Hello!

SLV Golfer

Confused about dryer sheets
New board member from the SC/GA border in a golf course/lake community. Wife and I decided to slow down about 1.5 years ago. We are in our mid 40's (which puts us 20+ years below the average age in our community!) She is fully retired and I work a couple of days a week from home.

Looking forward to reading through all of the posts from the more "experienced retirees".

SLV Golfer

Hello and welcome.

I’ve often wondered if there were communities for the 40 something’s who have retired or FIREd. I’d love to join one since I can imagine being 20 years younger than those around you isn’t as fun.

Welcome to our wonderful forum, SLV Golfer!

We have folks of all ages here

Glad you've joined. You'll find a wealth of knowledgeable and helpful posters.

omni

Hello and welcome.

I’ve often wondered if there were communities for the 40 something’s who have retired or FIREd. I’d love to join one since I can imagine being 20 years younger than those around you isn’t as fun.

That would be interesting to see if there was such a thing. We actually quite enjoy our "older" neighbors. Since we've never had kids we lost most of our friends when we were in our late 20's and they all started popping kids out. So we've always gravitated to an older set of friends. We looked pretty hard at the Gulf Shores/Ft Morgan, AL area before we bought a house here (we moved from CO), but decided as much as we like the ocean, we're more scared of hurricanes and tourists. The biggest issue with our location is that there is no local shopping/dining to speak of, but thanks to Amazon, shopping isn't an issue. The other, but not a big deal is that to get to an Intl airport is a 2.5 hr drive.

Have you picked your retirement spot or are you in the looking phase?

Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your post FI life. I to gravitate to older friends. I think there is a lot to be learned from those who have really "lived life".

Besides the shopping issue do you prefer the SE to Colorado? Quite a different climate at least...

Welcome aboard the forum. Looking forward to hearing more about your post FI life. I to gravitate to older friends. I think there is a lot to be learned from those who have really "lived life".

Besides the shopping issue do you prefer the SE to Colorado? Quite a different climate at least...

I'm not sure what FI is? Still learning all the retirement lingo!

I love the cold & snow, but CO is getting overrun by people fleeing from other areas, so it was getting more crowded than we liked and real estate post COVID lockdowns blew up, so that was our sign to sell out and run. So far we are enjoying the South. I thought our winters would be a little warmer than they are, but so far this year and last year it seems like "winter" is really only Jan/some of Feb. I still can't complain too much....I played golf twice today, and then playing tomorrow, Friday & Sunday!

One interesting thing I have never seen until moving to the South was the springtime pollen explosion. These southern pines just rain a thick yellow pollen that covers everything....then you have to wash/powerwash your house. Two brightsides, it only last for about 3 weeks, and it doesn't seem to bother most peoples allergies.

FI = Financially Independent
Welcome to our wonderful forum.

Great, thanks BM. After joining, I haven't had time to really poke around yet.

Well if golf is a passion then you've done well to move to the SE. CO probably only has four months of great golfing weather. I know the summers are great there but winters can be rough too.

Actually nice that you haven't heard of FI :)

Back
Top Bottom