

Ooops , FIRECALC is what I was referencing ... Even though it says I'm OK , I'm still nervous ... I guess I'll have a better idea in about 35 yrs.

Lister : I've done both the wheel to wheel and the Time Trial / HPDE thing ... Right now I'm having a ball with the HPDE's in Texas ( I instruct with a couple of groups ) ... I find that it's so much more laid back , less work on the car , and I get to introduce others to the hobby ... My concern is that if I move to Middle Tn , I'll be so far from the tracks ( but I guess I'll have the time ) ... What kind of car are you driving ?

W2R : I never thought of it as " moving north " , but you are right , Winters are much cooler in Tn than Houston .

Lister : I've done both the wheel to wheel and the Time Trial / HPDE thing ... Right now I'm having a ball with the HPDE's in Texas ( I instruct with a couple of groups ) ... I find that it's so much more laid back , less work on the car , and I get to introduce others to the hobby ... My concern is that if I move to Middle Tn , I'll be so far from the tracks ( but I guess I'll have the time ) ... What kind of car are you driving ?
QUOTE]

I agree HPDE is definitely more laid back and costs less so those are good things. Hopefully there are some tracks relatively close by for you in Tenn but if not its always a good excuse for a road trip. Or you can always do what they did in the old days in those parts and run moonshine.:LOL:

I am driving a 1958 Lister Corvette replica that I built over my last sabbatical. Its just a tad over 2000 lbs with 430 HP. What's not to like? :D

Hope it all works out for you, depending on the stock and housing markets I hope to be joining you in reitrement in a little over a year.

We also are among the few planning on moving north in our retirement. We are newly retired (6 months) and are still figuring out our game plan for the transition. Missouri is our final destination also. However, we are heading further north than W2R - to Columbia, MO.

We just returned from Columbia and it was cold. However, being from Michigan originally - we will adapt. Seeing the seasons change is a nice benefit of a northern move. I always have trouble getting fired up for the Christmas holidays when it is warm enough to ride my bike.

Riding the bike is something I'm looking forward to in Mid Tn ( summer ) ... lots of small hills vs Houston

Lister , You Dog ! ... Nice Ride ... 2000# and 430HP ... That's a wild ride ... Quite a contrast ro my 140 HP miata

We also are among the few planning on moving north in our retirement. We are newly retired (6 months) and are still figuring out our game plan for the transition. Missouri is our final destination also. However, we are heading further north than W2R - to Columbia, MO.

We just returned from Columbia and it was cold. However, being from Michigan originally - we will adapt. Seeing the seasons change is a nice benefit of a northern move. I always have trouble getting fired up for the Christmas holidays when it is warm enough to ride my bike.

Glad to learn that I'm not the only one down here who is planning to move north in retirement. :) I think that I will adapt to cold weather, and I think I might like the variety of weather too. We have visited Springfield several times over Mardi Gras (to get away from the madness) and over Thanksgiving, trying to experience the cold weather before we move there. Although there was snow and sleet once, several other times it was not very cold at all.

Missionary : For the past 3 yrs , I've worked PT for an international Christian relief agency ( working in Moldova , Transnistria , South Africa , Nigeria , Uganda , Sri Lanka , Mexico ) but called it a day a couple of months ago after concluding that the agency was not a good fit for me ... I would love to continue to engage in international and local missions , but the budget does not allow for self funded international travel ... We will be looking for a emerging , thinking , self examining faith community wherever we end up.

Yeah, you should fit in TN easily. Forget about the "thinking" part, though.

Hey tstiles,

Glad to see another racer here. I've been a lurker here and a racer for many years.
I started with HPDE and then got involved with wheel-to-wheel racing with BMW CCA, SCCA and NASA.

Still in the early 40's, but I'd like to get off the treadmill (work wise) some time in the next few years. But the biggest uncertainty for me is the cost of racing. I'd really like to do more of it when I have the time. But Miata should be fairly inexpensive to run (relatively) for you. Wish the SM series would be enough for me, but the speed just isn't fast enough for me!

Rgds,

RedMist

RedMist ,

Yeah , The cost of racing can put a serious dent in any retirement plan. I know what you mean about the miata not being fast enough ( I came out of SR / SRF / F2000 )

I think I'm going in reverse , F2000 to SRF to SM to HPDE instructor in a miata.

Good to see another racer

TS

Back
Top Bottom