Hello from NH~contemplating retirement soon.

BlueSkiesGreenAcres

Confused about dryer sheets
Just hopping in here to say hello.
Looking forward to reading past threads and engaging with everyone for input on retirement strategies.
Considering advantages/disadvantages of moving from NH to Maine.

Cheers!
:)

Welcome to the forum!
This is a great place to learn and share.
Hope to hear more of your plans.

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you about your plans.

Welcome fro another NH poster.
We are in sw NH and are very happy in the state.
Why do you want to leave?

Hello; You will pay income taxes in Maine, but Real Estate taxes are generally lower than in NH I believe. Maine is more rural if you live inland or north of Portland. Beaches are more plentiful, as is the rocky coast. Fewer mountains to climb, but if you live in Cumberland or York counties, the white mountains are very accessible. From either of those counties, Boston is an easy day trip of no more than 1.5 hours. I love Maine, but I love NH too.

Hello; You will pay income taxes in Maine, but Real Estate taxes are generally lower than in NH I believe. Maine is more rural if you live inland or north of Portland. Beaches are more plentiful, as is the rocky coast. Fewer mountains to climb, but if you live in Cumberland or York counties, the white mountains are very accessible. From either of those counties, Boston is an easy day trip of no more than 1.5 hours. I love Maine, but I love NH too.

All great points and I agree about both states.
Even though we live in NH the bulk of our vacations are to the aine coast (Acadia)

As you can see the letter " " key is not working so can't say "aine " etc:cool::LOL:

We have some frinds who moved from Vermont (not a particularly low cost or tax-friendly state, but not the worst either) to York, Maine. While they like it there they commented that it is crazy expensive... so I would be careful and look at all the angles.

We have some frinds who moved from Vermont (not a particularly low cost or tax-friendly state, but not the worst either) to York, Maine. While they like it there they commented that it is crazy expensive... so I would be careful and look at all the angles.

Anything in a community on the water in Maine is expensive, from Southern York county all the way to Mount Desert. Portland has experienced unusual growth in its condo market (many million dollar condos). It has become a tourist mecca, know for its wonderful restaurants, breweries and distilleries. It was named best restaurant city in the US two years ago.

Don't get me wrong... I have visited that area of Maine many times and it is a wonderful area... just crazy expensive and too busy for my taste to live there.

Don't get me wrong... I have visited that area of Maine many times and it is a wonderful area... just crazy expensive and too busy for my taste to live there.
You're right. Housing is expensive. However after living in the Los Angeles area and the NYC area for a number of years, coming back to Maine will never seem congested to me and a bargain comparatively speaking. But there are some expensive ares of NH too, particularly in the Boston commute region of the state. YMMV.

Actually, a thought for the OP; living in the greater Portland area for most of my life, I'm more familiar with most of NH, than areas north of Augusta. That's just the way the geography works. Hiking in the White Mountains was one of our main haunts. So leaving NH won't necessarily deprive you of NH's attributes.

Last edited:
Welcome to our wonderful forum.
Ask any question you wish and there will be very informative responses.

Back
Top Bottom