Greetings from frozen Houston

DocRock

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello all,
Long time reader, first time participant. Pulled the plug on Dec 31st, 2010 at age 56, after 20+ years in health care administration. Wanted to do it 3 yrs ago but oh well, life and the stock market happens. But I stayed the course, didn't panic and now all is good. My wife and have always been 1) DINKS, 2) avid savers, 3) reasonable stewards of our finances and 4) debt free. Makes for a good combination, as I've learned from reading many of your posts. Anyway, my first month of FIRE has been absolutely splendid, despite the weather, and we're looking forward to what lies ahead. Immediate plan is to spend summers in PA (wife will retire in April) and winters in TX. I'll probably teach and do some consulting but not for at least a year while we sort out our living arrangements and I work on my golf game. I have always enjoyed reading these posts and learned a lot from y'all about the do's and don'ts of early retirement....and for that I thank you. Hope to be a contributor from now on.

Congratulations and welcome.

Welcome, good luck with the golf game :) , and lots of threads you might enjoy (check out this one, considering your DW's plan to continue working for the next couple of months: http://www.early-retirement.org/for...usband-support-group-54520-5.html#post1033034).
Yes....I saw the thread. My sweet wife has me at her beck and call, at least for the next couple of months. Doing all the shopping and house-hold chores with a smile on my face because she was carrying that load (and her job) when I was putting in the 14 hr days. Besides, I can get it all done and still make my afternoon tee-time.....;>)

On behalf of the Houston chapter - welcome, DocRock.

Welcome to the very bright side of retirement - you didn't have to get out in the crappy weather and go to w*rk. I'm three hours north of you. We're still iced in and don't care!!!

Welcome to the very bright side of retirement - you didn't have to get out in the crappy weather and go to w*rk. I'm three hours north of you. We're still iced in and don't care!!!
Boy...isn't that the truth! Watched the whole mess on TV with a hot cup of coffee and a feeling of "there but for the grace of FIRE go I".

Appreciate hearing from my fellow Houstonians and other East Texans. As we know, some of our finest weather will soon be upon us....as will RODEO. Can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to RODEO and my Committee work this year without having to worry about a real job.

Went outside yesterday morning. Too cold. Went back inside. I also watched the whole mess on TV. The Weather Channel guy was broadcasting from Houston yet showing San Antonio pictures. It got too confusing so I took a nap. Well, I put some more wood in the wood stove and then took a nap.

Back
Top Bottom